What Lou might be up to this offseason

Devils Pride 26

I'm starting to think the reasoning of Lou laying low so far is to keep a modest cap number intact heading into the anticipated lockout. Barring the cap dropping many teams spending up to it are going to be in a pinch and buying out some pretty decent players to get under. There are two big positives to this.

A: The Devils internally are taken care of cap wise and could field a team with the players currently on roster and are sitting tight with $55M tied up.

B: This allows the Devils to pounce on any lucrative free agents bought out

If the cap does go down say $5M, five teams are immediately in trouble. Boston, Minny, Vancouver, Calgary and San Jose would all be over the cap. Right behind them would be Montreal. Not to mention Philly if they sign Weber. Hello potential buy outs to Gomez maybe Gionta.

The more I think about it, the happier I am to see that Lou sat back. Things could really work out in our favor.

Note: This idea stems from eztarget and triumph debating in the Weber thread/

There's also the whole 'owner practicing how to tie a bindle for when he becomes a traveling hobo after the Devils get wrested away from him' aspect.

I mean, yes, the Devils are to some degree in a favorable position, but you have lots of other teams way below the cap who typically aren't, including the Rangers and Red Wings.

There's also the whole 'owner practicing how to tie a bindle for when he becomes a traveling hobo after the Devils get wrested away from him' aspect.

I mean, yes, the Devils are to some degree in a favorable position, but you have lots of other teams way below the cap who typically aren't, including the Rangers and Red Wings.

Regardless, I think the Devils are in a much better position now than they were heading into the last lockout. Everything, other than ownership, is taken care of. The last time Nieds and Stevens were both uncertainties. I wonder if Lou had done this on purpose.

I still am holding out hope the Rags trade for Nash and the Wings sign Semin. Post lockout, hopefully Lou is able to get Wegmans value at Wal-Mart prices.

The only thing we know for sure that Lou is going to do is trade a defenseman, most likely Greene or Tallinder.

I'd like to see him get Semin at a reasonable price on a 3 or 4 year deal, which would be worth the gamble.

I also hope he's putting together an extension for Zajac while at the same time kicking the tires on a possible trade if it's clear a deal can't be reached.

Yea, I mean there are plenty of teams with plenty of cap space right now.

Regardless, I think the Devils are in a much better position now than they were heading into the last lockout. Everything, other than ownership, is taken care of. The last time Nieds and Stevens were both uncertainties. I wonder if Lou had done this on purpose.

I still am holding out hope the Rags trade for Nash and the Wings sign Semin. Post lockout, hopefully Lou is able to get Wegmans value at Wal-Mart prices.

I think you're being overly optimistic. I appreciate that and hope that what you suggest is the case, but I find it hard to fathom that the new CBA is adopted by owners with cap space issues now without some sort of security blanket like buyouts, contract restructuring, an amnesty clause (if not all 3), or other fail-safes that allow these teams that are currently in any sort of cap issues (or will be soon) a way out without significantly altering their current make up.

I think its pretty clear that our financial issues are what's causing this weird offseason, but they were willing to get into further trouble to keep Parise, not take chances on guys who've never been here before.

I think you're being overly optimistic. I appreciate that and hope that what you suggest is the case, but I find it hard to fathom that the new CBA is adopted by owners with cap space issues now without some sort of security blanket like buyouts, contract restructuring, an amnesty clause (if not all 3), or other fail-safes that allow these teams that are currently in any sort of cap issues (or will be soon) a way out without significantly altering their current make up.

I think its pretty clear that our financial issues are what's causing this weird offseason, but they were willing to get into further trouble to keep Parise, not take chances on guys who've never been here before.

I'm not saying that Lou will without a doubt sign a big name if they are bought out. I'm saying that it's a bonus. The Devils could field a borderline playoff team with the roster they have now and still have the ability to add a significant piece to get better.

Lou is in a wait and see position. Some teams are going to be in a mad scramble and I think we are in a pretty good position to take advantage of that, if it were to develop.

I'm not saying that Lou will without a doubt sign a big name if they are bought out. I'm saying that it's a bonus. The Devils could field a borderline playoff team with the roster they have now and still have the ability to add a significant piece to get better.

Lou is in a wait and see position. Some teams are going to be in a mad scramble and I think we are in a pretty good position to take advantage of that, if it were to develop.

