‏Zach Parise has agreed to terms with the Minnesota Wild

Daniel

Just curious.. Say we did have the capability to match Pittsburgh's offer, would you guys even want to do it? I don't think I'm willing to go the "sign him at whatever cost" route.

For me it depends on the offer. If its a 12/13 year deal (as its been rumored), I lean no. It just seems too long to commit to a guy that plays the way he does. I think he's more likely to break down sooner than say, Kovy. If its a 7/8 year deal, then I absolutely would hope we could match/exceed.

Lets say the high end offer is taken. 12 years/90 million, that's almost absurd, altho the cap hit is doable (7.5) depending on how its loaded. Some of his offers are rumored to eclipse 100 million before the signing bonus. Its insanity.

The part I have trouble with in all of this is the fact we're potentially losing our captain and a guy who I really hoped would be a career Devil. If its not our coach, its a huge free agent we're losing. Every damn year it seems, but then again, the franchise regularly bar the fart of 10-11 seem to bounce back and at least be competitive, so its hard to judge it overall in the immediate. Its not the end of the world if Zach leaves, but it certainly won't feel good no matter what # he gets. I do think we could be better in the long run without him at those #s, but we could suffer in the immediate.

Edited by ghdi

Any of you guys "reading" the topic wanna chime in so we can have a decent post-Parise conversation?

1.) Like others have said, let's not have a post-Parise conversation when we're not post-Parise yet.

2.) Whenever people think you might be willing to have a serious discussion, you go and pull something like this:

Get used to our new jersey in a few seasons. Actually it's still kind of got the NJ on it, sorta.2411311952_d4876e80ec.jpgWe'll probably see a a rise in attendance revenue with the glut of Nords fans invading the arena the next couple seasons.

... so if you want to have an intelligent conversation, how 'bout you knock it off with the trolling, eh?

My problem is how he was adamant about not going to the Rags but then has Philly and Pitts as 2 of the possible 4 teams left in the hunt. It makes the "i'm not going to the Rags" thing ring hollow. As a Cowboys fan its the same as someone saying they won't go to the Giants but choose the Redskins or Eagles...its just as bad and he has to know that.

My problem is how he was adamant about not going to the Rags but then has Philly and Pitts as 2 of the possible 4 teams left in the hunt. It makes the "i'm not going to the Rags" thing ring hollow. As a Cowboys fan its the same as someone saying they won't go to the Giants but choose the Redskins or Eagles...its just as bad and he has to know that.

He wasn't going to the Rags cause of the system they play anyway. Plus they weren't going to offer him more than other teams would regardless, not when they're trying to acquire Nash by throwing back Dubinsky who's half the cap hit.

Edited by NJDevs4978

StereoDesign, you're really annoying. What happened to you? I used to enjoy your posts, now you just seem like you're on suicide watch and trying to take us with you.

Haha well sorry to hear that but i was just stating a fact there... People keep on bringing back his quote bout NY like its pure cash but ignore that he took it back... Not that i think that he would go there anyway but wtv... Im also not depress at all to be honest, it would suck to lose zach and hurt us but on the long run it would have been deadly to have him on a super long contract with a big cap hit.

Maybe its that time of the year? Im usually always positive mostly but its pretty hard to do in these situations.

As mentioned last week by someone, the thing the Devils can offer that no one really else can is that the Devils are Parise's team.

He can go to Pitt and play in the shadow of super stars. He can go to Philly and deal with their early 2000's ranger-esque roster shakeups every year. Sure he could be the face of the Wild but I seriously question his motives if that is the case.

I am all for dudes getting paid but I really can't stand people who would go to a team like the flyers or Pitt After being drafted by the devils and becoming the captain of the devils. It really shows that such a player doesn't care much about being on a team, rivalries etc.

And i really don't want to hear from the NHL when they are trying to play up rivalries and what not if it is so easy to jump from the devils to the flyers etc.

I still would like to see more to sports than "hired guns" jumping from one rival to the next, it's a slap in the face to the game and the money paying fans.

