Stupid ass conference realignment

roomtemp

The Blue Jackets or the Red Wings shouldn't be in our conference especially with there be 16 in the east while 14 in the West. All because the Red Wings were cry baby bitches claiming they were promised to be move to the east in the next realignment. fvck you Detroit.

well doesn't mean we make it if they're NOT there (they weren't last year and we missed too)

but yea it doesn't help. I don't want Detroit in our conference. Still, they didn't cause us to lose 11 straight shootouts or give up points by choking and collapsing late in games to Florida, handing points to Buffalo and the Isles 

well doesn't mean we make it if they're NOT there (they weren't last year and we missed too)

but yea it doesn't help. I don't want Detroit in our conference. Still, they didn't cause us to lose 11 straight shootouts or give up points by choking and collapsing late in games to Florida, handing points to Buffalo and the Isles 

I know its not a predetermined outcome butterfly effect if one team isn't in the conference but still I've been against this realignment because I thought something like this was going to happen and it did in the first year. Add that to the shootout woes, the inability to score for Cory, the over play of Brodeur and his bitching about idk what amongst other things and it makes me want to break something

Either way I don't need more games against the western teams I don't give a crap about which thank God we have now in this playoff system

Edited by roomtemp

The realignment may suck from a Devils standpoint but I understand why the league did it because of the travel and TV issues that affected a lot of the Western teams, especially DET and CBJ. I kind of view this whole thing as "makeshift" since I expect Seattle to come into the league soon and they'll figure out a way to get a 16/16 split when they add team 32. Overall the whole thing doesn't really bother me.

the re-alignment and ruining of the playoff scenarios has KILLED the last week of the season and now aside of Phoenix and Dallas there's NO race to be excited about....and THAT truly sucks.....I much like having MUST SEE games to end the regular season.....least they got Dallas and Phoenix right......

the re-alignment and ruining of the playoff scenarios has KILLED the last week of the season and now aside of Phoenix and Dallas there's NO race to be excited about....and THAT truly sucks.....I much like having MUST SEE games to end the regular season.....least they got Dallas and Phoenix right......

I agree with this, it seems like previous seasons had more races for spots.

:shrugs: maybe it's time to stop pointing the finger at the leagues "stupid" reassignment and "stupid" shootout and "stupid" system and realize that a team that loses to the Islanders, Sabres, and Flames in the final month of the season in do-or-die games does not deserve to compete for the Stanley Cup?

Well you can blame that on the realignment mostly since the top eight are still making it from each conference.  Without realignment you'd have a great race between four cripples for the last two spots in the East and a ridiculous race out West with Detroit, Columbus, Dallas and Phoenix where three miss the playoffs.  I'm sure people would be complaining about that too, three teams out West that miss the playoffs being better than two that make it in the East.

It's one season. There wasn't any last-day playoff races in 2011-12 either.

true, but the new schedule and reducing down to four divisions in theory means less tight races, it gives the better teams more of an opportunity to separate themselves. No longer will Washington and Vancouver grow fat on easy schedules, lock up a top 3 spot and push all the other teams down and into a race

in some ways that's good, because the best teams have a better shot of making the playoffs, but that will probably come at the expense of quality late season races.

Edit-

Also there's little sense in doing hypotheticals because the results wouldn't be the same if the schedule was changed. If Detroit and Columbus were in the west and had to play st Louis Chicago and Colorado more they wouldn't have he same record.

Edited by dmann422

Realignment also took away from the playoff races by removing those epic divisional battles we'd normally be seeing this time of year. Instead, we have the rags in Calgary and Phoenix playing in nj. Inter-conference games are far less intense with both teams usually content for a point.

This alignment had to be done.  I don't think many East Coasters understood the problem the old alignment was.  We had the luxury to play in the most travel friendly division.  Bottom line is, there are 16 teams that play in the Eastern Timezone.  That's why there are 16 teams in the Eastern Conference.

This alignment had to be done.  I don't think many East Coasters understood the problem the old alignment was.  We had the luxury to play in the most travel friendly division.  Bottom line is, there are 16 teams that play in the Eastern Timezone.  That's why there are 16 teams in the Eastern Conference.

Still think the Red Wings could have sucked it up until another at least another team comes into the West. Anyway I was frustrated last night and in a foul mood independently of the Devils being eliminated so this came out. I still hate the playoff format with top 3 and wild card seedings making the 1st round matchups weird and the 2nd round ones even stupider in case of upset.