With respect, we need to replace Parise's' numbers. If not, we are not a borderline playoff team if you consider the east. In our division alone this season, we were ranked below the rags, Crosby's divas, and Philthy. A lot of teams were hovering in the 80 point range that did not make it. If any of those teams become better, or we have a bad run, we may find ourselves on the outside looking in. Yes, I am a spoiled Devils fan that is used to success, but we just went the the cup and lost, we should not be satisfied with staying still or moving backwards.

With respect, we need to replace Parise's' numbers. If not, we are not a borderline playoff team if you consider the east. In our division alone this season, we were ranked below the rags, Crosby's divas, and Philthy. A lot of teams were hovering in the 80 point range that did not make it. If any of those teams become better, or we have a bad run, we may find ourselves on the outside looking in. Yes, I am a spoiled Devils fan that is used to success, but we just went the the cup and lost, we should not be satisfied with staying still or moving backwards.

I don't think you can think about it that way. As Debo said, they are going to need a little bit from everyone else.

The fourth line scored one goal all of last year in the regular season, mainly because it was built with goons. I think now fourth line production could chip away at half of the 30 goals we are trying to replace. Zajac and JJ were both hurt for nearly the whole year, penciling them them in for 15 goals each is not that far fetched. Down the stretch, Henrique faded and scored 1 goal in his final 30 games before coming to life in Game 7. I think we see a more consistent Henrique this year. Zidlicky should have a bigger impact on the offense being around for a full season.

On the other hand, Clarkson will probably not hit 30 goals again and Sykora's numbers must be replaced (I think he will be re-signed). With any luck, Brodeur is able to avoid another dangerous slow start.

We will be fine.

edit: And all of this is avoiding the point of the thread. We will have plenty of room to make another move if needed,

Edited by Devils Pride 26

Lou needs to acquire someone, whether it's by trade or by signing Semin.

The offense minus Zach is..not impressive. Kovy, Zajac, Henrique (assuming he doesn't have a sophomore slump - which I think he will), maybe Elias (if he continues to defy the laws of aging)..but that's about it.

That's 3.5 players in our top 6 that I think can be counted on. I don't expect Clarkson to score 30 goals again.

Edited by Devilsfan118

I think Lou should stop going after FAs. We have depth and talent on our top 6 with Kovy, Elias, Clarkson, Zajac, Zubrus, and Henrique. We have JJ and Tedenby on our projected third line and a marvelous fourth line. Just wait and see Lou acquire some depth for our team at the deadline for our next playoff run. (Remember Penguins lost Hossa but won the Cup.). Sure Doan and Semin will add scoring depth on our team, but if their price and heart do not belong to NJ, fine by me.

Considering the mid-season moves that got us where we got to, I'd be content starting the season with this team. See if anyone from Albany can make the cut in camp.

I think they'll wind up re-signing Sykora at some point soon too, or maybe he'll come to camp as a tryout again.

I think Lou should stop going after FAs. We have depth and talent on our top 6 with Kovy, Elias, Clarkson, Zajac, Zubrus, and Henrique. We have JJ and Tedenby on our projected third line and a marvelous fourth line. Just wait and see Lou acquire some depth for our team at the deadline for our next playoff run. (Remember Penguins lost Hossa but won the Cup.). Sure Doan and Semin will add scoring depth on our team, but if their price and heart do not belong to NJ, fine by me.

I am not content with hoping that everyone can play at a higher level than last year to make up for Zach's offense. As others have pointed out, Clarkie and Elias will likely have less points this year than they did last year. Semin would be a great addition....and Lou would not sign him unless the price is right.

Honestly I don't see Lou signing Semin. And about the hole zach left , I don't feel to worried about it because we have Zajac from the start of the season now. I know he won't completely fill zach shoes when it comes to points but it's a start. We don't have to go out and sign a big name for alot of money just someone who can produce consistently with decent numbers. 2 years ago zach was out for the whole year, first half we sucked big time but the second half we were amazing even though there was no zach. He was my favorite player and I'm pissed he left but I think the team will be fine without him.

While I agree 100% that I think Lou knows what he's doing (and taking his time might not be such a bad thing), I will still be concerned on opening night with the current roster assuming the other teams in our division get better. Philly will be better should they acquire Weber, and NY/Pitt will be scary assuming they add some piece of Semin/Doan/Nash/etc. Let's be honest here; we had a great run last year but finished 4th in the division. As of right now we're not as good of a team, and if everyone else gets better...uh oh.

Edited by NLinfante