• Nov 12
    • Dec 12
    • Jan 13
    • Feb 13
    • Mar 13
    • Apr 13
    • Oct 13
    • Never

I'm stunned he actually admitted that contract lengths are on the table. And that the players offered a longer than five-year CBA. Those were supposedly two big obstacles. I still don't trust Fehr not to have put some other poison pill in there that he conveniently left out of the public statement (just like Bettman's 50-50 offer which hosed the players in every other way), and I'm not sure if they agreed on HRR yet when Fehr said they didn't discuss 'transition' yet but overall this was a much better press conference than I feared it would be.

I still want to know why they requested mediators three hours ago if they made this offer now, was internal pressure mounting on the Fehrs enough for this kind of about-face?

Edited by NJDevs4978

In my opinion contract lengths are one of the biggest problems with the league right now. Teams like the flyers can offer 3-4 lifetime 100+m contracts in one summer. I know the players that were offered said contracts didnt end up there. But the way the system is now a wealthy team can do this several times while a team like the preds were forced into doing it once and most likely cant get any big peices to their team for a long time.

I'm stunned he actually admitted that contract lengths are on the table. And that the players offered a longer than five-year CBA. Those were supposedly two big obstacles. I still don't trust Fehr not to have put some other poison pill in there that he conveniently left out of the public statement (just like Bettman's 50-50 offer which hosed the players in every other way), and I'm not sure if they agreed on HRR yet when Fehr said they didn't discuss 'transition' yet but overall this was a much better press conference than I feared it would be.

Yeah last time he left out that the NHLPA proposal had insurance against shrinking revenues which is a pretty big deal. There's very likely something in there he's not mentioning.

Really? Fehr is responsible for everything?

NHL just refuses to budge on contract length. Walking out is about sending a hard line. They figure the NHLPA will cave since most players don't have contracts over 5 years, ignoring that the long term "cap circumventing" deals enable teams to offer other players contracts and spend over the cap.

Would you take an offer seriously if just three hours ago your opposite negotiator said mediators were needed again?

Fehr was spinning, something he said in the press conference must have pissed off the owners so they "took everything off the table". At least until tomorrow.

Regardless this certainly looks like the home stretch.

Agreed. People need to jump off the ledge. You dont agree on so many issues, then suddenly "pull everything off the table". We'll see a deal soon folks

Agreed. People need to jump off the ledge. You dont agree on so many issues, then suddenly "pull everything off the table". We'll see a deal soon folks

Who said there was an agreement? The PA did, the league didn't. Obviously there was something in the PA's offer that caused a swift rejection, and Fehr knew it so he ran up to the press conference before that could happen to try to make a PR grab. This is just total amateur hour.

I can't wait for the league to say THIS offer was de-linked and that will never be accepted, I don't think that message has gotten through to Don yet. Maybe another ten rejections will get it through.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Who said there was an agreement? The PA did, the league didn't. Obviously there was something in the PA's offer that caused a swift rejection, and Fehr knew it so he ran up to the press conference before that could happen to try to make a PR grab. This is just total amateur hour.

I can't wait for the league to say THIS offer was de-linked and that will never be accepted, I don't think that message has gotten through to Don yet. Maybe another ten rejections will get it through.

Lets see what Uncle Gary has to say

Apparently the NHL came up with an offer, where they offered to come down off various issues, if the NHLPA agreed to specific concessions.

The NHLPA then "cherry-picked" the elements the NHL came down off of, said the NHL wasn't pushing for them anymore and claimed in the media that they were close to a deal.

Regardless they do actually seem close to a deal to me. Hard to tell cause Bettman is so angry at Fehr's press conference he's not doing a great job articulating the differences.

They're not close now that make whole and other things are 'off the table'. Whether you want to believe it or not is one thing, the league clearly stated their offer was non-negotitable, Fehr called the league on it because their October offer was 'non-negotiable' too and the league acted like a five-year old taking their ball and going home. And Fehr acted like a weasel with that joke of a double press conference.

Haha, now the rhetoric comes out to play! Suicide bombers, the Hill we die on. This is just precious.

The league needs to explain why five years is a 'hill we die on'. Give numbers over how much money insurance on 5% of contracts cost you, maybe I'll listen.

Whoa, Fehr and players butting in on bettmans Presser.

What did they do? I'm only half listening to the firm of Bettman and Daly on the radio. I know some pictures have gone up of sullen-looking players in the back. I hope a coup happens now. As much as I don't like Bettman, if I could only get rid of one Fehr's an even bigger weasel.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.