269 replies to this topic

#141 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,838 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

Not trying to be a sore winner, just an honest question: Didn't the league put in a rule against fights in the final minutes of a game in which one team was well ahead of the other? IIRC, it all came around because the Flyers gooned it up against the Senators many moons ago. Anyway, do tonight's fights in the final minutes fall under this rule?

That's what I was thinking. IIRC, both players are automatically suspended for their team's next game, no?

I could be totally wrong but I thought that's what was established.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#142 third man in

third man in

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

PP is rusty and some mental mistakes were had...but it's the 2nd game of the season and we won, so I'm perfectly fine with it.

Love seeing the Flyers get frustrated like that.

#143 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

Am I the only one that feels like we really got outplayed at points but Marty standing tall and the Flyers catching a bunch of bad breaks has helped us.

Yeah, despite the score I thought they were really outplayed in the 1st. Final two periods were much better.

We've gotten away with it so far but I still think the biggest weakness is that 3rd line with Carter/Gionta/Bernier. They had 1 shot between them despite logging 11+ minutes each. They really seemed to get outplayed a lot tonight.

Tedenby was also a no-show; no shots, only 7 minutes of ice time, and a silly penalty.

Edited by nmigliore, 22 January 2013 - 10:20 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#144 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

Parise just fvcked up and Nashville scored because of it LOL

probably the winning goal too

Edited by SterioDesign, 22 January 2013 - 10:23 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#145 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

That's what I was thinking. IIRC, both players are automatically suspended for their team's next game, no?

I could be totally wrong but I thought that's what was established.

I think the coaches get hit with a fine too.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#146 devils102

devils102

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

Not trying to be a sore winner, just an honest question: Didn't the league put in a rule against fights in the final minutes of a game in which one team was well ahead of the other? IIRC, it all came around because the Flyers gooned it up against the Senators many moons ago. Anyway, do tonight's fights in the final minutes fall under this rule?

I believe if there is an instigator penalty in the last five minutes now there are suspensions and fines to the coach.
Posted Image

#147 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,301 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

Hard to really complain about tonight. Marty shutout, Kovy penalty shot, we're 2-0, Philly and Rags 0-2...WHAT A DAY

Ahem... Philly is 0-3.
Posted Image

#148 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

We are lucky the score after 1 was 2-0. Overall, a win is a win.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Chocolate + Devil = My life

#149 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

I believe if there is an instigator penalty in the last five minutes now there are suspensions and fines to the coach.

You're right, just looked it up. Rule 46.12 and 46.22. Without someone getting assessed an instigator, the discussion is moot.

Never mind, carry on.
Posted Image
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#150 Steadevils

Steadevils

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

Matteau could stay up all year, but I feel his development and our business will be better off sending him down to Juniors for the year. Seems like Darche will be signed to fill his spot and role. Either way I love his game and am excited to maybe not have Matteau be my least favorite name on earth after a few good seasons from him. Nickname the Devils Spawn or Spawn of the Devil?
"I realized from Day 1 the way I played I'd never be a Gretzky or a Lemieux, well, a Mario I mean. I was never going to be a player to get standing ovations in a visitors' building."

-- Claude Lemieux - May 7, 1999

#151 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,981 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

That was fvcking great. Feels like we picked up right where we left off with those a$$holes.

Hard to really complain about tonight. Marty shutout, Kovy penalty shot, we're 2-0, Philly and Rags 0-2...WHAT A DAY

The Phailures are 0-3 actually.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#152 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

Nice win. Devils played horribly in the first but bounced back in the final 2 periods. Some luck on the Clarkson goal and the penalty shot didn't seem entirely deserved but wow has Kovalchuk become money on those plays.

Love Josefson getting 17 minutes. Tedenby got stapled to the bench after his terrible point coverage + penalty - that seemed inevitable. It was fun when he wasn't in the doghouse though. Matteau - 3 shots again, makes some nice reads in the offensive zone, but in the defensive zone he needs work. It's going to be a tough decision but I think he will be sent back. Still, unless he regresses, won't be that hard to pencil him in on next year's team.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#153 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

Anyone remember when Engblom (I think) talked about how good the Devils were during the playoffs shutting things down after getting big leads? Like giving up 3 goal leads to Florida and the Rangers and a few two goal leads. Are they that bad with all teams, or is this unique to the Devils?

Even when the press is trying to compliment us, they still get it wrong.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#154 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

I'm kinda impressed with this team so far. These two games haven't been pretty but especially tonight, they went up against a desperate flyers team, didnt play their best and still won 3-0. If they can add another forward and get henrique back healthy I think we could be a pretty good team.

#155 rtr1105

rtr1105

Draft Pick

• Pond Hockey
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

Good win. Always good to get off to a nice start, especially in a shortened season. We got outplayed for the most part, but we were able to capitalize on our opportunities. Hell, we played better D on the PK then we did at full strength. I'm loving the top line of Zubrus-Zajac-Kovy. Zubrus good on the forecheck, and Kovy has been pretty good so far. Zajac a good finesse player from the slot. I'm liking Matteau, although I saw him slipping around a bit and getting overmatched on the forecheck. Salvador was by far our best D-man out there and Marty once again proved that he is an ageless wonder out there.

#156 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,096 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

Anyone remember when Engblom (I think) talked about how good the Devils were during the playoffs shutting things down after getting big leads? Like giving up 3 goal leads to Florida and the Rangers and a few two goal leads. Are they that bad with all teams, or is this unique to the Devils?

Even when the press is trying to compliment us, they still get it wrong.

Posted Image

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#157 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

"No time for panic but you have to tie the screws"

- Ilya Bryzgalov 1/22/2013

#158 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

No Parise? No Par-oblem!

Was that your sign because you were literally right next to me exiting the arena.

n2eg.jpg

#159 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

I Love matteau too... And Zubie we need to resign that guy ! and what happen with clarkson a wraparound goal????? that was unexpected.... Kovalchuk beauty, Marty too good for the league, Giroux sucks and complain, andy greene playing a good game...

we need to work on our powerplay... but we beat those flyers and i just love it....

Bs thing by simmonds... Do you have to be completely stupid because you play for the flyers?????

#160 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:53 PM

Back from the Rock... nice crowd... essentially a sell-out and loud!

Marty was just in complete control.. he was demoralizing

So pleasant to see those Phailures decompose.

We playing with 6 or 7 forwards.. Matteau and Tedenby not ready

Zdlicky needs to get back his timing... Volchenkov and Tallinder had some excellent adventures

I predicted Clarkson at 13 goals this year...if his luck keeps up he'll be at that by game 13

Gionta is just such a sound player.. getting quality minutes,,, lol

It doesn't matter how you win them, 2 point is 2 points...especially after such a layoff
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users