To be fair if we still had the same alignment we would be in the playoffs as it stands:

1)Bruins 114

2)Pens 107

3)Lightning 95

4)Habs 98

5)Rags 93

6)Flyers 91

7)Caps 85

8)Devils 84

9)Leafs 84

More salt in the wound. What did we ever do to the hockey gods?

Still think the Red Wings could have sucked it up until another at least another team comes into the West. Anyway I was frustrated last night and in a foul mood independently of the Devils being eliminated so this came out. I still hate the playoff format with top 3 and wild card seedings making the 1st round matchups weird and the 2nd round ones even stupider in case of upset.

And a Red Wings fan who lives in the same timezone as us and has had to deal with all those 10 o'clock starts throughout the season for the last however many years would say the same thing to us. I dont really like the wildcard format yet, but I'm taking a wait and see attitude to see how the playoffs pan out.

We need to suck it up. If we made the playoffs this wouldnt even be a discussion today.

To be fair if we still had the same alignment we would be in the playoffs as it stands:

1)Bruins 114

2)Pens 107

3)Lightning 95

4)Habs 98

5)Rags 93

6)Flyers 91

7)Caps 85

8)Devils 84

9)Leafs 84

And we would have gotten our a$$es handed to us by Boston or whoever else we faced.....Devils sucked this year,case closed.

in the current system the Red Wings would have played have their schedule against Chi, St Louis, Nashville and Minnesota....breaks my heart to see such a "cumbersome" travel schedule...as an east team they go to the West Coast just as much as they would have staying in the Central and not pissed away the league's best rivalry, Columbus needed to move for geographic rival reasons...how come no one in Nashville is upset about the travel? (and aren't they closer to Fla and Washington anyway??) ...oh yeah, they're not the Red Wings....my bad

they very easily could have had 15 teams in each conference too, it's VERY rare the entire league plays on the same day so it's not that big of a scheduling deal

I really, really REALLY hate this logic, which is why I also hate this re-alignment.   Geographically speaking, Detroit (and Columbus) may be in the Eastern part of the country if you were to draw a line right down the center, but the simple fact of the matter is, MOST teams (and this isn't just geared towards the NHL, but all 4 of the major North American sports) happened to be more Easterly-located.  There are more metropolitan areas on the East Coast than the West, and, when you divide up the NHL's 30 clubs in terms of the 16 most Easterly-located and the 16 most Westerly-located, Detroit and Columbus deserved to be in the West.  When Atlanta was still in the league, there were exactly 15 teams located further East than Detroit and Columbus.  When they moved to Winnipeg that created the imbalance, but nowhere near justifying this chaos if you ask me.

It is absolutely the dumbest thing I have ever seen to unbalance a previously well-balanced league and take 30 teams and divide it into 16 and 14.   On top of that, we have to live with this stupidity for 2 more seasons at the very least.  Some people may see the league expanding to 32 teams and Seattle being a good market, which may be true, but there's no reason to expand right now beyond 30 teams when you still have clubs like Florida, Phoenix and Carolina struggling to fill seats.

I still think my idea for a scheduling format like this is the way to go:

2 Conferences. 3 divisions in each. 5 teams in each division.

- You have 4 division opponents, so you play each of them 8 times. 4 home and 4 away. That's 32 games. *This part of the schedule focuses on building/maintaining rivalries within the division (i.e. NYR vs NYI, PHI vs PIT, PHO vs SJ, etc), which should appease the hockey "loyalists" and "purists" (of which I could partly be classified as one).

- You have 10 non-division conference opponents, so you play each of them 2 times. 1 home and 1 away. That's 20 games. *This part of the schedule focuses on ensuring that no team is left out from playing another, i.e. NJ vs FLA. Some may say it is not enough to play these teams only twice, but I think it stands reasonable that NJ vs FLA in the preceding example is not exactly a long standing traditional rivalry and frankly, I would be perfectly fine seeing the other inter-conference opponents only twice a year (again, 1 at home and 1 away I think gives fans of all teams a chance to see whatever team they might want to watch)

- Lastly, you have 15 non-conference opponents, so you play each of them 2 times as well. Again, 1 at home and 1 away. That's 30 games. Following the same premise as before, this is fair to the teams and to the fans in my opinion because it ensures each team sees every other team in the league, yet draws emphasis on rivalries that people most likely want to see.