Larsson

Daniel

Not every top pick fulfills potential. There are plenty of examples. Benoit Pouliot is on his 5th team. Of course, that's a forward who shows flashes and then is MIA. Defensemen are harder. It's so rare that you get one who comes in right away and makes an impact. The Prongers are few and far between. It took a while for Chara to develop needing a change of scenery. Now, he's one of the best to ever play the position.

Sometimes, a player comes in and impresses as a teenager. But takes a step back. Del Zotto is a clear example of this. Had a strong start as a 19-year old. Looked like the kind of offensive D they hadn't had since Leetch. But defensive deficiencies and a low IQ have held him back. He put up a good '11-12 under Tort. But again went backwards and remains a question mark.

Erik Johnson was supposed to be a stud. Instead, St. Louis traded him to the Avs for a package that included Shatternkirk, Stewart and a pick that became Ty Rattie. Johnson isn't bad by any stretch. He logs big minutes for Colorado and scored a nice goal last night. Just not that franchise type. In the same draft ('06), the next 4 picks were J. Staal, Toews, Backstrom and Kessel. Stewart was also taken the same round. Little, Giroux and Berglund also went. Boston got Lucic No.50.

It's more about draft and development. If they aren't managed properly, they can regress. The Rangers waited two years for Marc Staal. Conversely, they're still waiting on McIlrath who's in his second pro year. Meanwhile, Cam Fowler is already in his fourth season. But hasn't taken the next step. Ryan Ellis finally is playing for Nashville. Seth Jones already plays with Weber and has a cannon. Jacob Trouba gets big minutes for Winnipeg. Part of it is talent. If the player possesses the skill, then put them in position to succeed. With Larsson, he's still not there. His first year was acceptable. Second year was similar to Del Zotto. It's much easier to dominate at a lower level. He makes mistakes and is beaten. I almost get the sense the Devils are forced to keep him up due to the roster. If DeBoer is afraid to play him, it benefits no one. The problem is Lamoriello did a poor job. Losing Urbom was inexcusable. There's never enough depth at D.

larsson has been better since his scratch a few games ago. fayne should be back, but not for larsson. harrold hasn't been awful but he has not been good enough to be the reason fayne doesn't play.

and as for anton, the fact that he's LH and the #1PK defenseman is keeping him in the lineup more than the "veteran" tag.

Wasn't Larsson drafted as LD? Play him there, scratch Lolchenkov and play Fayne until his skates fall off.

Talking about Larsson, I re-iterate, its PDB ... this quote from TG proves it: “We’re going with the 20 best guys to win a hockey game. It’s as simple as that. I’m not going to get into any deeper on our personnel decisions, but that’s the bottom line. At the end of the day, if you’re sitting in our coaching room, the reason we’re putting these 20 guys on the ice tonight and the 20 on Tuesday in Columbus will be because those 20 give us the best chance to win the game tonight.”

Volchenkov has been horrible yet he plays over Larsson. This shows everything that is wrong with this coach right now. Fayne is in the lineup tonight, but should be every night. Sheesh.

Edited by Anhkheg

Talking about Larsson, I re-iterate, its PDB ... this quote from TG proves it: “We’re going with the 20 best guys to win a hockey game. It’s as simple as that. I’m not going to get into any deeper on our personnel decisions, but that’s the bottom line. At the end of the day, if you’re sitting in our coaching room, the reason we’re putting these 20 guys on the ice tonight and the 20 on Tuesday in Columbus will be because those 20 give us the best chance to win the game tonight.”

Volchenkov has been horrible yet he plays over Larsson. This shows everything that is wrong with this coach right now. Fayne is in the lineup tonight, but should be every night. Sheesh.

Ah, the old 'we're pro hockey coaches and we know more than you' insinuation. Go fvck yourself Pete. I may not have played in the NHL, but I played the sport for a long time, and I coached it too. I'm not stupid, and I'm not blind. These are NOT the best 20 guys and I don't give a flying fvck what you say.

