Discuss - Most Likely Trade Deadline Targets

Sharifijanov2099

Larsson, Boucher, Brunner for Hall? I doubt that would get it done though.

I'd throw Larsson + Santini + a 2nd or something. Like i said i wouldnt throw ANY of our future scoring in there. We're gonna need Boucher in the future for sure.

Plus wouldnt make sense for EDM to grab boucher, they are bad cause they already have too much of the same player and boucher is another one.

I'd throw Larsson + Santini + a 2nd or something. Like i said i wouldnt throw ANY of our future scoring in there. We're gonna need Boucher in the future for sure.

Plus wouldnt make sense for EDM to grab boucher, they are bad cause they already have too much of the same player and boucher is another one.

That's true re: Edmonton having enough guys like Boucher already. They really need d. I don't know how their pipeline looks, but maybe Larsson, Santini/Severson, Brunner/2nd might be enough to entice them.

does either side do taylor hall for larsson and henrique?

for an oilers team that is trying to find an identity and has all the offensive talent and the devils who need to find someone who is an absolute proven scorer.

i think this trade makes sense for both teams. and i'm high on larsson obviously but taylor hall is really good.

I don't think that Henrique / Larsson resolves Edmonton's problems.  Both are relatively young with insignificant playoff / leadership experience (other than the SCF run of 2012).  

Edmonton would have to get a 1 for 1 plus "intangible" additional value for a player of Hall / RNH / Yakupov / Eberle's caliber - meaning, a player like Henrique (similar straight up value) and Elias (intangible leadership, experience value).  Or, even a combination of Zubrus / Greene / Larsson or Zajac / Volchenkov would most likely land you a player of that caliber.

We don't have those chips to give up unfortunately.

That's true re: Edmonton having enough guys like Boucher already. They really need d. I don't know how their pipeline looks, but maybe Larsson, Santini/Severson, Brunner/2nd might be enough to entice them.

What Edm really need is a proven Dman and some warriors/board monsters/forecheckers up front

Both players were begging to get out. Still not convinced Lou will trade anyone unless they specifically ask to go.

plus remember we dumped Langs cause we HAD to, remember with Elias coming back and Lou admitting he created a dark cloud over the locker room cause they we're over the limit and guys knew someone was gonna get shipped once Elias was gone.

So again that was just patching the mess he created that summer.

Honestly, after last night, I think the Devils need to put the Seller's Only sign in the window. I kept hoping that the Devils would get on a run but at this point, expecting that to happen is merely an exercise in frustration. It's like the movie Ground Hog's Day over and over and over again. I think the Devils should seriously see what they can get for Jagr and honestly, if they can move Marty (as much as it pains me to say it) they should do that as well. There are probably a couple of other assets they can move for picks while still keeping their young core intact. I think if the Devils are smart, they can really improve this team for the long-term. But right now my biggest worry is the Devils don't do anything (or trade for some mediocre vets) and just limp to the finish line in 12th place.

does either side do taylor hall for larsson and henrique?

for an oilers team that is trying to find an identity and has all the offensive talent and the devils who need to find someone who is an absolute proven scorer.

i think this trade makes sense for both teams. and i'm high on larsson obviously but taylor hall is really good.

Edmonton laughs at that deal.  Hall is one of the best young forwards in the game.

Both players were begging to get out. Still not convinced Lou will trade anyone unless they specifically ask to go.

If things don't turn around in the first few games after the break, Jagr will probably ask for a trade to a contender. In that scenario, I'd move him for a 1st in a second. It would probably be a conditional 1st though, like what Boston gave up last year for him.

I could easily see Jagr going to Lou.  Lou would respect that, if it was the case.  Doesn't sound like Jagr is that thrilled lately with Deboer after the initial rosey honeymoon period ended.

Zidlicky is another question.  I think that's a 50/50 proposition pending how we do the first few games back out of the Olympic break.  Considering how close Zids is with Elias I don't see him asking for a trade and I don't see Lou moving him voluntarily unless other teams offer something unthinkable.  But it's not that likely Zidlicky will be back next year unless Lou somehow moves several defensemen off the roster and there's no faith in Merrill, Larsson, Gelinas taking bigger steps in assuming more time.

Could easily see a scenario where Lou moves Jagr but also makes another move or two to bring in another forward or two not just for this year but for next year and etc.

After last night, I think it's time to become sellers. This team really needed that one last night. Now not only do they fall farther behind in points, they have another team to catch too.

I'm all for selling at this point.

If anyone offers Lou a 1st for Jagr, that deal has to be made. I'd trade him for a 2nd even. If Zidlicky can be had for a 2nd, do it - I'd even consider a third.

