This off seasons UFA's and realistic possible trades

2ELIAS6

Yep. Because free agents don't have a say over where they go. The only reason every top free agent didn't come to Jersey is because Lou didnt think of signing them. The Devils operate solely in a vacuum.

I'm talking about the fact that someone always brings up the Kovy signing whenever we talk about big UFA signings. That was going on 5 years ago.

Well, this answers my question- so it doesn't necessarily have to be today: Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice:

For those asking, teams can still buy out players by placing them on unconditional waivers tomorrow. Buyout period ends at 5 p.m. tomorrow.

Jagr I'll give you, but I don't know about Ryder and Clowe being the bigger free agents out there. He overpaid for Clowe and Ryder is only good if he plays with a capable center.

But they were amongst the top available forwards in free agency, which is what everyone wants Lou going after. 

Gotta love when people are being trashed for not being satisfied with the downward trend of the team since the lockout. Hanging one's hat on 3 Cups is fine, however, when those Cups came in a completely different era of style of hockey, then using the lone run to the Finals as reasons for said trashing of other fans is an issue.

Look, people want to praise Lou for what he did in the past for this franchise, which is fine. But please stop a) bashing fans who are expecting more from a team that has not been adapting to the new NHL and b) are completely fed up watching young assets walking out the door due to horrendous prioritization of personnel.

Gotta love when people are being trashed for not being satisfied with the downward trend of the team since the lockout. Hanging one's hat on 3 Cups is fine, however, when those Cups came in a completely different era of style of hockey, then using the lone run to the Finals as reasons for said trashing of other fans is an issue.

Look, people want to praise Lou for what he did in the past for this franchise, which is fine. But please stop a) bashing fans who are expecting more from a team that has not been adapting to the new NHL and b) are completely fed up watching young assets walking out the door due to horrendous prioritization of personnel.

No one is saying that Lou should be bowed down to anymore, but I think some people are going over the top. I'm waiting to see what happens here. If he indeed let's Fayne walk, signs the Giontas, and doesn't buy-out/trade/LTIR/ one or both of the two dipsh!ts like slash and CP have been predicting, then I will voice my ultimate displeasure. Edited by MadDog2020

No one is saying that Lou should be bowed down to anymore, but I think some people are going over the top. I'm waiting to see what happens here. If he indeed let's Fayne walk, signs the Giontas, and doesn't buy-out/trade/LTIR/ one or both of the two dipsh!ts like slash and CP have been predicting, then I will voice my ultimate displeasure.

Absolutely fair point. But there are others who are like, "Oh no! Lou is infallible! If you bash him, you're a moron!"

Whether it be here or twitter or even at the arena [when I used to be able to go], some people refuse to let go of the past in order to improve the future.

I, personally, have zero faith that either traffic cones will be moved. I also do not trust Lou will take care of business with Schneider. Lastly, I do not think our young defenders are being utilized effectively.

I just don't share the optimism that some do, or that I used to, when it comes to GM decisions.

Just my two cents.

Absolutely fair point. But there are others who are like, "Oh no! Lou is infallible! If you bash him, you're a moron!"

Whether it be here or twitter or even at the arena [when I used to be able to go], some people refuse to let go of the past in order to improve the future.

I, personally, have zero faith that either traffic cones will be moved. I also do not trust Lou will take care of business with Schneider. Lastly, I do not think our young defenders are being utilized effectively.

I just don't share the optimism that some do, or that I used to, when it comes to GM decisions.

Just my two cents.

I don't think many people call Lou infallible. He makes mistakes like every other GM. The problem is that a lot of people jump all over him for his mistakes or miscalculations and then try to diminish his good moves. He's clearly in the middle of rebuilding this team and it will be his last one. He'll be gone possibly as soon as next year and I think he's trying to set this team up for the next person to step in.

Of course I disagree with some of his moves or non-moves, but to think that he doesn't want good players or scoring is just wrong.

I mean everyone is all over him about how bad the Devils were this year and they were STILL better than 10 teams!

I guess we'll find out what happens within the next 48-72 hours then. The draft sucked but the real test is coming shortly. There has to be someone out there who can realistically make this team better than last year because the current squad ain't enough. Stastny might be too much and coming from COL to the NJD might be a downgrade.