“I guess that’s how it is right now,” Larsson said. “We’re pretty desperate to take points and we’re losing a couple of guys. We have to change something. I’m not going to be too low right now. I think it’s too early in the season to start thinking. That was pretty much what was killing me last year. When I was sitting out, I started thinking too much. Not cause I want to sit out, but it feels like I’m better prepared for it now because of last year. So, I’m just going to continue working hard and when I get a chance again, I’m going to try to take it. “But if feels like I’ve done what they said before I was sitting out last time, so it’s very disappointing. I don’t feel like I’ve played bad these three games at all. But I guess they want more.”

From TG's blog. I honestly feel bad for this kid. He's struggled at times, but he really doesn't deserve this. All so Pete's Pet's (that's what I'm going to start calling them) Harrold and Volchenkov can play and make mistakes with impunity. It's an atrocity.

Also I love how you can't edit posts with Tapatalk now, that's fantastic.

If they're the 'best 20 guys' then why do they keep rotating Fayne and Larsson every frigging game without any real rhyme or reason :P

“I guess that’s how it is right now,” Larsson said. “We’re pretty desperate to take points and we’re losing a couple of guys. We have to change something. I’m not going to be too low right now. I think it’s too early in the season to start thinking. That was pretty much what was killing me last year. When I was sitting out, I started thinking too much. Not cause I want to sit out, but it feels like I’m better prepared for it now because of last year. So, I’m just going to continue working hard and when I get a chance again, I’m going to try to take it. “But if feels like I’ve done what they said before I was sitting out last time, so it’s very disappointing. I don’t feel like I’ve played bad these three games at all. But I guess they want more.”

From TG's blog. I honestly feel bad for this kid. He's struggled at times, but he really doesn't deserve this. All so Pete's Pet's (that's what I'm going to start calling them) Harrold and Volchenkov can play and make mistakes with impunity. It's an atrocity.

Also I love how you can't edit posts with Tapatalk now, that's fantastic.

I like Harrold and Gionta...but Pete's given us so much of them - particularly Harrold that I'm sick of seeing them.  At least you could make the argument Gionta's better than Josefson - but you can't make the argument Harrold's better than Fayne and Larsson.

If they're the 'best 20 guys' then why do they keep rotating Fayne and Larsson every frigging game without any real rhyme or reason :P

I like Harrold and Gionta...but Pete's given us so much of them - particularly Harrold that I'm sick of seeing them. At least you could make the argument Gionta's better than Josefson - but you can't make the argument Harrold's better than Fayne and Larsson.

Pete said he didn't want to expound on the reasons for his personnel decisions. In other words, he knows these are hard moves to explain to people and isn't going to say what we all know is the truth: DeBoer plays vets and sh!ts on kids because they're kids. And he knows that reason won't fly, so he takes the easy way out and says he 'doesn't want to go into it'. Maybe one of the guys who keep getting unfairly scratched would 'want to go into it'. Fire this a$$hole already.

OH please stop with the "he's ruining the kid nonsense"  Larrson is aspiring to be Fayne right now, not a healthy pronger or Chara.  this team isnt where they are because larsson sits every once and a while.  the kid needs a kick in the butt.  volch is a different story, maybe pete thinks we need a physical presence no matter how bad the skating gets.  and like it or not harrold is one of the best skating D men we have, and has a good handle with the puck......if he could learn to pass it'd be nice!

OH please stop with the "he's ruining the kid nonsense"  Larrson is aspiring to be Fayne right now, not a healthy pronger or Chara.  this team isnt where they are because larsson sits every once and a while.  the kid needs a kick in the butt.  volch is a different story, maybe pete thinks we need a physical presence no matter how bad the skating gets.  and like it or not harrold is one of the best skating D men we have, and has a good handle with the puck......if he could learn to pass it'd be nice!

I like Harrold's ability to actually skate, however, the guy is a turnover machine at times and makes some really foolish decisions at times.

Pete said he didn't want to expound on the reasons for his personnel decisions. In other words, he knows these are hard moves to explain to people and isn't going to say what we all know is the truth: DeBoer plays vets and sh!ts on kids because they're kids. And he knows that reason won't fly, so he takes the easy way out and says he 'doesn't want to go into it'. Maybe one of the guys who keep getting unfairly scratched would 'want to go into it'. Fire this a$$hole already.

