Possible New OT rules

redruM

interesting... I never really considered how they took care of ice back then. Did people just come on and shave the ice by hand?

I saw an old old OLD video somewhere of basically this process:

In 1939, Zamboni created the Iceland Skating Rink in Paramount, California. In order to resurface the skating rink, 3 or 4 workers would have to scrape, wash and squeegee the ice. A thin layer of water would then be added for the fresh ice. This process was extremely time consuming and Zamboni wanted to find a more efficient way to resurface the ice.[

The first one he got to work was built in 1949...not sure when the NHL started to use them. 

I could be wrong about the MLS, but soccer around the world does not have OT unless you are int he knockout round of a tournament, like the world cup, but round robin play, no OT.

Clearly you either donot understand the game or you are wathcing bad teams...

my guess is probably both...

I don't keep up on other sports, so I probably just caught a world cup game and assumed all soccer was like that. All the other NA sports leagues have OT though. That I'm pretty sure I got right, lol.

Seattle isn't a bad team. But my opinion the sport in general is nothing compared to football hockey or boxing. Not a soccer dude

I could be wrong about the MLS, but soccer around the world does not have OT unless you are int he knockout round of a tournament, like the world cup, but round robin play, no OT.

Clearly you either donot understand the game or you are wathcing bad teams...

my guess is probably both...

I hate the shootout, the loser point, 4v4 OT, and the idea of extending OT 3v3. I honestly never saw the problem with ties. I wish the system was 2 points for a win, 1 point for a tie, 0 points for any loss. If not that then 3 points for a regulation win, 2 points for a OT win, 1 point for a tie, and 0 points for any loss. I know that's impossible since the new NHL is all about how their must always be a winner/loser. I can dream though.

To be more realistic, I like the idea of 10 minute OT with the long change and a 3-2-1-0 system.

Edited by thefiestygoat

correct, I obviously know ice quality deteriorates over playing time, I'm wondering if the rate at which it deteriorates increases.

So if you play 30 minutes on it without resurfacing (which is only 5 more mins than is played in it now) is that final 5 mins exponentially worse to warrant the need to resurface?

It's hard to say if it deteriorates faster, you could probably make a case for either side but there's not really an easy way to measure it.  In my opinion, the 25 minutes of third period plus overtime is pushing it, so I think if overtime is any longer, they should really do a cut.

The technology of ice resurfacing is much better than it was in the NHA days, but we also have stronger and faster skaters that turn and stop harder than they did, so the ice takes more of a beating than it did back then too.  At 1:40 of this video you see some guys working on the ice between periods of a game in 1929...

It only takes 7 minutes to zamboni the ice.  Have a short intermission.  Hockey games are too short to begin with.

i agree with this i often feel like hockey games are a little too short. from start to finish your usually looking at about 2.5 hours..most other sports are longer football/baseball.. i wish the periods were just a little bit longer or something.

Seattle isn't a bad team. But my opinion the sport in general is nothing compared to football hockey or boxing. Not a soccer dude

Depends who you are comparing them to, not sure they could beat anyone in the premier league... and Hockey is great, still my favorite sport to watch, I havenot watched a boxing match in a decade, that sport died along time ago....

Problem with soccer is Americans love scoring, not scoring chances, so they donot get soccer, If you watch soccer at the highest level ( lets be honest, most donot want to watch 2 bad football teams either) its a beautiful thing to see.

Boxing hasn't died if you've kept up with it bro its well alive. With what's going on with it. I know that the sounders have the most hardcore fan base in the states. They love their dam team lol.

Depends who you are comparing them to, not sure they could beat anyone in the premier league... and Hockey is great, still my favorite sport to watch, I havenot watched a boxing match in a decade, that sport died along time ago....

Problem with soccer is Americans love scoring, not scoring chances, so they donot get soccer, If you watch soccer at the highest level ( lets be honest, most donot want to watch 2 bad football teams either) its a beautiful thing to see.

Edited by CarterforPresident

Boxing hasn't died if you've kept up with it bro its well alive. With what's going on with it. I know that the sounders have the most hardcore fan base in the states. They love their dam team lol.

I'm def a casual fan, but out of the matches I've seen, it's like a solid 30-40% get a total WTF was he watching card from a judge. That's completely insane to me and I feel like a part of why people would get turned off. I still don't understand why anyone wants to watch a Mayweather Jr fight. Oh gee, he's fighting some other dude who doesn't have a chance? Awesome.... OH LOOK he punched him while he was waiting for the ref to give instruction! Wow, pure excitement.....

Regarding soccer i respect the sport but yeah it is just too boring, especially when there are as many as 38 games... I just can't get into it when there are so many ties or 1-0 games. It would almost be more exciting to me if the number of games was decreased a la the nfl.

But when it comes to World Cup I will get into it because every game and every play means so much more.

Regarding soccer i respect the sport but yeah it is just too boring, especially when there are as many as 38 games... I just can't get into it when there are so many ties or 1-0 games. It would almost be more exciting to me if the number of games was decreased a la the nfl.

But when it comes to World Cup I will get into it because every game and every play means so much more.

so 162 games in baseball is OK, even thou thats like watching paint dry, but soccer should only have 16 games??  you do realize they play 38 league games so they play each team home & away??  And those 38 are only league games, most team also play in the League Cup, FA Cup, & some also play in the Eurpean leagues as well.

Again if you watch bad teams then its bad soccer, watch Arsenal/Liverpool or Man U Man city, or Barca/ Real & tell me that's boring....

so 162 games in baseball is OK, even thou thats like watching paint dry, but soccer should only have 16 games?? you do realize they play 38 league games so they play each team home & away?? And those 38 are only league games, most team also play in the League Cup, FA Cup, & some also play in the Eurpean leagues as well.

Again if you watch bad teams then its bad soccer, watch Arsenal/Liverpool or Man U Man city, or Barca/ Real & tell me that's boring....

I don't watch baseball religiously as I do the nfl or nhl. To me baseball is like soccer in that it's hard to get excited watching on TV and is much better in person.

Like I said big games in soccer are exciting because there is a lot on the line and one play can be the game, but I just can't bring myself to watch multiple games a week as I would nfl or nhl because not enough happens.

+100 soccer has a hard time getting a strong following on TV to match the other sports.

I don't watch baseball religiously as I do the nfl or nhl. To me baseball is like soccer in that it's hard to get excited watching on TV and is much better in person.

Like I said big games in soccer are exciting because there is a lot on the line and one play can be the game, but I just can't bring myself to watch multiple games a week as I would nfl or nhl because not enough happens.

I hate to say it...but after last night, 3v3 OT is awesome

Totally agree..Small sample size of 1 for me seeing that, but i'd take that over the shootout. Lots of 2 v 1 rushes. Maybe the shootout should be replaced by a 2 v1 contest? I kid, but I i'd take almost anything over the shootout.

3 on 3 is just a far better option than shootouts. It's more entertaining and closer to real hockey. Because of the personnel on the ice, all it takes is one guy getting rubbed out of the play or caught up ice and boom....legit scoring chance the other way.

If a game can go 4 on 4 and then 3 on 3 for 10 minutes with no goals being scored, then no team deserves to win and it should be a tie.