Thrashers' rollercoaster ride hurtling toward Winnipeg?

thefiestygoat

For relocation it would be the same players. For an expansion team they have an expansion draft. Not sure if this is what you were asking.

Yes this is what I was asking thanks guys. I dont know why I didnt realize the roster in Atlanta is just going to stay the same. :rolleyes:

Edited by Quinn01

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes this is what I was asking thanks guys. I dont know why I didnt realize the roster in Atlanta is just going to stay the same. :rolleyes:

I think all the organizational structure including farm teams would remain, and they would adjust it in the future, if need be.

I doubt they would call themselves the Jets since the old Jets are a different franchise that still exists. I wouldn't mind if they remained the Thrashers, I just hope they don't come out with something ridiculous like the Killer Snails or some new age futuristic team name like the Power or something.

Are they gonna be the winnipeg thrashers or the winnipeg jets (if this move does happen)

i was wondering the phoenix coyotes have the rights to the jets name since they originally moved to phoenix

Rumor has it they won't be the Jets. The Jets name is owned by the former owner, and apparently the new owner won't give him a dime. More than likely, the Manitoba or Winnipeg Falcons, after the team that won the Olympic Gold for Canada in 19wheneverthehell.

"Just a matter or time" now.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=366351

EDIT: Here's some interesting comments from current and former players: http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/8276/players-support-winnipeg-getting-thrashers

Edited by nyrsuck26

"Just a matter or time" now.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=366351

EDIT: Here's some interesting comments from current and former players: http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/8276/players-support-winnipeg-getting-thrashers

Well if anyone had doubts that crowd support (supporters section?) was noticed/appreciated by players, I guess they're silenced now. With that said, some pretty harsh comments towards Atlanta from some of those players.

Well if anyone had doubts that crowd support (supporters section?) was noticed/appreciated by players, I guess they're silenced now. With that said, some pretty harsh comments towards Atlanta from some of those players.

Several hundred fans to show up? Winnipeg had 30,000 for a save the Jets rally, and that was 1996 in a smaller city

Atlanta is a terrible pro sports city. They barely give two sh!ts about the braves, the original flames couldn't draw flies...it was a braindead decision to bring hockey back into a city as apathetic about sports as Atlanta.

they were celebrating in the streets of winnipeg. Where were the rampant spontaneous celebrations when Atlanta was granting an expansion franchise? Nowhere.

Atlanta to Winnipeg, Phoenix to Quebec in 2012.

Edited by '7'

Several hundred fans to show up? Winnipeg had 30,000 for a save the Jets rally, and that was 1996 in a smaller city

Atlanta is a terrible pro sports city. They barely give two sh!ts about the braves, the original flames couldn't draw flies...it was a braindead decision to bring hockey back into a city as apathetic about sports as Atlanta.

they were celebrating in the streets of winnipeg. Where were the rampant spontaneous celebrations when Atlanta was granting an expansion franchise? Nowhere.

Atlanta to Winnipeg, Phoenix to Quebec in 2012.

Phoenix is not going to move. Your words sound like you must be one of those a$$hole Canadians with a sense of entitlement and superior hockey knowledge. And I can barely understand why your post is relevant to mine.

Buzz off.

Phoenix is not going to move. Your words sound like you must be one of those a$$hole Canadians with a sense of entitlement and superior hockey knowledge. And I can barely understand why your post is relevant to mine.

Buzz off.

Phoenix is on life support for another year. They've done nothing but hemorrhage money from day 1. They'll be in a hockey city by 2012...probably Quebec as they seem next in line after Winnipeg. Florida Panthers will be the next domino to fall.

I think you're just bitter because your beloved idea of southern fried redneck hockey is slowly falling to pieces. Someone call the someone call the whambulance :rofl:

Edited by '7'

Does Phoenix really lose money? I have trouble believing that given the size of their TV market and the fact that they do put seats in the stands, especially come Playoffs (something Atlanta never had the luxury of participating in except for two games).

If Winnipeg only plays in four playoff games in the next twelve years, I'm sure their attendance will be sh!t and support will be a joke. But, no one will call for them to move since Canada is a superior market, right?

Does Phoenix really lose money? I have trouble believing that given the size of their TV market and the fact that they do put seats in the stands, especially come Playoffs (something Atlanta never had the luxury of participating in except for two games).

If Winnipeg only plays in four playoff games in the next twelve years, I'm sure their attendance will be sh!t and support will be a joke. But, no one will call for them to move since Canada is a superior market, right?

now you're floating conspiracy theories that Phoenix is actually making money? yea that's why they've been league owned for 2 yars and the best they can do in terms of ownership is some slimey chicagoland huckster who won't even put up his own money to buy the team. NOBODY, wants to buy the Coyotes for their own money and keep them in Phoenix. Size of the TV market doesn't matter....it's the amount of hockey fans in that market.