If we can get ANYONE for Sal we make the trade, even if we take an equally bad forward contract in return. Doubt there's a market for either him or Volch. Gelly, Merill, Larsson, and Boucher ALL should be up on the roster coming out of break, I'd even give Matteau a look too.

After last night, I think it's time to become sellers. This team really needed that one last night. Now not only do they fall farther behind in points, they have another team to catch too.

If anyone offers Lou a 1st for Jagr, that deal has to be made. I'd trade him for a 2nd even. If Zidlicky can be had for a 2nd, do it - I'd even consider a third.

If we can get ANYONE for Sal we make the trade, even if we take an equally bad forward contract in return. Doubt there's a market for either him or Volch. Gelly, Merill, Larsson, and Boucher ALL should be up on the roster coming out of break, I'd even give Matteau a look too.

We're 3 points back.  Do we have to jump over 5 other teams?  Yes.  But the problem with that mindset is that it's not realistic at all to expect all of those teams to finish with 90+ points.  The most amount of teams to finish a season with 90 points in either conference is 10 teams.  All the Devils have to do is go out and win.  Go on a tear, and they're in.  It's not even some mega tear either.  Not enough of you are looking at the big picture.  If the Devils finish with 93 points, the likelihood of them not making it is tiny.  The Devils still have an easy schedule, and they play most of their games at home.

Another thing, any GM who sold being only 3 points out would be crucified no matter how many teams we have to jump.  No other GM in the league would sell if they were in our position.  All we need is one proven scoring top 6 forward.  If we get that, then the other guys might start scoring as well.  There's also a lot of guys who can be had on the cheap, and we try to revitalize their careers.  Brad Boyes, Martin Havlat, Milan Michalek are names we could look at that won't be expensive.  Guys like Chris Stewart, Mike Cammalleri, Vanek, and Moulson would not be cheap, but we should have enough to get them.

People tend to underestimate the effect that one key acquisition can have on a team.  If anybody hasn't noticed, the problem we have is that we don't have a LW to play with Zajac And Jagr.  We have a hole in the top 6 that we need to fill.

Like I said in the GDT, Lou has to bring up Larsson and Gelinas.  Get rid of Harrold and Salvador.  Get a scoring LW to play with Jagr and Zajac.  If Lou does all of that, I promise people that results will follow.

If Jagr and Zids can bring that in, I'm all in......................  :yay:

Lou is going to have to use his last compliance buyout opportunity on one of them, and it's probably going to be Volchenkov with the 2yrs remaining and even though he has been pretty decent this year.  Volch's problem is he's always going to miss time due to his physical play and he's clearly getting slower.  Don't see him doing a compliance buyout on the guy wearing the C, even though Salvador has been pretty bad now two years in a row and himself has really gotten noticeably slower.  Lou might try to trade Salvador but I don't see any team willing to take him on unless we retain salary and we won't get anything of value.

We're 3 points back.  Do we have to jump over 5 other teams?  Yes.  But the problem with that mindset is that it's not realistic at all to expect all of those teams to finish with 90+ points.  The most amount of teams to finish a season with 90 points in either conference is 10 teams.  All the Devils have to do is go out and win.  Go on a tear, and they're in.  It's not even some mega tear either.  Not enough of you are looking at the big picture.  If the Devils finish with 93 points, the likelihood of them not making it is tiny.  The Devils still have an easy schedule, and they play most of their games at home.

Another thing, any GM who sold being only 3 points out would be crucified no matter how many teams we have to jump.  No other GM in the league would sell if they were in our position.  All we need is one proven scoring top 6 forward.  If we get that, then the other guys might start scoring as well.  There's also a lot of guys who can be had on the cheap, and we try to revitalize their careers.  Brad Boyes, Martin Havlat, Milan Michalek are names we could look at that won't be expensive.  Guys like Chris Stewart, Mike Cammalleri, Vanek, and Moulson would not be cheap, but we should have enough to get them.

People tend to underestimate the effect that one key acquisition can have on a team.  If anybody hasn't noticed, the problem we have is that we don't have a LW to play with Zajac And Jagr.  We have a hole in the top 6 that we need to fill.

Like I said in the GDT, Lou has to bring up Larsson and Gelinas.  Get rid of Harrold and Salvador.  Get a scoring LW to play with Jagr and Zajac.  If Lou does all of that, I promise people that results will follow.

Sorry, not happening. 

This team needs to win 15 of the final 23 games or so. We're talking about a team that has only won more than two games in a row once, back in November. Also, we're talking about a team that is dead last in shots for per game and 0-8 in the shootout. None of the players you mentioned are going to change that. This organization has depleted all resources and there is nothing left to trade for.

You're also anticipating on Cory putting up Vezina quality numbers the rest of the way. He he slips just a little, the team has absolutely no shot.

