Martin Brodeur still pondering trade from Devils this season

msweet

..it's stunning. He basically came out and publicly begged to play all week, with quotes like: "I just want to play, whether it's here or somewhere else, it doesn't matter anymore."  --  "I hope it's soon, so I don't have to dwell on the outdoor game"  --  "I won't go to Lou (to ask for a trade) unless it gets worse over the next three weeksThere was no better game to play him than the Preds. Back-to-back, Marty pitched a shutout against them earlier in the season, Schneider really didn't look too good the night before, etc. Yet despite it all, the organization seems to have taken a firm stance on this.

I guess we'll see how this all plays out either on March 3rd, or July 1st.. one way or another. I don't feel like retirement is going to happen here. Marty's out to prove something. He'll either resign with the Devils, or sign on with another team that'll promise him 25-30 games.

Kind of hard to make a case for a guy who has a 3.88 GAA and an .862 save% in his last five starts, especially for a team that doesn't score much.  And in those five games, he actually got decent support:  3, 2, 4, 2, and 3 goals (decent for the Devils, anyway). 

The numbers are fugly since 11/27:

14 GP, 3+ goals allowed 9 times, .882 save%, 3.00 GAA.  When you put that sample up against Cory's last 12 games (3 goals allowed once (in OT), 2 or less in the other 11 GP, .945 save%, 1.47 GAA), and the schedule before the Olympics is so favorable from a rest standpoint, it's just really hard to come up with a compelling reason for why Marty should get a start.  Whether it's four weeks, five weeks or six weeks before Marty gets another game, does it really matter?  He's not going to be comfortable either way, so stick with the guy who's giving you the best chance to win, or at least come away with a point.     

When not playing during tose 4 weeks, its not like he sitting around. 

He's the practice goalie (and like all of the practice goalies) he's got to treat it like a game... to show the coaches that he's playing lights out and not letting anything past him.

when they see that, they'll put him in.

So I'm assuming that his practices aren't going so well....

Kind of hard to make a case for a guy who has a 3.88 GAA and an .862 save% in his last five starts, especially for a team that doesn't score much.  And in those five games, he actually got decent support:  3, 2, 4, 2, and 3 goals (decent for the Devils, anyway). 

14 GP, 3+ goals allowed 9 times, .882 save%, 3.00 GAA.  When you put that sample up against Cory's last 12 games (3 goals allowed once (in OT), 2 or less in the other 11 GP, .945 save%, 1.47 GAA), and the schedule before the Olympics is so favorable from a rest standpoint, it's just really hard to come up with a compelling reason for why Marty should get a start.  Whether it's four weeks, five weeks or six weeks before Marty gets another game, does it really matter?  He's not going to be comfortable either way, so stick with the guy who's giving you the best chance to win, or at least come away with a point.     

..no, I don't disagree with what they're doing. I'm just shocked he didn't play the game @ Nashville at the very least.

From the stand-point of professionalism, it does show the Devils in a good light though. How would it have looked after 4 days of Marty stomping his feet.. if the organization gave in to him and start playing him more? At the very least, they're telling the rest of the team, no one is going to strong-arm us into making any decision(s) that's not best for the franchise.

..no, I don't disagree with what they're doing. I'm just shocked he didn't play the game @ Nashville at the very least.

From the stand-point of professionalism, it does show the Devils in a good light though. How would it have looked after 4 days of Marty stomping his feet.. if the organization gave in to him and start playing him more? At the very least, they're telling the rest of the team, no one is going to strong-arm us into making any decision(s) that's not best for the franchise.

I have a funny feeling he may get the Edmonton start, regardless of what happens tonight: 

If the Devils win, maybe they don't think those points are somehow as urgent (not saying I agree with that at all).

If the Devils lose, PDB thinks the Devils need to change it up. 

But I think Cory gets the Washington start regardless of what Marty does if he, Marty, plays against the Oilers.  At this point, I think you treat Marty starts like isolated cases.  If he pitches a shutout or plays well enough to win against the Oilers, great.  But one game shouldn't automatically make him the hot hand anymore (the mentality would facilitate him starting the game against the Caps, especially if Cory isn't sharp against the Avs).