• Nov 12
    • Dec 12
    • Jan 13
    • Feb 13
    • Mar 13
    • Apr 13
    • Oct 13
    • Never

The players can't cave at this point. It has to be their agreement. They gave way too much in the last CBA and they've offered to give away a ton again. This is a profitable league the way it stands. If the NHL has teams losing money it's their problem and has nothing to do with the players. The players have given enough. There shouldn't be teams in Nashville, Phoenix, Florida and so on. You could even argue New Jersey (I know... just saying...) Bettman and co. are at fault for the locations of these franchises. This isn't about us as fans this is about the players and their payers. The owners can't control themselves from themselves and that is why we are where we are. It has nothing to do with the players. The players have given plenty.

I love the "It's not Bettman, he's just a voice for the owners" comments I see everywhere. Yeah, you're right...he's hired to do the owners will at all costs. He will lie, cheat, and more importantly steal ALL he can from the players, just like every other lawyer out there is paid to do. Just not many lawyers are paid 8mill a year to do it. Let me guess...it was in good faith Bettman brought up player/owner only meeting without him and Fehr. No it was try to negotiate a contract with people not as versed in these things. The players MET in good faith with the thought they were going to discuss and overcome some of the more important issues. Owners took it as contract or CBA negotiations. When they came back with a proposal on those discussions....NOT negotiations mind you...as the last 2 days weren't suppose to be that...Bettman then again pulled another move of acting horrified, speachless, etc etc etc.

Bettman may not be the sole person at fault on the owners side but he sure as sh!t is the cause for every single damn thing that happens. Make no doubt about it. He is paid to make the OWNERS money under any circumstance possible. Lie, cheat and steal...he doesn't give a sh!t about the fans or the game either...not matter what some fans think or how the media tries to spin it.

Although I hate the Rangers I will always love Lundqvist. Great goalie and better yet an amazing person. He is a class act off the ice and he treats the fans the right way. But of course I will always root against him when he puts on that Rag jersey.

The thing is, the owners who want to win will find a loophole and the players will get paid anyway. It certainly happened last CBA

I have no doubt part of that will happen. Isn't that something we've all applauded LL for years? The fact he can find loopholes in the CBA to work in the Devils' advantage? I don't however think if the players fold right now to the NHL demands they will get paid so to speak........15yrs from now.....and that's the problem the "Crosby's" are fighting for.

"I think it's embarrassing that we haven't been able to agree with the owners. It's embarrassing to people who follow the sport and live their lives around hockey. We have a responsibility towards them. I can think the owners have a big part of it (the conflict) but both sides have to take responsibility for it"

Hopefully more smart guys among the players will start to get involved and make their voices heard. I'm not sure an all out internal war against Fehr would be good at this stage (but it would be entertaining). I think the fastest solution is if the moderates push for a deal while allowing Fehr to save face.

I hate him, but hes spot on

Just to clarify, he didn't say the bolded part. ;)

All the Henrik love in here is disgusting. We are sports fans, not dignitaries. We are hardwired to hate rival teams players, despite their personalities, philanthropy or generally if they're a nice person. Part of the appeal of sports to me is the ability to irrationally love and or hate things, yet not really having to explain any of it, lol.

I love my team and I love this sport but enough already cancel the season or drop the puck, if Sidney Crosby (and yes I dislike him) but if he does pay the insurance to go over seas and play that to me will mean we lost another season and its both sides fault!

C'mon I want to see some NHL hockey enough already!

Hey players, get over it, you're paid well, VERY well in comparison to what the league brings in, all 30 teams as a whole. The owners are going to win. So just agree to a deal. Fehr is not in your best interests, if he doesn't realize, the sooner you agree to a deal the better it is for every player. Now it seems it's all about Fehr and the players' egos. Players, you CANNOT make anywhere near this money without the NHL. So suck it up. (rant over).

All the Henrik love in here is disgusting. We are sports fans, not dignitaries. We are hardwired to hate rival teams players, despite their personalities, philanthropy or generally if they're a nice person. Part of the appeal of sports to me is the ability to irrationally love and or hate things, yet not really having to explain any of it, lol.

Fortunately, we're not all like this.

I think the KovalCup clause is what's really holding this whole process back.