Edited by Devils Pride 26

All the Devils have to do is go out and win.  Fantastic premise.  Unfortunately we have not done that consistently at all this season.  Two steps forward, one step back.  One step forward, two steps back.

Moulson has been exposed without Tavares and he's essentially a lesser left-handed version of Ryder.  He's not a difference maker, just a complimentary depth scoring forward.  Boyes/Michalek/Havlat are washed up at this point.  They do nothing to surge our chances or our offense.  Vanek will cost a ton, not produce much, and then bolt, great idea there.  Neither Cammalleri or Stewart are difference makers either.  You are so overly simplistic in your thinking about "one key acquisition" and even more about making promises.

And everyone knows Lou needs to bring up Larsson and Gelinas.  But they're not up here.  And we've been calling for getting rid of Harrold and Salvador since last year.  But you also don't want any criticism of Lou.  Can't have it both ways.

And it's becoming clear Jagr would have no problem being moved and I don't see why we shouldn't.  We gambled on him and we got great results.  No chance I'm gambling another 4 million or so on a 42 yr old for next season when we need to get much younger and faster.  Let him get a shot at another Cup and another rent-a-legend contract with a good run.  It's a win-win for everybody (us, Jagr, the team that gets to rent him for the playoffs). 

Sorry, not happening. 

This team needs to win 15 of the final 23 games or so. We're talking about a team that has only won more than two games in a row once, back in November. Also, we're talking about a team that is dead last in shots for per game and 0-8 in the shootout. None of the players you mentioned are going to change that. This organization has depleted all resources and there is nothing left to trade for.

You're also anticipating on Cory putting up Vezina quality numbers the rest of the way. He he slips just a little, the team has absolutely no shot.

Agreed.  Cory slips even just a bit over a 10-12 game stretch, we could easily end up with an ugly 2 or 3 win type record based on our offense, which will kill our playoff chances.

Sorry, not happening. 

Your also anticipating on Cory putting up Vezina quality numbers the rest of the way. He he slips just a little, the team has absolutely no shot.

The thing about going on a tear is that nobody ever sees it coming.  

We also won't get much of anything for the guys we have if we do sell.  This year's draft is considered one of the weakest in a long time.  Any first round pick we do trade for is gonna be a late first.  I don't think any of our players would fetch a first.  Lou really has nothing to lose by buying this season.  So why not give it a shot?

All the Devils have to do is go out and win.  Fantastic premise.  Unfortunately we have not done that consistently at all this season.  Two steps forward, one step back.  One step forward, two steps back.

Moulson has been exposed without Tavares and he's essentially a lesser left-handed version of Ryder.  He's not a difference maker, just a complimentary depth scoring forward.  Boyes/Michalek/Havlat are washed up at this point.  They do nothing to surge our chances or our offense.  Vanek will cost a ton, not produce much, and then bolt, great idea there.  Neither Cammalleri or Stewart are difference makers either.  You are so overly simplistic in your thinking about "one key acquisition" and even more about making promises.

And everyone knows Lou needs to bring up Larsson and Gelinas.  But they're not up here.  And we've been calling for getting rid of Harrold and Salvador since last year.  But you also don't want any criticism of Lou.  Can't have it both ways.

And it's becoming clear Jagr would have no problem being moved and I don't see why we shouldn't.  We gambled on him and we got great results.  No chance I'm gambling another 4 million or so on a 42 yr old for next season when we need to get much younger and faster.  Let him get a shot at another Cup and another rent-a-legend contract with a good run.  It's a win-win for everybody (us, Jagr, the team that gets to rent him for the playoffs). 

No they haven't been consistent this year at winning.  That's the point of making a trade.  You make a trade to make the team better.

I think Moulson on Zajac's and Jagr's left wing would help him out.  Regarding the other guys, the whole point is that you take the chance if you've got nothing to lose by acquiring them.  Simply put, we've got nothing to lose by acquiring them.  Cammy would be a great fit on this team imo.  We have the pieces need to get him.  You're being too simplistic too.  Assuming things are just gonna stay the course if we stand pat is being too simplistic as well.  Saying none of those guys will help the offense is being too simplistic.  Like I said, nobody ever predicts a long winning streak or a team going on a tear.

I never said I don't want any criticism of Lou.  I'm not sure where you got that idea from.  I've criticized Lou plenty of times.

If we trade Jagr, the only winners will be the team getting him, and Jagr.  We won't get much for him at all.  As I've said many times, no other GM would ever sell if they were in our position.

We also won't get much of anything for the guys we have if we do sell.  This year's draft is considered one of the weakest in a long time.  Any first round pick we do trade for is gonna be a late first.  I don't think any of our players would fetch a first.  Lou really has nothing to lose by buying this season.  So why not give it a shot?

Ok, I'm glad you have a hunch. I have 59 games saying otherwise.

