2008 Summer Olympics

Satans Hockey

I'm mainly going to be watching soccer but I will probably watch basketball, baseball, boxing, judo, softball and wrestling. I couldn't careless about the other sports but I will probably watch a little tennis, volleyball and table tennis. I hope the USA wins everything though!

The womens soccer team is playing Norway at 7:30am today.

There are also HD channels just for soccer and basketball.

Here is a great site for the soccer schedule...

http://www.worldcupblog.org/world-football...and-online.html

Edited by Satans Hockey

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will be the first time in a LONG time I am watching the Summer Olympics with any interest... I've been more motivated then ever this year.... I finally found something to root for in the summer games....

so I'll be rooting hard for Argentina in Soccer and DEFINITELY in basketball :boogie::whistling::boogie:

and you can watch the whole messed up thing online too if I heard right during the Sunday Night Football game, like enough hours of TV to last a lifetime :blink:

This will be the first time in a LONG time I am watching the Summer Olympics with any interest... I've been more motivated then ever this year.... I finally found something to root for in the summer games....

so I'll be rooting hard for Argentina in Soccer and DEFINITELY in basketball :boogie::whistling::boogie:

You better not be rooting for Argentina over the US. There is no reason good enough to root against your own country.

You better not be rooting for Argentina over the US. There is no reason good enough to root against your own country.

Reason 1:

n834761101_1077264_4210.jpg

:uni:

Reason 2:

This is also true in hockey, but I tend to find the guys who represent this country in basketball (and I resent them still calling it a "Dream Team"... there was only one of those) as well to be totally unlikable and impossible to root for (ESPECIALLY in hockey, when you spend all year hating guys like Richter, Leetch, Chelios, UpChuck, Guerin, Gomez, etc... and now I am supposed to cheer them on like a Ranger fan?? I think not :P.... I'm too emotional to be able to flip the hate switch on and off!!)....and my only interest in soccer is because two people got me to pay attention to it this year

and besides, aren't we all about freedom of choice right?? B )

You are whipped. No pride in your country? Shame on you.

I have PLENTY of pride in my country, and did you read the rest of my reasoning?

I usually never even bother with the Summer Olympics and tend to only watch hockey and I'll be damned if in the Hockey I'm going to root against Brodeur and Elias and cheer for Ranger players for a tournament that's not even a patch on the fanny of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, my non-rooting for the US (then again I never root for a team because "they are the local team"... if I did I'd be a Ranger fan :P) stems more from hockey and spills over

now

This is like telling me I need to root for a pile of AIDS wrestler like Jim Duggan who can't throw a punch but I should mark out for him because the only four words he can say are U ... S.... A.... and hooooooooo

.... um ....no :P

I have PLENTY of pride in my country, and did you read the rest of my reasoning?

I usually never even bother with the Summer Olympics and tend to only watch hockey and I'll be damned if in the Hockey I'm going to root against Brodeur and Elias and cheer for Ranger players for a tournament that's not even a patch on the fanny of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, my non-rooting for the US (then again I never root for a team because "they are the local team"... if I did I'd be a Ranger fan :P) stems more from hockey and spills over

now

This is like telling me I need to root for a pile of AIDS wrestler like Jim Duggan who can't throw a punch but I should mark out for him because the only four words he can say are U ... S.... A.... and hooooooooo

.... um ....no :P

I did and I still disagree :P

I hate the Rangers as much as the next person but I would rather see the USA win in hockey and every other sport regardless of who is on the team or not.

and it's YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :lol:

I didn't realize the events had already started. In women

So, it's ok and great and wonderful that she becomes a Devils fan because of me and she sits here and we all high five and sing the kool-aid praises because she's now a fan of a team in a sport she didn't care about

but I do the same thing for two sports I don't care about and I'm whipped??

Way to go kettle... find the pot!!

I can't believe I actually watched a soccer game..... :blink:

It's amazing what sports I will watch during the Olympics and then forget about for 4 years. :)

Canada beat Argentina 2-1 in women's soccer.

But I don't know why the play calling has to be done in a golf-commentator tone of voice.

So, it's ok and great and wonderful that she becomes a Devils fan because of me and she sits here and we all high five and sing the kool-aid praises because she's now a fan of a team in a sport she didn't care about

but I do the same thing for two sports I don't care about and I'm whipped??

Way to go kettle... find the pot!!

