Official 2009 New York Mets Offseason Thread

Prucenterrules

wow that has to be the dumbest error Santana has made.. instead of throwing the ball to 1st on a bunt by Bourne he tries to tag him and then throws the ball on the backhand high and out of Murphy's reach..

does the terrible mets defense EVER end?

I dont understand how Tatis wasn't able to catch that ball... it didnt hit anything, it just fell before it even reached the wall..

and then Mike Hampton hooks one into that short LF porch.... and now the Mets botch a pickoff because Angel Berroa is sleeping.

Edited by nmigliore

This entire team needs to be euthanized

first of all David Wright is genetically programmed to gag it up in a big spot. Castillo gets on with 0 out so one of two things will happen. a K or a DP. DP of course. Tatis base hit...thank you where was that in the 1st? Then Murphy on the shallowest single in MLB history and here comes Francouer who is thrown out by about 12 feet. At least he tried to knock down Pudge.

I can't take this much stupidity at once.

i thought that was the pussiest (is that even a word?) way of trying to knock down a catcher actually.. im glad gary and keith are on him about it

btw, i know we all hate castillo... but he is hitting .297/.393/.348 on the year, he has the fewest strikeouts among all other starting position players, and is 2nd on the team in walks.. its definitely been a bounce back/'what we expect from Castillo with his current contract' type of year for him.

i think its just some of his defensive blunders that have made him look bad..

Edited by nmigliore

boy Angel Berroa just flat out sucks. I mean I didn't think he could be much worse than Argenis Reyes... but Im sure he is. He cant even play fundamental baseball, so I guess he fits in with this group.

Edited by nmigliore

Satan Berroa can be given his outright release tonight. Can't execute a damn thing, let him go chew that big wad of gum on some street corner in the Dominican Republic. You know it's bad when Gary Cohen is pleading for you to show that you can do SOMETHING?

Rooting against the Phillies is sorta like rooting against the Yankees, it's kinda futile to do it till the playoffs cause they're gonna make it anyway (I know the Yankees didn't last year, but they're gonna spend $50 million if they have to at the deadline this year to ensure they do).

Well at least the Phillies got murdered tonight...not that it matters but I like seeing them lose

that Cardinals team is going to be a force to be wrecking with for the rest of this year.. their rotation is pretty damn deep with Carpenter-Wainwright-Lohse-Pineiro .. and now they added the OF bat they so desperately needed.. look out. They are definitely the favorites to win the NL Central.

well now we have to try and score against the K-Rod wannabe Valverde.. ah well, like I have been saying, we'll have a nice draft pick next year.

Edited by nmigliore

Yeah, can't beat their pricing, and the building itself looks like it's a nice one (apparently CitiField takes some cues from it). I was talking strictly from the on-field POV...as much as the Mets can be a disaster at times (and I've seen my share of awful Met teams...Jeff Torborg and Art Howe anyone?), and as miguided as the Wilpons can be, I do think they at least TRY. The Pirates flat-out don't. The only way they'll ever be good is to have a ton of young talent come up at the same time, and hope they mature so quickly that they have a year or two window to win before all of those players depart. The Mets screw up and screw up royally, but at least we know we have ownership that will spend if inclined. I can't imagine going into EVERY SEASON knowing that my team has almost no chance. That's why I'm finding baseball harder and harder to watch. I'm not absolving the small-market teams of blame either...more than one owner pockets the money he receives via revenue sharing, as opposed to putting it into the product on the field.

Very true.. At least we aren't one of those teams that's just in it for the business aspect

I'm trying to think about what Omar might do at the deadline. He's already stated they are going to be buyers. Comical...but he can't just publicly throw in the towel while the team is still "competing" on the field.

But let's be optimistic, suppose July 31st rolls around and the Mets pick up their play a bit (they're due...right?) and are 5.5 out of the WC. Now if you do the right thing and sell or stay put, then Citi Field becomes a morgue for the final 2 long months of the season. The Mets are laughingstocks, Halladay is a Philly or Yankee and both those teams make the playoffs. We keep talking about Bernazard, the medical staff, and whatever other bizarre events that should happen to us. Tickets are overpriced as it is so attendance plummets to the 6-7,000 range. The Mets cease to exist.

Or we can go out and get Halladay and another bat, Aubrey Huff for example. We show the fans that while the WC is a long shot, we're going down fighting. We have arguably the top 2 pitchers in baseball for at least this year and next. Maybe they get on a roll as Delgado and Reyes return, and later Beltran. Halladay jersey sales are through the roof. On the downside, we lose some top prospects.

what does Omar do? Coming off these past two seasons can the Mets afford to close up shop on July 31st while Halladay waltzes to Philly?

Edited by '7'

Take it easy, it's one game. You'll nail us the next game.

nah.. the team is missing so many players and there is nothing to do about it but hope you get everyone back healthy so they are ready to go for 2010 and hope this losing season results in a nice (top 15) draft pick for next year. trust me, the mets are going nowhere this year unless there is some crazy miracle (dont bet on it), anyone who doesn't that is blind..

it would be a different story if the mets had all of their players and lost this "one game".

