2012 All Purpose UFA Thread

Mayday

I've seen other people feel athletes/musicians/actors in the public eye shouldn't mention politics...unless agreeing with their own politics. I think Sean Avery even got a thread on a Devils board praising him for jumping into political speech. Either these guys have the rights to their opinions and can speak them or they are public figures and should never speak them, but it's not that they should speak only ones I agree with or they're political clowns.

Unless you consider him a clown because he said he'd stand by Chik-Fil-A, in which case that should be in the politics thread.

I am not saying I disagree with anything he is saying but in my opinion professional athletes, actors, musicians, etc, should not become political ideologists until after they retire. It just rubs me the wrong way. Its fine to support or acknowledge support for something but in this case Thomas is using his fame to spew his ideology out there, and this is the second time so thats why it rubs me the wrong way.

Edited by Zubie#8

I've seen other people feel athletes/musicians/actors in the public eye shouldn't mention politics...unless agreeing with their own politics. I think Sean Avery even got a thread on a Devils board praising him for jumping into political speech. Either these guys have the rights to their opinions and can speak them or they are public figures and should never speak them, but it's not that they should speak only ones I agree with or they're political clowns.

Unless you consider him a clown because he said he'd stand by Chik-Fil-A, in which case that should be in the politics thread.

I agree. Everyone praised Avery for his stance on gay marriage, but pans Thomas for his opposing political views. They're are both entitled to their opinions, whether or not you agree with them.

As an aside, can you imagine what Lou would do if Thomas was tweeting/Fb'ing this stuff while he played for the Devils?

Edited by Chuck the Duck

The Sens bought out 25 year old right handed winger Bobby Butler today. I wonder if the Devils would have any interest in signing him for depth purposes and/or to help Albany out?

Looks like we were interested in him a few years ago.

The Ottawa Senators are close to signing American college star Bobby Butler, Hockey Night in Canada 's Elliotte Friedman reported Sunday.

Butler, 22, plays in the NCAA for New Hampshire, and led all college players in scoring during the regular season with 27 goals.

He added two more when New Hampshire beat Cornell 6-2 on Friday in the first round of the NCAA men's hockey championship, but his team was eliminated a day later by Rochester Institute of Technology.

Ottawa apparently beat out strong bids from New Jersey, Pittsburgh, and Vancouver for Butler's services.

Edited by Zubie#8

Interesting, I had no idea about that. We'll see if the Devils still have interest after all these years.

I think its a no brainer to try to sign this guy. If he doesnt pan out with the big boys he will just play in Albany where they need more forwards.

Edited by Zubie#8

The Sens bought out 25 year old right handed winger Bobby Butler today. I wonder if the Devils would have any interest in signing him for depth purposes and/or to help Albany out?

Devils desperately need depth. I'd give the guy a shot, but it wasn't like the Sens didn't give him all the chances to succeed last season. He really disappointed after a very solid 2010-2011 season.

Should be something to look out for in the next week or so.

Devils desperately need depth. I'd give the guy a shot, but it wasn't like the Sens didn't give him all the chances to succeed last season. He really disappointed after a very solid 2010-2011 season.

Should be something to look out for in the next week or so.

Really? Butler started out Game 1 of the season playing 6:28. It appears he got chances on higher lines as the season progressed, but it looks like right out of the gate they felt he was a 4th liner. He's 12th on the team in total PP time.

Huselius is another guy like Semin, pretty darn good when you 've got room to skate, but weak along the walls. Not a devils type. Thanks, but no thanks. There are no UFA's out there worthy to start in place of a prospect.

I hope Teddy watches film of Gerbe, Gionta, St. Louis, Tyler Ennis, etc. of what it takes for a little guy to succeed in this league.

I also wonder which prospect will step up and actually make the team.

Huselius is another guy like Semin, pretty darn good when you 've got room to skate, but weak along the walls. Not a devils type. Thanks, but no thanks. There are no UFA's out there worthy to start in place of a prospect.

I hope Teddy watches film of Gerbe, Gionta, St. Louis, Tyler Ennis, etc. of what it takes for a little guy to succeed in this league.

I also wonder which prospect will step up and actually make the team.

No offense, but i'm getting tired of the old "not the Devils type of player" line. How many people said originally that Kovy "wasn't a Devils kind of player" back when the rumors hit? And now? He's POTENTIALLY our next captain. Someone who has changed his game, adapted and shown he's belong. Sorry but I think that line has worn out its welcome. Plus come on, did people see the likes of Mogliny as a "Devils kind of player"? I don't think such a thing exists anymore...

Edited by TheMazz

No offense, but i'm getting tired of the old "not the Devils type of player" line. How many people said originally that Kovy "wasn't a Devils kind of player" back when the rumors hit? And now? He's POTENTIALLY our next captain. Someone who has changed his game, adapted and shown he's belong. Sorry but I think that line has worn out its welcome. Plus come on, did people see the likes of Mogliny as a "Devils kind of player"? I don't think such a thing exists anymore...

I think this is where the gap as fans versus insiders change things. We don't know the personalities of the players, other than what we see on the ice or infer from the media. GMs and players get much more direct information, especially on free agents, so are better able to tell when guys may or may not fit personality wise.

Let's say the Devils end up signing Huselius. Where does he fit in? He's listed as a LW, not sure how well he could play RW, but maybe this could work out:

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Zubrus (maybe switch Kovy and Zubie so they aren't both off-wing)

Elias-Henrique-Clarkson

Huselius-Josefson-Bernier

Carter-Gionta-Barch

Unfotunately, you've got to stick Barch in there. Also, I would like to see Tedenby given another legitimate chance. I'm neither sold on him being a bust, nor a top 6 NHLer, but he deserves another chance I think. I'm still not a huge fan of having Clarkson on the second line, but that's always subject to change. Regardless of any of this, I think a trade needs to happen, even if it means only getting prospects/picks in return. We can hope for more, but who knows what will really happen.

Edited by nessus

While the free agent market is bone dry, I'm going to stick to thinking that more quality players are going to be cut loose when the new CBA comes in.

I will also say, if Tedenby makes the team, the third line should look like Tedenby - JJ - Clarkson. Together in 2011 they had a lot of success down the stretch.

Barch is going to play, especially in regular season games vs. the Flyers and Rangers. I hate to say it because the hockey played in the playoffs without them is a much better product, but you need to have an enforcer on this team to counter the goons that the Rangers and Flyers have on their rosters with all the BS that goes on the regular season. I don't think you need both him and Cam though.

He probably won't take a shift in the playoffs should we make it but, until the NHL outlaws fighting, players like Barch are necessary in each team's lineup.

I think the reason we don't see as many trades as in the past, like Lou has said, many GM's put so much value on players and what they expect in return. Like, you want who & what? for him? You think he's that good.

I think Teddy will again be on a short leash this year, but hopefully he shows what everyone expected from him in the 1st place.

Hopefully, there is a reasonable trade partner out there that doesn't expect the sun/moon in return.