No one is saying that Lou should be bowed down to anymore, but I think some people are going over the top. I'm waiting to see what happens here. If he indeed let's Fayne walk, signs the Giontas, and doesn't buy-out/trade/LTIR/ one or both of the two dipsh!ts like slash and CP have been predicting, then I will voice my ultimate displeasure.

I think he'll get a pretty sizable pass from many if he gets Schneider locked up.  But yeah, the above is going to be difficult to defend if it all happens.   

I don't think many people call Lou infallible. He makes mistakes like every other GM. The problem is that a lot of people jump all over him for his mistakes or miscalculations and then try to diminish his good moves. He's clearly in the middle of rebuilding this team and it will be his last one. He'll be gone possibly as soon as next year and I think he's trying to set this team up for the next person to step in.

Lou would throw you on the sidewalk for using that word.  There's no way you 'rebuild' with taking on a Tuomo Ruutu and hoarding all the vet contracts on D you do.  If anything people get on him because he's used too many short-term patch jobs and there's no real clear plan to address the aging and thin forward core.

i dont know why he'd get a pass for something he OBVIOUSLY HAVE to get done.

Because based on his past successes with those Cup teams, all he has to do now is the bare minimum and many Devils fans will rejoice and call him a genius. Sentimentality clouds a lot of people's judgement.

i dont know why he'd get a pass for something he OBVIOUSLY HAVE to get done.

Because it's something I think a lot of (the more negative) people are already assuming won't get done, especially the ones who are down on Lou and are now convinced he can't do anything right.  That's going to be a big load off everyone's shoulders if Schneider is taken care of. 

Not saying that this move by itself will be enough to call this 2014 offseason a success, but I think most would agree that it's the most important offseason move Lou needs to make. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Because based on his past successes with those Cup teams, all he has to do now is the bare minimum and many Devils fans will rejoice and call him a genius. Sentimentality clouds a lot of people's judgement.

thats pretty much dead on

Because it's something I think a lot of (the more negative) people are already assuming won't get done, especially the ones who are down on Lou and are now convinced he can't do anything right.  That's going to be a big load off everyone's shoulders if Schneider is taken care of. 

Not saying that this move by itself will be enough to call this 2014 offseason a success, but I think most would agree that it's the most important offseason move Lou needs to make. 

i dont think its unfair of them (us) to at least assume that he may not get it done before the season. Lou legitely played with fire and made stubbornn decisions A fvckING LOT lately and it burned him more than once. that people are willing to admit that is another thing.

Lou seems to be the kind of guy who would be recklessly driving full speed towards a cliff and you're sitting in the passenger seat freaking out screaming at him to stop and he's just super calm looking forward saying "when time is on your side, you use it" and you're literally sh!tting all over the car while the car is approaching the cliff and he suddenly stops and slide for awhile and stop inches from the cliff. Then he looks at you "don't worry about my car".

point is... yeah fine. He stopped and we're alive. But WHY THE fvck did he have to do that and make the car stop inches from the cliff. Could have stop and turned around way earlier. But for no reasons and waiting last secondes didnt bring anything extra to the situation either... other than stress.

Edited by SterioDesign

thats pretty much dead on

i dont think its unfair of them (us) to at least assume that he may not get it done before the season. Lou legitely played with fire and made stubbornn decisions A fvckING LOT lately and it burned him more than once. that people are willing to admit that is another thing.

Lou seems to be the kind of guy who would be recklessly driving full speed towards a cliff and you're sitting in the passenger seat freaking out screaming at him to stop and he's just super calm looking forward saying "when time is on your side, you use it" and you're literally sh!tting all over the car while the car is approaching the cliff and he suddenly stops and slide for awhile and stop inches from the cliff. Then he looks at you "don't worry about my car".

point is... yeah fine. He stopped and we're alive. But WHY THE fvck did he have to do that and make the car stop inches from the cliff. Could have stop and turned around way earlier. But for no reasons and waiting last secondes didnt bring anything extra to the situation either... other than stress.

Everyone knows how you feel about Lou these days.  Trying to debate it with you leads nowhere and gets us examples like the above (I guess the relationship/girl analogy well has run dry), so I'm not going to do it again.

I'm pretty much in the MD2020 camp.  I'm taking a wait-and-see approach this offseason.  That's it.  If Schneider isn't re-signed, both Gios are here, and Sal and Volch are still here, I'm going to be pissed.  I'm not going to rip Lou on a daily basis for it, but I'm definitely not trying to try to sugarcoat Lou's offseason if that's what we get.