I'm trying to think about what Omar might do at the deadline. He's already stated they are going to be buyers. Comical...but he can't just publicly throw in the towel while the team is still "competing" on the field.

But let's be optimistic, suppose July 31st rolls around and the Mets pick up their play a bit (they're due...right?) and are 5.5 out of the WC. Now if you do the right thing and sell or stay put, then Citi Field becomes a morgue for the final 2 long months of the season. The Mets are laughingstocks, Halladay is a Philly or Yankee and both those teams make the playoffs. We keep talking about Bernazard, the medical staff, and whatever other bizarre events that should happen to us. Tickets are overpriced as it is so attendance plummets to the 6-7,000 range. The Mets cease to exist.

Or we can go out and get Halladay and another bat, Aubrey Huff for example. We show the fans that while the WC is a long shot, we're going down fighting. We have arguably the top 2 pitchers in baseball for at least this year and next. Maybe they get on a roll as Delgado and Reyes return, and later Beltran. On the downside, we lose some top prospects.

what does Omar do?

Some?!! Huff + Halladay absolutely kills the entire farm and I rather not do that. Huff is a free agent to be, and Halladay is only under contract for 2010.. not worth giving up all of your prospects for. Again, this might be a different story if the Mets were contenders (but even then I think it would be foolish to dump so many prospects on 2 guys who wont be in Mets uniforms in 2011)... 5.5 out of the WC doesn't make a difference to me; I mean you just have to wait until everyone gets back healthy and hope you make a run.

I don't understand Minaya's talk of being buyers; I really have no idea what he is going to do.. sitting on your hands or being minor sellers would be better than buying. LAST YEAR is when Omar should have done some buying (even for just a much needed reliever!).

So far hes come out and said the right things about not mortgaging the future for a short-term fix (ie: Huff, Johnson, Halladay).. lets hope he sticks to those words.. I can't really see the Mets making a deal for a superstar like Adrian Gonzalez or Victor Martinez but I wouldn't totally rule it out, especially if Halladay goes to Philly in another day or 2. But definitely dont bet on that, its extremely unlikely.

Edited by nmigliore

I'm just sick of guys slipping through our fingers. It happened with Manny twice. Last year at the deadline and this offseason. We make the playoffs last year with Ramirez. This year it's Ibanez and Dunn and just about a million capable arms we could've had instead of Ollie.

Huff might not cost all that much since he is a FA at the end of the season. Maybe we can also get somebody like Arroyo or Erik Bedard. That wouldn't require a gutting of the minor leagues.

If Halladay ends up with the Phillies it's a complete disaster.

He is the best pitcher in baseball and with us would be going to the best pitchers park in baseball. How often do you have the opportunity to line up Johan and Halladay as your 1-2? It's always next year, next year...let's just load up for the rest of 09. Stay loaded for 2010. Because if the Phillies get him then we might as well forfeit next year as well.

Edited by '7'

I'm just sick of guys slipping through our fingers. It happened with Manny twice. Last year at the deadline and this offseason. We make the playoffs last year with Ramirez.

big difference though - last year the mets were contenders at the deadline, this year they aren't.. and in the offseason they are 'expected' contenders. and i still cant fathom 1 hitter and 1 pitcher making a big enough difference to get this team to the post-season THIS year.

Huff might not cost all that much since he is a FA at the end of the season. Maybe we can also get somebody like Arroyo or Erik Bedard. That wouldn't require a gutting of the minor leagues.

Huff and Bedard are free agents at the end of the year... I would cry if the Mets picked either of them up simply because they are rentals.. you only pick up rental players if you are sure contenders (ie: the Cardinals are leading the NL Central and picked up rental player Matt Holliday).. the Mets are far from sure contenders.. its wayyyy too risky to pick up rentals with the position the Mets are in this year.

edit: Arroyo can be had, and probably on the cheap because of his contract.. but I rather pass on him; hes owed $11M for 2010 and has a $2M buyout for 2011.

If Halladay ends up with the Phillies it's a complete disaster.

He is gonna end up there I think... all the rumors out there say they are very close to making a deal.. and the Phillies seem to be the only team making a big enough push.. I mean really, everytime I hear and read Halladay rumors its in connection with Philly.

He is the best pitcher in baseball and with us would be going to the best pitchers park in baseball. How often do you have the opportunity to line up Johan and Halladay as your 1-2? It's always next year, next year...let's just load up for the rest of 09. Stay loaded for 2010. Because if the Phillies get him then we might as well forfeit next year as well.

Like I said, picking up Halladay is making 2010 boom or bust, and thats too risky for me; especially when you have to fill other holes on the team (ie: SP, 1B, OF, C) and you are giving up your top prospects.. also, Halladay has a NTC and could veto the trade since the Mets are non-contenders this year.. and he has this clause in his contract where he could demand a trade after the season, and if hes not traded by a certain date, he has to be released and he becomes a free agent.

Plus, the Mets could fill their #2 starting rotation void with signing someone like Bedard or Lackey in the offseason, and that will just cost the team a draft pick instead of a bunch of top prospects... and the team looks destined to finish with a top 15 pick, and therefore we DONT give up that pick (again, picks 1-15 are protected from free agency compensation) and instead we give up the pick after that...

Edited by nmigliore