Start the Gomez-to-NJ rumors

hoekster316

http://espn.go.com/n...312/scott-gomez

ESPN apparently thinks he never left lol

EDIT: ESPN apparently just is lazy. Patrice Cormier never left either I guess http://espn.go.com/n...patrice-cormier Lozo says ESPN has a lot of these

EDIT 2: and now Cormier's fixed. So confused and I look crazy

Edited by DH26

Reno lavoie just said on rds that Nj was reviewing the possibility to sign gomez... He's always spot on usually

I expect there to be mutual interest, I'd almost be surprised if they don't reach a deal. I'm still surprised they want to put Kovalchuk on the RW. I'd like to see something like this:

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Butler

Henrique-Elias-Zubrus

Carter/Darche-Josefson-Clarkson

Carter/Darche-Gomez-Bernier

Limit Gomez at even strength and give him power play time. I also am doubtful Gionta will stick as the 4th line center for this season and Tedenby makes the team for the full year. If they don't sign Gomez, it appears they are thinking about something like this:

Zubrus-Zajac-Kovalchuk

Elias-Henrique-Butler

Darche-Josefson-Clarkson

Carter-Gionta-Bernier

I prefer Kovalchuk on the left and Elias in the middle and Henrique out left but I trust whatever PDB comes up with. He's a fantastic coach.

A lot of talk about Gomez being terrible in terms of traditional scoring (goals/assists) on a terrible Montreal squad. Not many players are going to look good on teams like that, especially if you factor in his shooting luck. But the guy drove play and can carry the puck well...something no-one in our bottom 6 can do. And down the stretch the year before that, when he played with skilled players, he had 21 points in 23 games or thereabouts.

Like Triumph has pointed out - signing him would be a benefit simply because it might keep Tim Sestito from playing. Gomez, playing like he did last year, would still be an upgrade over Sestito.

It's time people got over him leaving for NYR, because if he signs in NJ he'll make the team better.

That ESPN Gomez page has been fixed. But I saw that too, before it was. Weird indeed.

That ESPN Gomez page has been fixed. But I saw that too, before it was. Weird indeed.

His profile still says "New Jersey Devils" and has the Devils logo in the background.

I don't want him back. When we brought Holik back, it wasn't that big of a deal for me, because I wasn't following the NHL yet when he was still here - he was a Ranger/Thrasher for me from day one. I knew his story, so I wasn't a fan of getting him, but then again, he's a character guy and pretty likeable when he's on your side. Plus, the Rangers were barely an NHL team with him, so he didn't do us much damage at all.

With Gomez, on the other hand, I saw the whole story, followed him playing for us, then signing that humungous contract Rangers fans loved. I saw him and his butt-buddy Avery lead the Rags over us in 2008 and celebrate on our ice (I don't even live in the U.S. and it was still frustrating!). Ever since then, I enjoyed watching his career go downhill and laughing at Rangers fans and the hopes they put in him. I don't hate him as a human being, wouldn't want him hurt or anything, but purely as a hockey figure... seeing him getting buried in the AHL until retirement would make me smile. :P

I know you want to make the team better, but seriously: 1. the guy is washed up; 2. would you really sign ANYONE to help the team? Would you sign Avery (a few years ago, when it was possible)? There are certain players I wouldn't like to see on the team and Gomez is definitely one of them.

That being said, I can totally see Lou signing him the moment he is bought out. Lou loves his nostalgia.

I'm glad some of you guys aren't running this team. If a guy can help the team, and you have a spot for him, you take him. I don't care if it is Sean Avery. If Avery could help this team, even I would sign him. Avery can't, Gomez possibly could.

We pretty much know Gomez wants to come here. We know it's not going to be about the money, because he has that coming to him anyway. This is about redemption, to repair a reputation and to give his career a final third act.

We know the best years of his career were here, not too long ago - with Patrik on his wing. We know he, despite his father's opinion and youth-rebel-thing, thought he could thrive without the structure the Devils bring to their team as an organization (and which the sh!t storms in NYR at the time and Montreal did not have). I think he has learned this the last few years.

Get Patrik on his wing, Lou watching upstairs and Stevens watching from the bench, and I think we see a rebirth of Scott Gomez. Hell, give him Kovalchuk to pass to on the power play...and I think we see something special.

But I'm optimistic. It beats throwing Bobby Butler, Darche or Barch out there.

I'm glad some of you guys aren't running this team. If a guy can help the team, and you have a spot for him, you take him. I don't care if it is Sean Avery. If Avery could help this team, even I would sign him. Avery can't, Gomez possibly could.

We pretty much know Gomez wants to come here. We know it's not going to be about the money, because he has that coming to him anyway. This is about redemption, to repair a reputation and to give his career a final third act.

We know the best years of his career were here, not too long ago - with Patrik on his wing. We know he, despite his father's opinion and youth-rebel-thing, thought he could thrive without the structure the Devils bring to their team as an organization (and which the sh!t storms in NYR at the time and Montreal did not have). I think he has learned this the last few years.

