GDT: Devils @ Avalanche 9:00 PM EST

ThreeCups

Overall great game for Cory, but I'm really starting to wonder if he would be ready to commit long term to the Devils. I think he would be, because of the number 1 spot and the big $$, but we'll see. I sure hope he stays though.

Trying to read these things is damned near impossible, especially right now.  If you're looking for silver linings, as much as you can right this minute, at least hurdle #1 seems to have been crossed:  the majority of the starts should be his for the rest of the season...hopefully one or two meh starts isn't enough for PDB to run back to Marty. 

As for the rest...the team making the playoffs and winning a round would probably help with his perception of the Devils' future.  You've got to figure Lou will try to make improvements, and guys like Gelinas, Merrill, Boucher and others will have gotten their feet wet.  Hopefully Larsson is back and contributing as well, before the season's out (furthering his development).   

And money talks.  If Lou offers him max or near-max dollars at max term, would Cory risk turning it down?  The good news is that Lou can pull out all of the stops if he wants to...who else on the Devils is due a payday like that? 

if Merrill is going to commit to behind the net he needs to win that battle and/or certainly needs to prevent the easy pass, he did neither.

and was Gionta centering that line?? that's the centers area

yeah folks around here always are quick to lay blame on the usual suspects (gionta, Marty, Salvador and Volch). The fault for the goal was basically a combined effort by all 5 guys.

And even so, to focus on the goal given up is a bit silly because as many have already said the real issue is our own scoring- we have to win games when we only give up one goal in regulation.

By my quick count we've had 7 games this season where we have up one goal or fewer but couldn't win in regulation. That's not good.

yeah folks around here always are quick to lay blame on the usual suspects (gionta, Marty, Salvador and Volch). The fault for the goal was basically a combined effort by all 5 guys.

And even so, to focus on the goal given up is a bit silly because as many have already said the real issue is our own scoring- we have to win games when we only give up one goal in regulation.

By my quick count we've had 7 games this season where we have up one goal or fewer but couldn't win in regulation. That's not good.

While it was a team breakdown, centers and defensemen are traditional the only players who should end up behind the net. That said, they work as a chain. When one D is on the boards, the other is taking the net. Never should more than two players be behind the net at once.

Gionta is at fault more than anyone there for seeing both defensemen behind the net and chasing after anyway. The wingers were high on the points where they should be. Left the slot wide open. If Gionta and Gelinas were behind the net and Merill chases, I'd be pissed at him too.

While it was a team breakdown, centers and defensemen are traditional the only players who should end up behind the net. That said, they work as a chain. When one D is on the boards, the other is taking the net. Never should more than two players be behind the net at once.

Gionta is at fault more than anyone there for seeing both defensemen behind the net and chasing after anyway. The wingers were high on the points where they should be. Left the slot wide open. If Gionta and Gelinas were behind the net and Merill chases, I'd be pissed at him too.

I'd have to look at it again but from giontas perspective I thought he felt Merrill was beat down low and someone needed to contest the wrap around. In real time I saw the play develop and wondered why Merrill was waiting behind the net before the pass even went there. I honestly could be wrong though as I didn't see the replay.

But again if the first thing anyone takes away from the game is giontas play there they missed the final 45 minutes because this team despite all it's scoring chances in the third and OT only managed one goal.

A lot of players I wasn't too high on initially this year have grown on me. Jagr, Ryder, I gave up on clowe early on, Merrill, but for some reason I can't come around to Cory. I feel like this is the last place he wanted to come play, and his attitude has rubbed me the wrong way.

I said after the Toronto game that I had really been starting to like clowe, and I officially became a fan of his after that goal. I think the same thing went for Merrill after last nights game. He looked horrendous to me after a good chunk of games, and did not look mentally ready for the NHL. he has started to play much better in his own zone, and is finally making smart plays with the puck instead of nervously throwing it to whatever red jersey he sees first. I liked his play against some real good forwards yesterday.

A lot of players I wasn't too high on initially this year have grown on me. Jagr, Ryder, I gave up on clowe early on, Merrill, but for some reason I can't come around to Cory. I feel like this is the last place he wanted to come play, and his attitude has rubbed me the wrong way.

It's your opinion and that's fine, but this just in: Athletes can't win.

I'd have to look at it again but from giontas perspective I thought he felt Merrill was beat down low and someone needed to contest the wrap around. In real time I saw the play develop and wondered why Merrill was waiting behind the net before the pass even went there. I honestly could be wrong though as I didn't see the replay.

But again if the first thing anyone takes away from the game is giontas play there they missed the final 45 minutes because this team despite all it's scoring chances in the third and OT only managed one goal.

Right now with this pop gun offense, when someone makes a glaring mistake as big as Gionta's, it's going to be noticed. Anyone who watched the first two periods is happy with a point.

Right now with this pop gun offense, when someone makes a glaring mistake as big as Gionta's, it's going to be noticed. Anyone who watched the first two periods is happy with a point.

agreed they were easily being out played i mean the shots on goal during the second was like 2(nj) to i think it was 13... i mean come on

that's fair, but IMO you can't just waive off the continued offensive woes yet criticize a single bad play- this is like criticizing a pitcher for losing a complete game 1-0. Who's more responsible for the loss?