For those of you who thought Marty would object...

msweet

You underestimated how classy he is

“I think he’s in the net now to stay,” Brodeur said today. “I don’t see that’s going to be changed any time soon. I’ll be ready if it is, but I think we’ve got to try to win some games somehow. This is what (head coach Pete DeBoer) feels is the best opportunity for him to be successful is having (Schneider) in the net and that’s fine. If we win, everybody’s happy. Even though I don’t play, it’s more enjoyable to be around. - See more at:

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/brodeur_believes_schneider_in_devils_net_now_to_stay_hates_not_playing_but_understands_decision/#sthash.ztKuhJFC.dpuf

But Brodeur never said that Schneider gives the Devils the best chance to win. Only if Pete thinks that..he's alright with it. So if I am reading between the lines, he disagrees but will deal with it. What a jerkoff. 

EDIT:

But Brodeur never said that Schneider gives the Devils the best chance to win. Only if Pete thinks that..he's alright with it. So if I am reading between the lines, he disagrees but will deal with it. What a jerkoff. 

Edited by devilsrule33

I get the feeling there was a pleasant and honest conversation behind the scenes (probably involving Lou, DeBoer, and Marty), which is great.  I'm sure they broke the news to Marty in a way that was respectful and fair, and Marty is being realistic about where he is at this stage of his career. 

There's always been a faction of Devils fans that feels that Marty is selfish (I've never agreed with that observation myself, ever).  That group really can't claim that about Marty now.

Though the team is not playing well right now, the Schneider/Brodeur transition has not been a negative at all, and credit goes to everyone involved. 

..... wow.

Think dr33 is going for sarcasm there, but you'll see some people who will see it just that way.

I get the feeling there was a pleasant and honest conversation behind the scenes (probably involving Lou, DeBoer, and Marty), which is great.  I'm sure they broke the news to Marty in a way that was respectful and fair, and Marty is being realistic about where he is at this stage of his career. 

There's always been a faction of Devils fans that feels that Marty is selfish (I've never agreed with that observation myself, ever).  That group really can't claim that about Marty now.

Though the team is not playing well right now, the Schneider/Brodeur transition has not been a negative at all, and credit goes to everyone involved. 

Think dr33 is going for sarcasm there, but you'll see some people who will see it just that way.

Whether it's sarcasm or not, I applaud him. That was a nice stretch.

I think Marty is taking it as well as can be expected. He's been pretty much the best goalie on whatever team he's on since he was about 6 years old. It can't be easy for him to accept that the end is finally here. This has been a very tough year for him on and off the ice.

Marty is just toeing the company line as he should, but let's see how this unfolds,  I never thought this situation was gonna be a smooth one and I still think that.  What is said publicly is going to be drastically different than what is said behind closed doors. Even Pete quantified his statements with a "so far."

I say put Marty on the point on the PP. 

Think dr33 is going for sarcasm there, but you'll see some people who will see it just that way

I got the feeling that had happened a few days ago because Brodeur mentioned he would get ready for Boston, thus knowing already he wasn't starting Thursday. And that's the right thing to do. Pete and Lou should be discussing this with Marty because 1) he has earned that right as much as any athlete in professional sports, 2)it's what any respectful organization should do after so many years of service and 3)they kind of made this a little messy by not even making this a competition to begin with and declaring Brodeur the starter.

As the Melnyk/Murray/Alfredsson/JP Barry saga has showed, any relationship in sports can be destroyed if not handled properly. And when it does happen, it's usually mangement or a coaches fault. Rarely the player. 

Edited by devilsrule33

I got the feeling that had happened a few days ago because Brodeur mentioned he would get ready for Boston, thus knowing already he wasn't starting Thursday. And that's the right thing to do. Pete and Lou should be discussing this with Marty because 1) he has earned that right as much as any athlete in professional sports, 2)it's what any respectful organization should do after so many years of service and 3)they kind of made this a little messy by not even making this a competition to begin with and declaring Brodeur the starter.

As the Melnyk/Murray/Alfredsson/JP Barry saga has showed, any relationship in sports can be destroyed if not handled properly. And when it does happen, it's usually mangement or a coaches fault. Rarely the player. 

They did not 'declare Brodeur the starter right away' - they made Brodeur the starter of Game 1 right away.  Which is a good way of avoiding a controversy, I think - because now we're on Game 9 and Schneider's going to be starting most games at least for the foreseeable future.  Of course, it's a shame the hole the Devils dug because they could only score goals in games Brodeur started and that's what necessitates the Schneider starts, but here we are.

On the other end of the spectrum, look how the Rangers handled the Messier situation...rather, uh, messily. 

That's exactly it. The same mentality that they need to succeed is the one that makes it hard for them to go. It happens a lot with people on the top of their sports.

Bingo! Was thinking about this the other day.  Brodeur had the uncanny ability to shake off some bad goals in his prime.  His ego was a big part of him being able to do that.  There are some goalies that can be complete head cases and get down on themselves, but Brodeur had the ability to bounce back quickly.

If you think Marty has a big ego, well good. Marty should have an ego, he's the greatest F'ing player in the history of his position in this sport.

But I don't think he has an ego and he's handling this about as well as any other goalie could, who's never been a backup goalie.