Basically:

The NHLPA wants the KovalCup Clause to mean that every year Kovalchuk is under contract his team should the KovalCup

The NHL wants it every other year.

Neither side is budging.

KOVALCUP!

Aha! This guy, love this guy.

On Contract term limits

What would happen is, guys like Sidney Crosby would end up taking 20 percent of whatever the cap would be — for the entire term for five or seven years — and there would be a couple other guys on the team that would do that, then it would completely crush the middle- and lower-tier players," Mayers said.

Hmmm, at first blush I want to agree with the players here, but the more I think about it, the more I wonder if my thought process is flawed!

now I'm thinking Oh well, too bad! who's fault is that! its a star powered league. if you want more cash, skate and play like sid the kid!

the cap is what it is! you have half the revenues, dolling it out is the desgretion of the team management. why should the owners get strapped with legacy contracts, which also hurt the middle class and the product on the ice?

ok, now whats the counter arguement

I think the union is a bit mistaken on this point. Not to say that cap hits for top players won't go up - they will - but the way the escrow system works, if you have a bunch of front-loaded contracts in the league, that means that owners are ultimately overpaying players - the players' share is defined as a percentage of total revenues, no more, no less. If you've got teams paying well over the cap in salary (I found that the top 12 teams in terms of salaries paid paid 109% of the cap amount in 2011-12), that costs everyone else money out of escrow. I don't really buy the argument because on the one hand it's saying that you'll have to pay guys a ton of money to keep them but that somehow every team won't have money for 2nd and 3rd liners? It doesn't add up. Nor does Fehr's claim that the NBA lacks a middle class add up, I suspect he's mistaking the fact that NBA teams more than any other sport rely on 2-3 players to provide the bulk of the wins.

eldon: The owners of the Leafs and Rangers can't make this much money in guaranteed profit anywhere else.

Edited by Triumph

I think the union is a bit mistaken on this point. Not to say that cap hits for top players won't go up - they will - but the way the escrow system works, if you have a bunch of front-loaded contracts in the league, that means that owners are ultimately overpaying players - the players' share is defined as a percentage of total revenues, no more, no less.

Ok, this coming from Tri settles it!!!! :cheers: lets now move on to the CBA term which seems like an easy fix, 8 years! done!

there has to be more serious issues than these two, if not both sides are bozos!

1 hour ago: "Trying to set up something for this week, but nothing finalized yet," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly wrote Sunday in an email to The Associated Press

How freaking hard is it to say, "Ok Steve, lets meet Tuesday. Sound good?". Bettman, Daly, the Fehrs and the players should be available to bargain at moments notice. The owners may have prior commitments though

Fortunately, we're not all like this.

Wah wah wah. Big ol baby. I bet you feel high and mighty being a more cordial fan than I. I assure you a place in heaven awaits you for your selfless deeds.

If you don't believe baseless hatred isn't part of sports, then sir, you are not a sports fan. You took me way too literally, it's not as if I sit at home wishing death upon rival players, but my loyalty to team just makes me want to call them losers, even if they say something completely sensible. The fact that you think you're better than I for not doing that, makes me think you need to look at yourself a little more.

Wah wah wah. Big ol baby. I bet you feel high and mighty being a more cordial fan than I. I assure you a place in heaven awaits you for your selfless deeds.

If you don't believe baseless hatred isn't part of sports, then sir, you are not a sports fan. You took me way too literally, it's not as if I sit at home wishing death upon rival players, but my loyalty to team just makes me want to call them losers, even if they say something completely sensible. The fact that you think you're better than I for not doing that, makes me think you need to look at yourself a little more.

Do you realize that you are calling him out for thinking he is better than you for not baselessly hating people who wear a different uniform, yet at the same time you are saying that you are better than him because you do? Guess what, anyone who posts on here is a bigtime Devils fan. We don't need a dick-measuring contest to determine who is a better fan. And certainly if there was a necessity to rank fans from best to worst, blind hatred for other people isn't what I would base it on.

Look I'm no Lundqvist fan either, but I am not so blinded with hate that I can't admit when he says something sensible. It doesn't make me any less of a fan. You don't have to throw logic and reason out the window to be a big sports fan.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.