So the only pick worth trading for is a first? Where were Tedenby and Josefson drafted? Where were Merrill, Severson, and the savior himself, Gelinas drafted?

You keep saying it won't take much to get one of those guys. Well what are you willing to sell?

Edited by Devils Pride 26

I have to agree with what Devils Pride 26 has been saying, it's time to sell. Sure the team may not be that far out from a points perspective but with the amount of teams they'd have to jump, it's not going to happen, especially with a team this inept at scoring.

Jagr went for a 2 young players and a conditional 2nd last year that ended up becoming a 1st when Boston reached the ECF. One of the players, MacDermid, wasn't anything special at the AHL level and seems like a throw in that has since been traded again. The prospect in the deal, Payne, has nice size but hasn't been overwhelming at the OHL level and is still 20. If the Devils move Jagr I'd love to get the same type of draft pick and then some sort of young F prospect even if they aren't that highly regarded.

I don't know what Zidlicky would fetch but I would love to get a decent draft pick for him. Maybe a 2nd/3rd? Maybe a GM out there would value Salvador's leadership but I doubt Lou moves him. Devils do need a player like Ryder for next year but I wouldn't mind if Lou kicked the tires to see what his market value would be.

Outside of the D, this organization is dreadfully thin at F and G in the minors and prospect pool. I don't want to sacrifice any of the D for a rental for this year's team. I would be open to moving one of them if they could get a young forward like Brett Connolly from Tampa. Still just 21, decent size 6'2, 193 lbs, former high 1st round pick, 94 points in 108 AHL games with 84 NHL games on his resume, and Tampa has a loaded system from what I've read so maybe they are open to moving him.

With that said, I feel like Lou is either going to do nothing or waste something on a rental like Mike Cammalleri that won't make a difference.

I have to agree with what Devils Pride 26 has been saying, it's time to sell. Sure the team may not be that far out from a points perspective but with the amount of teams they'd have to jump, it's not going to happen, especially with a team this inept at scoring.

Jagr went for a 2 young players and a conditional 2nd last year that ended up becoming a 1st when Boston reached the ECF. One of the players, MacDermid, wasn't anything special at the AHL level and seems like a throw in that has since been traded again. The prospect in the deal, Payne, has nice size but hasn't been overwhelming at the OHL level and is still 20. If the Devils move Jagr I'd love to get the same type of draft pick and then some sort of young F prospect even if they aren't that highly regarded.

I don't know what Zidlicky would fetch but I would love to get a decent draft pick for him. Maybe a 2nd/3rd? Maybe a GM out there would value Salvador's leadership but I doubt Lou moves him. Devils do need a player like Ryder for next year but I wouldn't mind if Lou kicked the tires to see what his market value would be.

Outside of the D, this organization is dreadfully thin at F and G in the minors and prospect pool. I don't want to sacrifice any of the D for a rental for this year's team. I would be open to moving one of them if they could get a young forward like Brett Connolly from Tampa. Still just 21, decent size 6'2, 193 lbs, former high 1st round pick, 94 points in 108 AHL games with 84 NHL games on his resume, and Tampa has a loaded system from what I've read so maybe they are open to moving him.

With that said, I feel like Lou is either going to do nothing or waste something on a rental like Mike Cammalleri that won't make a difference.

While I'm not in full 'sell' mindset just yet, I agree 100,000% re: not trading the young d-men unless its for a young, skilled top 6 guy under team control for a few years. If Lou wants to trade. 4th or 5th for Cammalleri or someone like him- fine, I guess. If he moves ANY of those young defensemen for someone like that- I will have a coronary.

You're painfully and annoyingly optimistic. On top of that you're not realistic.

You have to deal in the reality of what this team is. A team that can not score. On top of that, you have to remember that in order to improve and climb the standings, they have to sustain what they already have going for them. A top ranked PK, a 42 year old on a one year deal who can run out of gas any minute now and Vezina-level goaltending that has to stay Vezina level with no margin for error. You know they're going to have to win a SO along the way, too. They also have to leapfrog over at least a half dozen teams.  

You can look at it and say that as bad as they've been offensively they have no where to go but up, but after this many games it's clear it's a problem. It was a problem 20 games ago. I mean they are one 42 year old on a one year deal away from being worse if that's possible,.

That is why it is important to consider trading off and getting assets back to start. You're not going to cure all the ills this trade deadline but it's a start they have to consider making. Get some assets back, go into the Summer and continue from there. This team is in an ideal position to deal to teams in a playoff spot or have eyes on a deep run. The players we vilify here can be valuable depth pieces in different roles. Lamoriello is going to get plenty of calls leading up to the deadline. It might not be a stretch to say, but don't you think the Devils can help influence that logjam of top teams in the West with a shrewd and beneficial deal?

Edited by TheRedStorm
  • Like 1