2010 MLB Thread

devilsrule33

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Cy Youngs I'd go Josh Johnson and Cliff Lee.

Devilsrule - from a sabermetric standpoint, for the NL, it would be Johnson, Halladay, and Jimenez - in that order, in terms of WAR.

It is worth mentioning though that Francisco Liriano leads all of baseball with a 2.19 FIP, so he'd absolutely have to be in the discussion too if sabermetrics were more thought of instead of W-L records/ERA.

I was leaning towards Johnson too. He's been simply sensational. His record unfortunately will really hurt him, which is so frustrating.

i am going to say ubaldo jimenez and either cliff lee or maybe cc sabathia

won't be Lee. Everybody's going to see how he doesn't have enough wins even if that doesn't determine how good he's actually been. He gets penalized for the M's bad offense

For Cy Youngs I'd go Josh Johnson and Cliff Lee.

Devilsrule - from a sabermetric standpoint, for the NL, it would be Johnson, Halladay, and Jimenez - in that order, in terms of WAR.

It is worth mentioning though that Francisco Liriano leads all of baseball with a 2.19 FIP, so he'd absolutely have to be in the discussion too if sabermetrics were more thought of instead of W-L records/ERA.

I normally just follow the Yankees but thought it be cool to go over to fangraphs and check it all out, and I gotta agree with what you said...

The NL Cy Young is a fairly close call in-between Johnson and Halladay. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

Josh Johnson...

5.6 WAR

9.06 K/9

2.09 BB/9

4.33 K/BB

.29 HR/9

.217 AVG

1.01 WHIP

81.2% LOB%

1.97 ERA

2.28 FIP

Roy Halladay...

5.5 WAR

7.99 K/9

1.06 BB/9

7.52 K/BB

.71 HR/9

.242 AVG

1.02 WHIP

82.3% LOB%

2.17 ERA

2.79 FIP

For AL Cy Young I go with Lee and I think he will end up on top. Though you have to give credit to Liriano for quite a bounce back year.

Cliff Lee...

5.6 WAR

7.32 K/9

.52 BB/9

14 K/BB

.52 HR/9

.233 AVG

.92 WHIP

73.6% LOB%

2.44 ERA

2.43 FIP

Francisco Liriano...

5.5 WAR

9.98 K/9

2.82 BB/9

3.55 K/BB

.13 HR/9

.248 AVG

1.24 WHIP

72.4% LOB%

3.33 ERA

2.14 FIP

That .52 BB/9 from Lee is just ridiculous.

It really is. The thing is you think he'd be hurt by it in some respects like Halladay usually is by throwing everything around the strike zone, but he isn't at all.

His 14:1 SO/BB is stupid.

here's the ESPN Cy Young predictor from a formula made by Neyer and Bill James. idk how Lee isn't even there so take it for what it's worth. Sabathia and Wainwright as winners

http://espn.go.com/mlb/features/cyyoung

This makes sense based on (wins x 6) - (losses x 2) so a guy like Jimenez with a gigantic win-loss differential and lots of wins will be high up and same with Wainwright. This explains why Johnson is so low and Cliff Lee is not even on it.

This is actually a pretty good predictor of how the writers will vote.

Edited by devilsrule33

I just watched the highlight reel of Morrow's game... wow. I know its highlights, but his stuff looked filthy, especially that tight, hard upper-80 mph slider. I think he'll always have control issues, but if he can keep the strikeout rate up and the homeruns down, he should be fine. Brandon League is a decent reliever and all, but I extremely doubt the Jays will ever regret making that swap.