Get Patrik on his wing, Lou watching upstairs and Stevens watching from the bench, and I think we see a rebirth of Scott Gomez. Hell, give him Kovalchuk to pass to on the power play...and I think we see something special.

But I'm optimistic. It beats throwing Bobby Butler, Darche or Barch out there.

Spot on, could not agree more.

His profile still says "New Jersey Devils" and has the Devils logo in the background.

I don't want him back. When we brought Holik back, it wasn't that big of a deal for me, because I wasn't following the NHL yet when he was still here - he was a Ranger/Thrasher for me from day one. I knew his story, so I wasn't a fan of getting him, but then again, he's a character guy and pretty likeable when he's on your side. Plus, the Rangers were barely an NHL team with him, so he didn't do us much damage at all.

With Gomez, on the other hand, I saw the whole story, followed him playing for us, then signing that humungous contract Rangers fans loved. I saw him and his butt-buddy Avery lead the Rags over us in 2008 and celebrate on our ice (I don't even live in the U.S. and it was still frustrating!). Ever since then, I enjoyed watching his career go downhill and laughing at Rangers fans and the hopes they put in him. I don't hate him as a human being, wouldn't want him hurt or anything, but purely as a hockey figure... seeing him getting buried in the AHL until retirement would make me smile. :P

I know you want to make the team better, but seriously: 1. the guy is washed up; 2. would you really sign ANYONE to help the team? Would you sign Avery (a few years ago, when it was possible)? There are certain players I wouldn't like to see on the team and Gomez is definitely one of them.

That being said, I can totally see Lou signing him the moment he is bought out. Lou loves his nostalgia.

I didn't say anywhere I want Gomez back. I'm with you. I know it'd be a low-risk move, and I don't hold any grudges against him for going to the Rangers. I just don't think he has a whole lot left, if anything, and I'd rather not see yet another ex-Devil come back and be a shell of his former self. But I can understand the argument for his coming back...I'm just not in agreement with it.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

So we want a guy back who Pat Burns wanted off the team, nearly had Larry Robinson check into a nut house, possibly fired a puck at Claude Julien, Scott Stevens couldn't stand, routinely disappeared in the playoffs, told us to meet him in Newark and bolted to the Rangers, and has stunk up the ice for at least the last four seasons?

So we want a guy back who Pat Burns wanted off the team, nearly had Larry Robinson check into a nut house, possibly fired a puck at Claude Julien, Scott Stevens couldn't stand, routinely disappeared in the playoffs, told us to meet him in Newark and bolted to the Rangers, and has stunk up the ice for at least the last four seasons?

Well, gee...when you put it that way...

You're neglecting that in all likelihood, he's coming back with a chip on his shoulder. He couldn't act like that if he absolutely had to right now. This is his rock bottom. A motivated Gomez with the proper guidance could be a valuable asset

i thought john madden was the one that shot the puck at Julien

I have never seen anyone claim that it was Gomez who shot the puck at Julien. All stories about that had either Madden or Langenbrunner as the culprits.

skeeter: There won't be any playoffs to disappear in if the Devils don't improve at forward.

Did I miss something?

Don't forget that he also gave Elias hepatitis, took naked pictures of Gretzky's daughter, convinced Scott Niedermayer to leave NJ, and forced Lou to sign Ken Klee.

I didn't say anywhere I want Gomez back. I'm with you.

I didn't say you wanted him, I only replied to the part of your post about ESPN. Nice to hear, though.

That's why we're called fans, not GM's. Newsflash: being a fan is not about being rational. Never was. In fact, it's the complete opposite. After all, why would you care about a bunch of jocks chasing a piece of rubber on the ice for millions of dollars?

If I was a GM, obviously I would have a different, cold, analitycal look at all this. But I'm a fan. And as a fan, I can't stand Scott Gomez, I have too many bad memories about him. It's funny how we suddenly forget about the rivalry, bad memories and everything. Me, I still don't want to watch him. Go West, please.

And if you say you'd sign Avery... Call me a fanatic, a hater, call me whatever you want, but I say there are some things a proud organization should never do and signing Sean Avery after all the crap he pulled against us (and not just against us) tops that list.

And come on, it's Gomez we're talking about. Not Crosby. Not Giroux. Gomez. He's not going to be that big of a help, so why get so horny for him? Ask me if I want Lundqvist on this team and I'll bring you the 7 million to sign him (cool fact, BTW: his contract with the NYR expires the year Marty hangs 'em up). Because, while I dislike him and want him to fail as a Ranger, I'm not blind and I see he's a very good goalie. There I would definitely care more about helping the team than holding a grudge against a rival. But Gomez? Remind me once again, how many goals did he score last year? Move on, let him rot.

Don't forget that he also gave Elias hepatitis, took naked pictures of Gretzky's daughter, convinced Scott Niedermayer to leave NJ, and forced Lou to sign Ken Klee.

Yeah, especially this! :D

Edited by Revan

Scott Stevens didn't like anyone. Hell when he was coaching and Marty was injured for most of the season, whenever Marty showed up to BS with everyone in Lou's box (complete with cup of coffee that did not have coffee in it), Stevens would move up to the "bartable" area of the box.