184 replies to this topic

#61 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:59 PM

His last name is just complicating this far too much. Unless he was circled nine times on Lou's draft board with big stars and the words "CAN'T MISS" over his name, I wouldn't want him. And unless we're guaranteed a cup victory next year this is the best case scenario to pay the Kovalchuk penalty....silly Lou
6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#62 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:02 AM

His last name is just complicating this far too much. Unless he was circled nine times on Lou's draft board with big stars and the words "CAN'T MISS" over his name, I wouldn't want him. And unless we're guaranteed a cup victory next year this is the best case scenario to pay the Kovalchuk penalty....silly Lou

This isn't a video game, you don't base the seeds of your franchise's future on last names, you base it on their ability to play hockey.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#63 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,947 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:30 AM

lol you guys are even worse than the HF crowd with this. I loved all the assumptions that we were going to trade the pick just because there was no reason to keep it other than wanting to postpone the penalty as long as possible.

Did Lou trade Parise's rights last night? No. Nothing short of that was really going to annoy me anyway. And we're not gonna care about this guy who may or may not see the NHL in the next few years in a week and a half when we have bigger fish to fry.

btw Dano and Messier are supposedly good friends, does anyone give a **** about that? Didn't think so. The two teams and fanbases are just so intertwined there's going to be oddities like this eventually. I just hope the Rangers don't troll us back in a few years by taking Anthony Brodeur to replace Lundqvist lol.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 23 June 2012 - 12:35 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#64 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:33 AM

Edited by Zubie#8, 23 June 2012 - 12:35 AM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#65 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:33 AM

Funny how some people on here just refuse to ever trust Lou or Conte despite the fact that they've proven the skeptics wrong many times in the past. Whatever. I'm as surprised as everyone else that we kept the 29th pick, and though I don't understand it, I trust that Lou and Conte saw some value here and picked us up a good player. I couldn't care less about the fact that his name is Matteau. If he can develop into a solid, hard-nosed winger with a little goal scoring ability, he will find a place in the NHL a few years down the line.

#66 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,241 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:37 AM

i'm not thrilled but honestly, if this kid wasn't his father's son, we'd all be talking about how this kid will make the team in 3 years on the 2nd line and him, larsson, josefson, merrill, gelinas and urbom will be carrying this team to a cup.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#67 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:38 AM

This isn't a video game, you don't base the seeds of your franchise's future on last names, you base it on their ability to play hockey.

That's what I said. In my opinion, no player on the board at the time was BETTER than the option of forfeiting this years pick for the Kovalchuk penalty. I'm saying that Lou better be sold 100% on this guy because he's an investment for the future, picking a player for now or just taking the penalty this year is a decision in the now.

Edited by cgb6397, 23 June 2012 - 12:39 AM.

6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#68 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,183 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:48 AM

I just hope the Rangers don't troll us back in a few years by taking Anthony Brodeur to replace Lundqvist lol.

They actually wouldn't have to wait a few years, Anthony is draft eligible next year! It would be awesome to see the Devils pick him up in a later round.

Edited by thefiestygoat, 23 June 2012 - 12:48 AM.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#69 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:48 AM

World has ended. Sorry.

Stefan and Stephane haha

Posted Image

#70 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:50 AM

Lou is such a troll.

Posted Image
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#71 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,947 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:53 AM

They actually wouldn't have to wait a few years, Anthony is draft eligible next year! It would be awesome to see the Devils pick him up in a later round.

Nah, way too much pressure. I'm starting to think it isn't realistic to plug 'any' young goalie in there and have him carry the torch after Marty, at least not immediately. You need a hold-the-fort vet who isn't going to embarass you (the next Hedberg) to bridge the gap before you even think about going with a kid imo.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#72 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:54 AM

We should have given up the pick this year. What a waste.

This.

815631765.gif

#73 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:55 AM

World has ended. Sorry.

Stefan and Stephane haha

Posted Image

Haha I love this picture. The Rangers fans' hero wearing a Devils hat.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#74 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,947 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:56 AM

I have to admit feeling a weird portion of payback for having to deal with Dan Klecko in a Pats jersey playing for Billy Boy :P

#75 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:08 AM

I just can't come to tema with te fact that we chose not to give up ou pick for.. Stephen Matteau???

Edited by Onddeck, 23 June 2012 - 01:09 AM.

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#76 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:14 AM

I just can't come to tema with te fact that we chose not to give up ou pick for.. Stephen Matteau???

Stefan.

#77 Kovys Puck

Kovys Puck

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:27 AM

Just like on HF boards, how many of you guys have seen this kid play? I'm gonna guess 99% haven't seen him, so stop judging. After reading some articles on the guy he seems to be the typical devils type of player. No one can write him off til we see him in atleast 2-3 years.

#78 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,089 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:34 AM

Stefan.

That's the least bothersome part of his sentence.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#79 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:42 AM

That's the least bothersome part of his sentence.

Haha that sentence was like something you'd find on a third grader's homework assignment designed to work on your proofreading skills.
--John Buccigross

#80 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:45 AM

Just like on HF boards, how many of you guys have seen this kid play? I'm gonna guess 99% haven't seen him, so stop judging. After reading some articles on the guy he seems to be the typical devils type of player. No one can write him off til we see him in atleast 2-3 years.

Amen.

Another thing to consider is maybe this guy tuns out to be good enough to the point where we don't care about Stephane anymore and the name Matteau gets a whole different meaning around here. What a kick in the pants that would be to Rangers fans.
--John Buccigross

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users