Marty says Devils were "pretty close" to signing Parise... and

Daniel

I’m guessing some mixed reviews,” said Parise, who has 23 goals and 45 points for the Wild this season. “I don’t know though. I’ve said it before: what’s important to me is how good I was treated when I was there. I understand sports. Fans love their players and their teams and they don’t want to see players leave, but the part I’ll remember most is how good to me when I was there and that’s what matters.” http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=new-yorknew-jersey-devils&id=114&city=newyork&src=desktop

Mixed reviews? Uhhh... No Zach. Hopefully you realize how much we fvcking hate you now after this.

I'm taking my frustration for these last two seasons out on him. He can eat sh!t.

I don't blame you. It's also the pent of frustration of the last two (well, 1 and 3/4) seasons of Devils hockey. Not just Parise.

Nonetheless this will be a nightmare game for the folks trying to make a Devils game more of a family experience. Going to hear a lot of Sucks echoing throughout the arena

And you're right there won't be mixed reviews. I would be shocked if as many as 5% cheered for him. it's going to be overwhelming boos

I don't blame you. It's also the pent of frustration of the last two (well, 1 and 3/4) seasons of Devils hockey. Not just Parise.

Nonetheless this will be a nightmare game for the folks trying to make a Devils game more of a family experience. Going to hear a lot of Sucks echoing throughout the arena

And you're right there won't be mixed reviews. I would be shocked if as many as 5% cheered for him. it's going to be overwhelming boos

People should leave their kids at home or cover their ears. Its gonna be nasty, and it should be. I hope Parise has nothing but non-complementary things to say afterwards, other than how impressed he was by the amount of venom spewed his way.

Yep he's pretty much coming at the perfect time, it's the perfect storm of frustration and anger within the fanbase. I haven't seen the fanbase this frustrated in a long time. Even the 2010-2011 season was quickly brought back (somewhat) from rock-bottom by Lemaire, but we're right in the middle of the fall downward and Parise's in town.

I honestly don't care if the jerk-off has sh!t thrown at him.

I'll be there, and don't plan to boo him.  I would actually give him some kind of positive acknowledgment if it wouldn't be drowned out by the boos, which I'm expecting.  He didn't go to a rival, and didn't go to a place like Pittsburgh to be on some kind of dream team. 

Not against booing ex-Devils that bolted in free agency thought.  I was definitely part of the boos when Gomez made his return, and actually tried to substitute Gomez for Philly in the second part of the Rangers suck thing. 

I'll be there, and don't plan to boo him. I would actually give him some kind of positive acknowledgment if it wouldn't be drowned out by the boos, which I'm expecting. He didn't go to a rival, and didn't go to a place like Pittsburgh to be on some kind of dream team.

Not against booing ex-Devils that bolted in free agency thought. I was definitely part of the boos when Gomez made his return, and actually tried to substitute Gomez for Philly in the second part of the Rangers suck thing.

People are entitled to feel however they want about Parise, but the way he left will always piss me off. Plus it was different with Parise- he was the captain, the heart and soul. Gomez was a good player, but he was a dipsh!t. At least Gomez also made no bones about the fact he was out of here the minute he could leave. Parise deserves all the hatred directed his way tomorrow.

Why did Brodeur bring this up now, at this time of the season? Good bye Marty no one is interested in you or your thoughts.

Lou please retire and take Marty, Pete and Scott Steven with you.

Because he was asked about it because Parise is playing here tomorrow. He's not just sitting around mentioning stuff. If ANY other player was as candid with their answers, they'd be celebrated for their openness. Marty so much as mentions he feels a draft, and its like a pack of dogs goes after him.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

I'd cheer when his name is announced, just because he was a big part of the team for a long time. After that, fvck him. I'd curse his name and boo every time he touches the puck until my voice gives out. All that sh!t about him wanting to stay was just that, sh!t. He didn't have any intention of signing in NJ. To make matters worse he managed to drag it out way too long. fvck off Zach. 

Edited by NJDevils1214

I'd cheer when his name is announced, just because he was a big part of the team for a long time. After that, fvck him. I'd curse his name and boo every time he touches the puck until my voice gives out. All that sh!t about him wanting to stay was just that, sh!t. He didn't have any intention of signing in NJ. To make matters worse he managed to drag it out way too long. fvck off Zach.

