2014-2015 Around the league thread

MadDog2020

worlds most renovated arena brah

Cost a billion dollaz brah

A billion dollars invested into that underwhelming monument to irrelevant sports history just makes it absolutely hilarious that they're going to be sent packing in less than a decade. 

A billion dollars invested into that underwhelming monument to irrelevant sports history just makes it absolutely hilarious that they're going to be sent packing in less than a decade. 

Yup... Part of me thinks it's never going to happen.

The other half of me thinks Manhattan will be so watered down and (even more) touristy and (even more) yuppified that the powers that be (in 2023) might actually elect to improving the train station and kicking them out. How many people in that building every night are from within City limits? 5%? 10%? Doubt it. The sell for a new arena somewhere at the tip of Nassau/Queens will be bigger than ever in 10 years time.

not quite following, care to elaborate?

The City of New York told James Dolan that they wouldn't be renewing The Garden's lease in 10 years. Or not exactly a "lease" but like a right to do business there. They want to improve Penn Station and it'd require Knicks and Rangers relocating. It's a 50/50 split whether it will actually happen or whether it's just posturing to get Dolan to pay taxes finally.

Edited by DJ Eco

not quite following, care to elaborate?

CIty wouldn't let them renew their lease beyond 10 years. 

Penn Station badly needs an upgrade, and there's really no way to keep MSG functioning if they do choose to go to work on the terminal. 

It seems like those 2 thoughts are connected 

Regardless of how I feel about either the team or the building, Penn needs the work done and I hope that takes priority over the world's most self-aggrandizing arena. 

edit: here's a link http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/25/nyregion/madison-square-garden-is-told-to-move.html?_r=0

Edited by jtx00

The other half of me thinks Manhattan will be so watered down and (even more) touristy and (even more) yuppified that the powers that be (in 2023) might actually elect to improving the train station and kicking them out. How many people in that building every night are from within City limits? 5%? 10%? Doubt it. The sell for a new arena somewhere at the tip of Nassau/Queens will be bigger than ever in 10 years time.

The City of New York told James Dolan that they wouldn't be renewing The Garden's lease in 10 years. Or not exactly a "lease" but like a right to do business there. They want to improve Penn Station and it'd require Knicks and Rangers relocating. It's a 50/50 split whether it will actually happen or whether it's just posturing to get Dolan to pay taxes finally.

thanks for explaining, I'm really hoping for this now just for the sake of giving rags fans one less thing to make them feel better than everyone else

The Hudson River Rail Tunnels are in dire need of construction -- between their age & damages from Sandy that still haven't been repaired -- and those head directly into Penn. I think it's reported that those tunnels are only serviceable for another decade or so, as well. So something is going to have to be done with train service into Penn at some point.  Whatever happens, it's going to be quite the clusterfvck

The Hudson River Rail Tunnels are in dire need of construction -- between their age & damages from Sandy that still haven't been repaired -- and those head directly into Penn. I think it's reported that those tunnels are only serviceable for another decade or so, as well. So something is going to have to be done with train service into Penn at some point.  Whatever happens, it's going to be quite the clusterfvck

And it doesn't even pass the eye test. One of the most substandard train stations I've seen in any major city, including some third world countries I've been to ("emerging economies"). Huge lines, overcrowding, stifling air quality, and what, like 9 foot ceilings?