I really can't wait to hear Fayne's first interview next year when he leaves for wherever as a FA.  I'm shocked he hasn't gone off yet to be honest, but at least he can bide his time till free agency.  Little harder for Larsson to do at the moment.

How do we know Larsson's celing is Fayne instead of say, Pietrangelo or McDonaugh?  Larsson's actually played decently the last couple of games and his worst plays of the season came when he got burned by Kane and Grabner - two of the fastest guys in the NHL.  Scratching Larsson after those gaffes is one thing, scratching him when he actually plays well makes zero sense.

I really can't wait to hear Fayne's first interview next year when he leaves for wherever as a FA.  I'm shocked he hasn't gone off yet to be honest, but at least he can bide his time till free agency.  Little harder for Larsson to do at the moment.

How do we know Larsson's celing is Fayne instead of say, Pietrangelo or McDonaugh?  Larsson's actually played decently the last couple of games and his worst plays of the season came when he got burned by Kane and Grabner - two of the fastest guys in the NHL.  Scratching Larsson after those gaffes is one thing, scratching him when he actually plays well makes zero sense.

I would not be surprised to see Fayne in a top 4 position on another team. It's INSANE that he is not playing in each and every game when you could put him in for Volch or Harrold.

I dunno if DeBoer's gone full Randy Carlyle this season, but this is getting embarrassing. I miss Lou firing coaches at the first sign of trouble :(

it must be the money thing with Lou now

he wont fire coaches (and keep paying them)

and wont buy out or demote guys like Volch (and keep paying them)

I really can't wait to hear Fayne's first interview next year when he leaves for wherever as a FA. I'm shocked he hasn't gone off yet to be honest, but at least he can bide his time till free agency. Little harder for Larsson to do at the moment.

How do we know Larsson's celing is Fayne instead of say, Pietrangelo or McDonaugh? Larsson's actually played decently the last couple of games and his worst plays of the season came when he got burned by Kane and Grabner - two of the fastest guys in the NHL. Scratching Larsson after those gaffes is one thing, scratching him when he actually plays well makes zero sense.

It'll probably sound like Tallinder's, except I would expect Fayne to be more angry than Tallinder was.

After reading TG article , i love his attitude. He tells the truth... Angry but not losing confidence. The things that bothers me is the coaching staff not telling him why he ios  not playing tonight (they have no valuable reason i would say) LEt play Larsson sit out veteran like volchenkov or salvador who cost us game (calgary lost is all on salvador bad covering)

Who knows... But even if they lose tonight, I don't expect DeBoer to be fired. What I do expect is that we'll be here in a couple of days complaining about how Fayne's scratched again for the Columbus game and Pete's Pets are still the third pairing.

Really... if lou want to fire a coach he wil... it not like the coach salary make a big difference...

Lou strating t wait firing coach since claude julien

Really... if lou want to fire a coach he wil... it not like the coach salary make a big difference...

Lou strating t wait firing coach since claude julien

yeah the money matters...this team isnt really making money these days and Deboer probably makes a million plus.

We also have past players salaries etc on the books like Trent Hunter/Eric Boulton/Hedberg/Kovalchuks 250,000 per year early retirement B.S.

Edited by hargsy

I like Harrold's ability to actually skate, however, the guy is a turnover machine at times and makes some really foolish decisions at times.

yeah but we can't really bash Harrold can we? look at his salary, thats expected and we should be fine with what he brings, he if wouldnt make mistakes we'd have to pay him 5m . Volchenkov and Salvador on the other hand...

yeah the money matters...this team isnt really making money these days and Deboer probably makes a million plus.

We also have past players salaries etc on the books like Trent Hunter/Eric Boulton/Hedberg/Kovalchuks 250,000 per year early retirement B.S.

If you change coach and win game is better financially than keeping the same coach and lost 20 in a row and doesnt have anbody in the building

well thats the direction we're headed in

I think Lou is holding on as long as he can with this group.......and it could be a real trainwreck

its a though call on DeBoer, cause well in a way a coach can only do with that the GM is giving him, which he saw his roster lose some big tools in the last few years.

in the other hands lately DeBoer is trying to use screwdrivers to hammer down nails and he's leaving his hammer in the car.