GDT: New Jersey Devils vs. Toronto Clarkarounds

RangersSuck23

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only negative in that game for me was zidlicky. I know it will never happen but if I was the coach he is quickly playing himself off of the pp. he's absolutely horrendous gaining the zone and he's the one they rely in to do that about 75% if the time.

I swear with him it's either an offside or bad dump in that's immediately cleared every time.

Also volchenkov has to clear the puck in that pk don't be chipping it trying to get a Steven gionta short handed chance just clear the damn puck.

Put simply, they cannot score.   This is the team that will put fenwick and corsi in their graves.

Well them and Toronto jointly - on both ends of the spectrum :P

Shootout ability is ridiculously transient.  Overtime ability is ridiculously transient.  These are things subject to enormous doses of chance.

The hideous shootouts are just emblematic of this team's lack of offensive firepower in total.  

No they shouldn't be 0-for-the season in the shootout but they really aren't that great at it anymore and running the same people out time after time isn't helping, especially Ryder.  He's like 6-37 career in the shootout yet they keep putting him out there.  They might as well put Jagr out even though he isn't much better in it at this point, maybe he can intimidate the other goalie into ****ing up.  

How is overtime up to chance?  Especially when the Devils would rather give Zubrus and other slowpokes shifts and leave their fastest skater (Tedenby) on the bench.  I'm probably his biggest skeptic here but if you're not going to let Tedenby skate when it's 4-on-4 and you're not 'losing' anything (especially when the shootout's basically a guaranteed non-point) then what's the point of having him in the lineup at all?

Because the idea of the shootout as a non-point is absurd, and Tedenby can't cover his man 4 on 4.  Though Zubrus was awful in OT, can't deny that

Overtime has skill involved, but do you honestly think there are teams who are a 75% favorite over another in OT?  Of course not.  

You mean from the thought process of dropping points now is going to kill us later?

Happy to get somewhat of a point streak going. Baby steps guys. We will start getting results playing lockdown defense. Wanted to see more point shots with traffic in this one

What results are they going to get the next eight games with this offense?  We should have been shut out three of the last four games and now we've got this lovely schedule on the docket:

Nashville Sunday, at Rangers (who've done a complete turnaround) Tuesday, Kings Friday, Pens Saturday, at Anaheim on the 20th, at LA on the 21st, at San Jose on the 23rd and then even after the West Coast trip of doom they have to run home and play the Jets just two nights later, and the Jets have owned us with their speed the last two years even when we're not trip-lagged.  Tomorrow is ginormous, they have to win that or they could really be buried by Thanksgiving.  They might be buried even with a win against the Preds over the next seven.  The best case you can really see in that stretch is maybe one win and two more SO losses.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Love last night game... We got a point, but again we dont score goals...

Guys like zajac, loktionov, Brunner, Zubrus need to start scoring if we want to be a playoff team

what happened to this guy brunner he started off on fire and now hes the invisible man.. i hope he doesnt end up being as useless as he looks lately

What results are they going to get the next eight games with this offense? We should have been shut out three of the last four games and now we've got this lovely schedule on the docket:

Nashville Sunday, at Rangers (who've done a complete turnaround) Tuesday, Kings Friday, Pens Saturday, at Anaheim on the 20th, at LA on the 21st, at San Jose on the 23rd and then even after the West Coast trip of doom they have to run home and play the Jets just two nights later, and the Jets have owned us with their speed the last two years even when we're not trip-lagged. Tomorrow is ginormous, they have to win that or they could really be buried by Thanksgiving. They might be buried even with a win against the Preds over the next seven. The best case you can really see in that stretch is maybe one win and two more SO losses.

Jesus Has, lol you're really in full doomsday preparation. Just have to believe in how strong they've been playing defense lately that the goals will come. Offense comes from good defense and they are playing it right now. Plus let's see how they look with patty back before we write them off

what happened to this guy brunner he started off on fire and now hes the invisible man.. i hope he doesnt end up being as useless as he looks lately

Brunner is a streaky player.  We're gonna have to live with it.  I haven't seen many games where I didn't notice him.