Edited by nmigliore

I just watched the highlight reel of Morrow's game... wow. I know its highlights, but his stuff looked filthy, especially that tight, hard upper-80 mph slider. I think he'll always have control issues, but if he can keep the strikeout rate up and the homeruns down, he should be fine. Brandon League is a decent reliever and all, but I extremely doubt the Jays will ever regret making that swap.

everyone knew he always had ridiculous stuff, it was just a matter of putting it together. But looking back, Seattle really made some boneheaded moves that seemed alright at the time. Hindsight is 20-20 though. Everyone would've made the Cliff Lee deal (especially when they gave up nothing for him) but the others aren't looking so hot right now

Next year they should probably invest in some offense b/c their lineup is all time awful though they don't get no hit every night like the rays

Edited by DH26

everyone knew he always had ridiculous stuff, it was just a matter of putting it together. But looking back, Seattle really made some boneheaded moves that seemed alright at the time. Hindsight is 20-20 though. Everyone would've made the Cliff Lee deal (especially when they gave up nothing for him) but the others aren't looking so hot right now

Next year they should probably invest in some offense b/c their lineup is all time awful though they don't get no hit every night like the rays

why was justin smoak sent to the minors?

why was justin smoak sent to the minors?

probably because he was below the Mendoza line and he was exactly tearing up the minors this year anyway. Smoak's built more on what he did in the lower levels. personally, i would've taken Montero but to each their own but this ain't lookin' good either.

You'd figure Smoak at least does have some power to add to the team that's last in average, runs, home runs, hits and god knows what else but who knows? I think at one time (idk if it still holds now) Brett Gardner (!) had a higher slugging than anyone in their lineup

Edited by DH26

Smoak was a good return for Lee but yeah I'd rather have Montero.

By the way, speaking of the Mariners, they were my preseason pick to win that division... :doh1:

so did a lot of other people. I thought it would be Anaheim again :noclue:

Chipper's out for the year with a torn ACL, which means his career is likely done since in all likelihood 2010 was going to be his final year. This sucks, I was hoping Chipper would go out lifting the World Series trophy over his head, not like this :(

eh Braves weren't winning the World Series anyway with that team barring an 06 Cards like run. This probably means the Phils are winning that division if they weren't already

• 2 weeks later...

Not that the sample size is all that much (both players only have about 130 PA with their new teams), but, since the Escobar/Gonzalez swap:

Alex Gonzalez: .261/.328/.429, .325 wOBA, +0.6 fWAR

Yunel Escobar: .308/.357/.427, .344 wOBA, +1.1 fWAR

When the trade was made last month I said this:

The problem is, Escobar is probably a better bet to outperform Gonzalez in the 2nd half. I'd be stunned if Gonzalez keeps up his crazy power surge, and I'd be equally stunned if Escobar keeps up his power outage.

Escobar outperforming Gonzalez so far? Check. Gonzalez hitting for less power (.238 ISO with Jays, .168 ISO with Braves)? Check. Escobar hitting for more power (.069 ISO with Braves, .120 ISO with Jays)? Check.

I'm not trying to boast or anything as I'm sure a lot of other people probably saw that coming too. And who knows, to cut Atlanta some slack, Escobar is probably 1 of those players that really did need a change of scenery. I still would have looked for a better return though....

Edited by nmigliore

Not that the sample size is all that much (both players only have about 130 PA with their new teams), but, since the Escobar/Gonzalez swap:

I'm not trying to boast or anything as I'm sure a lot of other people probably saw that coming too. And who knows, to cut Atlanta some slack, Escobar is probably 1 of those players that really did need a change of scenery. I still would have looked for a better return though....

Atlanta needed to get some kind of SS back for him and that was probably one of the only teams that would do it. They could've traded him to Boston for Lowrie or something but there probably weren't many good options out there just to get rid of Escobar

Jose Bautista has 40 homeruns.... and there are still 6 weeks of regular season baseball left.

What is the world coming too?

watch him hit like 12 next year and start hitting like Jose Bautista again

Edited by DH26

I don't know, but I am enjoying every minute of it in what has been a very surprisingly fun Jays season.

Brandon Morrow really seems like he's fun to watch. Tex said he's pitching different every time out with great stuff. Sounds like Joba when you know he was good as a starter in 2008. How they got him for nothing is still mind boggling