Country is always before club to me. Now if you ended up becoming a Boca Juniors or River Plate fan because she liked them than that's fine but if it comes down to USA vs. Argentina there is no way in hell one should root for Argentina just because their girlfriend does. I don't care if you were into the sport before or not.

Also unless she grew up in Argentina than she should be rooting for the US as well.

Edited by Satans Hockey

I did and I still disagree :P

I hate the Rangers as much as the next person but I would rather see the USA win in hockey and every other sport regardless of who is on the team or not.

When it comes to amateurs and people who Olympic gold would actually mean something for that's one thing, that's what the Olympics are supposed to be about.

But I don't blame anyone for taking a pass on rooting for professionals in the Olympics like the 'dream teams', especially when most of those players don't want to be bothered with it in the first place (particularly basketball and the tennis players as well, there's at least far more national pride with the hockey players) :P

And I never found it particularly difficult to root for Leetch or Richter on the US team since they aren't particularly a-holes - they just wear the wrong uniform in the NHL, hell some of the other yahoos like Chelios and Thachuk are far worse. Plus at least the US had 'some' Devils like Rafalski, Langs, and Gomez before he became persona non grata.

Now if it was Sean Avery or even Messier, that would be a different story but fortunately neither will be on the US team anytime soon.

Edited by Hasan4978

There should be NO reason for the USA s basketball team to go undefeated this time around and get the Gold medal! No excuses this time. Bring home the Gold! This team is stacked from top to bottom and should be no contest. China iand Yao Ming is up first for the men's USA basketball team.

Country is always before club to me. Now if you ended up becoming a Boca Juniors or River Plate fan because she liked them than that's fine but if it comes down to USA vs. Argentina there is no way in hell one should root for Argentina just because their girlfriend does. I don't care if you were into the sport before or not.

Also unless she grew up in Argentina than she should be rooting for the US as well.

She likes the Boca Juniors and I'm sure I'll be seeing their games on the computer come the fall too....

I've always put friends and family before country anyway, so it's non-issue to me....I had no passion for a sport,

then said person gets me interested IN a sport, so you're more likely to see the sport and root for it their way

(I'm a Devils fan because of my first GF after all)

and she's only moving to the US cause of me.... so yeah... figure it out B )

She likes the Boca Juniors and I'm sure I'll be seeing their games on the computer come the fall too....

I've always put friends and family before country anyway, so it's non-issue to me....I had no passion for a sport,

then said person gets me interested IN a sport, so you're more likely to see the sport and root for it their way

(I'm a Devils fan because of my first GF after all)

and she's only moving to the US cause of me.... so yeah... figure it out B )

Some Boca games are shown on the fox soccer channel.

Those brainwashing techniques finally paying off? :P

Some Boca games are shown on the fox soccer channel.

Those brainwashing techniques finally paying off? :P

I'll have to tell her that

I dunno, ask me after the Devils season opener (providing she's back here in time for it :evil:)

Whatever it is that got her attention I am NOT questioning it, cause then I might lose it :P

I can't believe I actually watched a soccer game..... :blink:

It's amazing what sports I will watch during the Olympics and then forget about for 4 years. :)

Last time around I found myself unable to turn off the diving competition. When it was over, it was like awaking from a coma. Like, did I really just watch three hours of high diving?

And I'll probably do it again this year if I happen to stumble across it while channel surfing. The Olympics are crazy like that.

USA! USA! USA!

Did the Olympics even start yet? How are you supposed to watch it..?

Im so disinterested :doh1:

Womens soccer started yesterday and Mens soccer started today due to scheduling. The opening ceremony is tomorrow and the games begin Saturday. It's on nbc and nbc related channels.

Hugeeeeeeeeeeeeeee 1-0 win today for the mens team over Japan. Netherlands and Nigeria had a tie.

The division looks like this right now

USA - 3 points

Netherlands - 1 point

Nigeria - 1 point

Japan - 0 points

If the US can beat Netherlands on Sunday than they will advance to the next round no matter what.

Edited by Satans Hockey

Congratulations China, HANDS DOWN best opening ceremoney!

I was going to say it was unremarkable until the torch lighting which was insane.

The guy who lit the thing flew to the cauldron.

Blacked out for those waiting to watch tonight on NBC. It was pretty boring most of the way but the ending was good. I would tune in around 11 o'clock.