No one has 'one or two guys that will consistently score'. Consistent scoring is a myth. That aside, the Devils aren't actually playing that great 5 on 5 so far this season (although tonight was pretty darn good).

Shootout ability is ridiculously transient. Overtime ability is ridiculously transient. These are things subject to enormous doses of chance.

They're going to get more goals. We know this. We know this because teams don't sustain this shooting percentage over a full season. Not expansion teams, not horrendous teams who might've been worse. So we know the scoring will improve. The trouble lately is that their best guys aren't getting enough shots - Ryder is a finisher and he's getting 1 shot a game. Henrique's shot rate is way down. You can go down the roster and mostly it's a lot of guys who just aren't getting enough pucks on net. If these guys can start to pick it up shots-wise, and the Devils can move from being a 52% outshooting team to 56-57% when Elias comes back, it can be a team that gets enough goals to win games, if they get the goaltending.

You had like 10 "if's" in there.

Put simply, they cannot score.   This is the team that will put fenwick and corsi in their graves.

They're starting this year where they left off last season.    No 5 on 5 scoring to speak off and no ability to win a game that lasts longer than 60 minutes.   In this format that isn't completely the end of the world, but still...   they have no go to guy, no finisher.   You look at the Leafs game and Kessel gets that one good chance and there's a goal.    You watch the Devils play and they control and can't score.   You can say that's bad luck and the numbers should even out, but the problem is they don't have those one or two guys that will consistently score.

That and they have a "doom switch" portion of the schedule coming up.   I am loathe to go out to California.   So games like this are frustrating when you have a game that plays out as a win on paper, but turns out to be a point.

The team that was 29th in goals for won the SC two seasons ago.

Michael Ryder is a natural finisher.  Brunner as well.

I predicted they'd lose to the Leafs.  The fact we got a point out of it is a bonus.  Not many people predicted a win last night.

You had like 10 "if's" in there.

Yea and so does every team in the league.

I've always said that motherfcuk van Riemsdyk needs to play here. Some guys I played with in high school knew him and played against him back in the day. I've never heard him even hint at it though.

JVR grew up a big Rangers fan, don't think coming to play for NJD would be home except for the whole living in NJ part. Great player though, I'd take him in a second.

Gelinas looked great. Even Teddy is looking good, not putting any in net but he's giving us tons of chances (he's even setting others up)

We matched Torontos intensity last night and that was the main thing I was worried about. It doesn't need to be said but boy is our shootout all. OUr skaters are 0-11 on shots this year lol

Edited by Onddeck

Jesus Has, lol you're really in full doomsday preparation. Just have to believe in how strong they've been playing defense lately that the goals will come. Offense comes from good defense and they are playing it right now. Plus let's see how they look with patty back before we write them off

They played great defensively last year and couldn't score.  Great defense only helps you score if you have any kind of a transition game/speed/skill up front, which we don't.

The haven't proven they're a good team, with or without Elias - they have four wins in sixteen games.  This schedule wasn't designed to be able to overcome a bad start.  I just get nuts when people say every time well we got a point, bfd...we have to start getting wins and soon.  That's not just bad luck/whatever in OT/SO, that's ending games before it gets to that point.

Edited by NJDevs4978

They played great defensively last year and couldn't score. Great defense only helps you score if you have any kind of a transition game/speed/skill up front, which we don't.

The haven't proven they're a good team, with or without Elias - they have four wins in sixteen games. This schedule wasn't designed to be able to overcome a bad start. I just get nuts when people say every time well we got a point, bfd...we have to start getting wins and soon. That's not just bad luck/whatever in OT/SO, that's ending games before it gets to that point.

Yes but keeping the score low at least gives them something to work with. The compete level was there last night. If they were getting their doors blown off in all three phases that would be one thing, but they were taking the play to them. I'm just inclined to believe that this team will turn it around, although I have little evidence to support how they've been playing differently lately

Just a much better "feel" to the game

Zajac is like an enigma on this team. He's been playing some of the best off puck hockey of his career this season, but in the offensive zone he can't buy a goal. I really hope luck starts changing for him before his confidence gets so low that he doesn't even play defense any more