Phoenix has had games where it appears 1/6th of the arena is full, if they ever get a respectable crowd it's usually transplants from other areas...and tickets are dirt cheap. That's how they ever get anybody in the building and that's the reason they don't make any money. Put Devils and Rangers ticket prices in Phoenix and they'll draw 500 a game.

That's the (idiotic) risk the NHL took in putting an expansion team into a market (atlanta) with no demand for hockey and little to no knowledge of the game. It's tough to build from expansion to contender...and you don't have enough fans to stick with them through the lean years.

The only reason they've had playoff sellouts since the lockout is cause they played Detroit both times and half the crowd was transplanted Wing fans.

Edited by NJDevs4978

now you're floating conspiracy theories that Phoenix is actually making money? yea that's why they've been league owned for 2 yars and the best they can do in terms of ownership is some slimey chicagoland huckster who won't even put up his own money to buy the team. NOBODY, wants to buy the Coyotes for their own money and keep them in Phoenix. Size of the TV market doesn't matter....it's the amount of hockey fans in that market.

Phoenix has had games where it appears 1/6th of the arena is full, if they ever get a respectable crowd it's usually transplants from other areas...and tickets are dirt cheap. That's how they ever get anybody in the building and that's the reason they don't make any money. Put Devils and Rangers ticket prices in Phoenix and they'll draw 500 a game.

That's the (idiotic) risk the NHL took in putting an expansion team into a market (atlanta) with no demand for hockey and little to no knowledge of the game. It's tough to build from expansion to contender...and you don't have enough fans to stick with them through the lean years.

And I know this because I've been there and seen it firsthand ... right .... oh wait I'm too busy bashing my own team on a message board every time they let in a single goal. But I'm actually an on the fanbase demographics of another franchise market. You've never been to Glendale - you haven't a clue. You're simply drawing straws from media articles and what you see on TV (if you've ever even seen a PHX game).

I hate when people draw conclusions about the Devils fanbase based on what they see on TV with empty seats and attendance figures - yet some are lightning quick to toss that stone at another. One could say it might have been an "idiotic" risk dropping a team into an area with two other franchises within such a short distance - how'd that turnout?

The only reason they've had playoff sellouts since the lockout is cause they played Detroit both times and half the crowd was transplanted Wing fans.

I seriously doubt that, unless all the wings fans decided to participate in the white out.

I'd love to go out to Glendale for a playoff game, I think it'd be a cool experience.

20513417660867906061192.jpg

Edited by adam85491

Phoenix is on life support for another year. They've done nothing but hemorrhage money from day 1. They'll be in a hockey city by 2012...probably Quebec as they seem next in line after Winnipeg. Florida Panthers will be the next domino to fall.

From a nostalgic perspective I'd love to see the Coyotes move to Quebec and Panthers move to Hartford. Quebec seems like a real viable option since they are building that new arena and have the fan support. Plus I can't see the NHL wanting to own the team for another season after this next one. I have no idea what the Panther ownership situation is like or if the NHL could ever return to Hartford, but it would be awesome if it was possible.

And I know this because I've been there and seen it firsthand ... right .... oh wait I'm too busy bashing my own team on a message board every time they let in a single goal. But I'm actually an on the fanbase demographics of another franchise market. You've never been to Glendale - you haven't a clue. You're simply drawing straws from media articles and what you see on TV (if you've ever even seen a PHX game).

I hate when people draw conclusions about the Devils fanbase based on what they see on TV with empty seats and attendance figures - yet some are lightning quick to toss that stone at another. One could say it might have been an "idiotic" risk dropping a team into an area with two other franchises within such a short distance - how'd that turnout?

I've always been upfront and honest in assesing the Devils. Thus far they've been a mixed bag attendance wise...the adversity they've faced in spreading roots in NJ is huge.

It was a huge risk dropping the Devils in Jersey. It's hurt us having the Rangers in our backyard and the Flyers to the south (the Trashers and Coyotes have no regional infringements) The fact that we survived from 1982-1995 is a miracle.

But the devils did survive, they have carved out a middle of the road fan base competing against two NHL superpowers.

Phoenix doesn't lose money, it hemorrhages it. Their gate is virtually non-existent and the tv and corporate money isn't there either. All of their means of existance is outside money, from the leaseholder and the league. There is alot of work to be done there. Alot. When they have to be floated $50M+ from two different sources to exist, that's not particularly good.

Florida isn't going anywhere, they're married to their building like we are. They're just there as a dateholder, a weird existance. I'd say they were like the Royals but the Royals are run to turn a profit. So they're more of a loss-leader for their arena.