Official 2010-2011 New York Knicks Thread

LOTCB

47 days until the REAL Knicks season begins. :)

I have another fear with the Knicks.

Let's say Lebron goes to Chicago or stays in Cleveland and Wade stays in Miami, and Bosh then goes to Miami, which IMO are very realistic possibilities

I hope the Knicks can show restraint because in 2011 Melo and Chris Paul will be available.

I hope they don't overspend on a Boozer and Joe Johnson.

Edited by LOTCB

I have another fear with the Knicks.

Let's say Lebron goes to Chicago or stays in Cleveland and Wade stays in Miami, and Bosh then goes to Miami, which IMO are very realistic possibilities

I hope the Knicks can show restraint because in 2011 Melo and Chris Paul will be available.

I hope they don't overspend on a Boozer and Joe Johnson.

+100

Joe Johnson's is like the new Crawford.

And I like Lee for the same price or less than we'd pay Boozer.

If we get stuck like that, I tend to hope that we can use this offseason to get a good supporting cast for Melo/Paul if they decide to jump ship and Lebron/Wade/Bosh/etal don't come to NYC.

But I think Wade is done with the Heat. If he stays there, it's for his family and nothing else. He will never win a title in Miami with the pieces surrounding him right now. I don't even think Bosh would put that team over the top.

• 9 months later...

Carmelo Anthony is now a New York Knick...not how I envisioned it, but sometimes bold moves are needed for other moves to happen.

Will this work? Time will tell...

Did they give up too much? Time will tell...

Will the Knicks win a title in the next 3-4 years? Time will tell..

The New York Knicks are relevant again. That much I do know!

Not a big basketball fan, but this is essentially the Knicks equivalent to the Devs landing Kovy. A top 5 or so player in the game....except the Devils got their man for way less...

I didn't think the Knicks would ship all of those players for Melo, but looks like they want the title ASAP! Should be interesting

Such a big "meh" to this trade. I feel like trading Gallinari was an absolutely HORRIBLE decision. The Knicks gave up 4 of their starting 5 for 2 starters and a bunch of role players. I honestly doubt this trade puts the Knicks over the top and get them the title because they just gave up one starter too much, especially when one of those starters was Gallo, who was only 22 and improving by leaps and bounds all the time.

Such a big "meh" to this trade. I feel like trading Gallinari was an absolutely HORRIBLE decision. The Knicks gave up 4 of their starting 5 for 2 starters and a bunch of role players. I honestly doubt this trade puts the Knicks over the top and get them the title because they just gave up one starter too much, especially when one of those starters was Gallo, who was only 22 and improving by leaps and bounds all the time.

I don't have a problem with it from a talent perspective. Melo or no Melo, the Knicks weren't winning a championship this year. So Chandler is irrelevant. Felron is a nice player but for his role Billups is a capable replacement. Gallinari has developed well but you have to give up something of real value. Mogzov may turn into something but he is still the definition of a project. Also, it is tough to say Mogzov is a starter.

I don't like it from the money angle. If the NBA gets a more restrictive salary cap you are committing a lot to two guys and without the draft picks to bring in cheaper talent it is hard to fill in.

The Knicks did not have great options, they could have let it play out and tried to sign Melo in the off season or saved the cap space until 2012. Neither gives a guarantee of anything. They took the guarantee of something and after what seems like decades, the Knicks are relevant and that has real value.

The CBA is a real unknown and hangs over all of this.