I'm on the iPod so sorry if this looks disjointed

alright so i was out for the day and i was refreshing twitter on my cell furiously every minute

i guess im seeing this whole thing pretty much the same way than everyone here...we obviously want zach back in NJ but not at any price. We all know that Zach will likely never be able to keep on play the way he is for 10+ years

Still my pride doesnt want to go through losing my fav player on the team buuuuuuuut we havent lost him yet... parts of me strongly believe that he's gone and others have that idea that he could pull a legendary move by taking less to stay a Devils forever. Then someday we'll win against the Pens in the conference final and then when Zach will be lifting the cup we'll be able to say... "Remember that time when Zach almost signed with Pittsburgh"

also i'd like to imagine that the ownership problem is temporary, so for all we know we could be back a cap team by the trade deadline and go after guys like Iginla, Perry, Getzlaf, etc etc. So what i'd say to Zach if i was Lou is just... stick with us we MAY go through a rough patch this season but we'll be the one shopping for shinny toys next summer maybe.

so i guess we'll see... but i still think that it would be ridiculous for Pittsburgh to sign Zach long term with Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fleury already there... they may have the best top6 in the league but their depth will be damaged with time and just like we see in the playoffs every years depth is really important. Plus Pittsburgh have a really good D prospect pool and those kids + letang will need a raise eventually and they may have to part with good young guys.

Not that I have been following much today but this reminds me of LeBron stringing around Cleveland when he full well knew he was going to Miami. "They were in it to the end" or some bs like that. Even if the Devils are out, it's good damage control from the Parise camp to say the Devils are still in the mix.

If the bidding has gotten this ridiculous...forget about it.

The ownership situation is crucial here IMO. Never trust a former vp of Lehman bros.

Such a bad timing... Im absolutely sure that without that trouble they could have locked him up for way cheaper than wtv hes gonna get anywhere (unless his agent would REALLY be pulling the strings hard to reach UFA)

But wtv... Long term i would have picked kovy eventhough zach is my fav... Kovy outscored him during the season and in the playoffs while playing at like 60%, this run was somehow encouraging showing us what we could get from a slowed down kovy in his late 30s...

Not that I have been following much today but this reminds me of LeBron stringing around Cleveland when he full well knew he was going to Miami. "They were in it to the end" or some bs like that. Even if the Devils are out, it's good damage control from the Parise camp to say the Devils are still in the mix.

If the bidding has gotten this ridiculous...forget about it.

Parise is a good Player and I want him on the team but he is not a franchise player that is worth as much as some moronic gm/ team will give him.

Sorry but I tend to think like billy beane on this stuff and what Parise gives you is only worth it at a good price and we all know that some team will overpay. Player contracts are bloated because of moron gms.

A lot also depends on who else is available in that particular year. Teams will want to throw money around to get better on paper, and Parise is the cream of the crop this summer. Good for Zach's bank account, bad for the Devils.

Question, do the other teams know what the other offers are and how much? Are they not allowed?

However I don't think the fact that he hasn't signed yet is a bad sign for the devils. I don't think Lou isn't one to promise the ranch right off the bat and I'm sure everyone around him is telling him to hear out the other teams' offers even if he fully intends to stay with nj.

Edited by Jmorc2003

Hey if we heard that the Hawks offered Brodeur 12M over two years, we would have said he's a goner, but there is team loyalty that Parise saw from Brodeur and his signing will definitely impact Zach.

I wish the whole world works the way you just described...

EVERYONE WANTS $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ME YOU MARTY ZACH EVERYONE

I don't like the way this is panning out...we are all going to be VERY disappointed by the end of today. I can feel it.

Hey if we heard that the Hawks offered Brodeur 12M over two years, we would have said he's a goner, but there is team loyalty that Parise saw from Brodeur and his signing will definitely impact Zach.

I think you are really reading or buying into the whole team loyalty concept a little too much.

I just hope Parise maybe feels like this is the team for him and he has the best chance at a cup on this team. Perhaps the extra bonus of being the captain and not having to play 2nd or 3rd fiddle on the other teams add an extra incentive.

The money that is thrown is ridiculous. Zach is good, at times he is great, but not worth the sums we're hearing. July 1st living up to its reputation indeed.

See also Gomez, Scott...Holik, Bobby...Rafalski, Brian...new year, new player, same old story. And the Devils "overpaid" Elias in his last contract in order to keep him on this side of the Hudson, if the whisperings were at all legitimate...his deal just has worked out better than most imagined.

It would be interesting to see how the NHL would change if the free agency process was like that of the NBA...get a week to field offers, then start signing. Maybe it would lessen some of the crazy contracts tossed about in the early frenzy.

I think you are really reading or buying into the whole team loyalty concept a little too much.

I just hope Parise maybe feels like this is the team for him and he has the best chance at a cup on this team. Perhaps the extra bonus of being the captain and not having to play 2nd or 3rd fiddle on the other teams add an extra incentive.

I kind of feel like the only hope the Devils have at this point is if it's a lifestyle choice. The Devils have arguably one of the most attractive travel schedules of any NHL team, and his soon to be wife is from NJ (at least that's what everyone always says). Maybe those two factors weigh more heavily than anyone thinks? Not likely when we're talking about the sums of money that are being thrown his way...but you never know what's going on in a person's head.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.