Don't cheer his name when its announced. He bailed and left unfinished business. Remember that when they announce his name.

I’m guessing some mixed reviews,” said Parise, who has 23 goals and 45 points for the Wild this season. “I don’t know though. I’ve said it before: what’s important to me is how good I was treated when I was there. I understand sports. Fans love their players and their teams and they don’t want to see players leave, but the part I’ll remember most is how good to me when I was there and that’s what matters.” http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=new-yorknew-jersey-devils&id=114&city=newyork&src=desktop

Mixed reviews? Uhhh... No Zach. Hopefully you realize how much we fvcking hate you now after this.

More from that article:

At the time of Parise’s signing, Lamoriello acknowledged that he couldn’t compete with the tug of home. He understood. Parise now gets to see his father, former NHLer J.P. Parise, almost daily. His dad is able to attend morning skates and join him for pregame meals, not to mention the time devoted to being a hands-on grandpa to Parise’s newborn twins, a boy, Jaxson and a girl, Emelia, just over two months old.

Was coming home as good as he had hoped?

“It’s been better,” he admitted. “It’s been great.”

Maybe Devils fans will understand that, too. Parise didn’t just chase the dollar signs. In fact, he left significant money on the table (Philadelphia made an offer far more lucrative than the one he signed) to play for Minnesota.

Maybe Devils fans won’t understand. But, according to Parise, that’s okay, too.

“People believe what they want to believe. I don’t know. Maybe it made more sense to them since I wanted to go back to Minnesota,” he said. “You never know.”

Reading that makes me just as disappointed in Lou (pissed actually) as in Zach.

As much as SD gets flamed on the boards here on this subject, I pretty much agree with his view that Lou never should've let Zach go to free agency.

I've been going back and forth on whether or not I'd boo Zach on his first return to the Rock. The last week or so, I've concluded that if I were going to the game (I'm probably not), I'd boo him vociferously upon his introduction and his first few touches of the puck. It would be cathartic to let it out. After that, I think the anger/disappointment/sadness would subside and I'd be able to move on.

Who cares, really.  It's not like ZP is tearing up the league from the XCel Energy Center.  He's barely got 30 goals and their team is on the fringe of either making or missing the playoffs.

You wanna pay $100 million for that?

Suter was an abomination in Sochi (games that counted). 

I'm happy with how things went...

We will find another champion...

Even if it was a 50/50 split from the crowd of people wanting to wish Parise well and others angry as fvck, the negative reactions will always win out. Even if it was 80/20. Are pro-Parise fans going to cheer him on every time he touches the puck? Of course not. The fans that are angry will be booing all night.

I've been saying my piece on Parise since July 1st 2012. I thought his decision was fine. He didn't quit on anything. He didn't demand a trade. Do we as fans ever care about the players that wanted to stay, but weren't offered contracts. Maybe Brian Rafalski and Brian Gionta wanted to be lifelong Devils and Lou didn't offer them contracts. In that case, they were let down by the franchise? Did we feel for them or think they were wronged? Do we care when a player takes a hometown discount to stay in NJ and then gets traded or bought out? Most fans get angry when players turn refuse to waive their NTC when they are asked to be traded.

In the end, the player is hurt just as often as the fan is, but the fan always sides with the team. If Parise ended up taking $25 million less to stay with NJ (realistic if he passed on Philly's gigantic offer), and then produced at a similar rate, the team struggled and Lou was able to get someone to take his him in a trade, Parise would probably feel betrayed after choosing the Devils and your average fan would probably celebrate the transaction, and give two sh!ts about the human side of things.

With Zach, a lot of people will find reasons for hating Zach's decision. But it didn't matter what he did or didn't do leading up to the decision. People loved Zach. They loved the 2012 run. They thought he was a prototypical Devil and could spend his entire career here. He let them down by leaving. That's all. I don't think anyone was more devastated than Lou. Is that worth venomous hate? Apparently, so.

Edited by devilsrule33

I just don't buy this stuff. I don't think Zach had any intention of re-signing in NJ. The one year deal was very telling IMO. He was probably blowing smoke up Marty's ass just like he did to Lou and the rest of us.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I feel like the chunky kid who gets told some hot kid is gonna take them to the prom only they never show. And I've never gotten over that!!!

I mean, I WOULD never have gotten over that.... If it happened..... ;)

Damn you Parise!

• Like 1