CLARKSON SIGNS w/TORONTO $36.75M / 7yrs

CaptainRafalski

I'm completely indifferent to Clarkson. Clowe seems like a wash or even a small upgrade.

This is a Gomez type of deal.. There's no way he can live up to this contract, he just isn't this good. Like I said in a previous thread, we'll get him back at a discount in 2-3 years. :D

ghdi, he's pre-approved by Don Cherry and the 'mittenstringers' as they're called.  He will be given a pass for sure by a large section of the fanbase.

I don't think there's a lot of pressure in Toronto, I think it's like the Chicago Cubs, the fans have endured so much awfulness that if you just do okay but try really hard they will love you.

ghdi, he's pre-approved by Don Cherry and the 'mittenstringers' as they're called.  He will be given a pass for sure by a large section of the fanbase.

I don't think there's a lot of pressure in Toronto, I think it's like the Chicago Cubs, the fans have endured so much awfulness that if you just do okay but try really hard they will love you.

Thats not very true. I know a lot of Leafs fans and being Canadian i can tell you that there's still a lot of pressure in Toronto

Thats not very true. I know a lot of Leafs fans and being Canadian i can tell you that there's still a lot of pressure in Toronto

One particular moment in my mind is when the media were asking the players one by one why they failed this season, in the most humiliating way possible, very persistently and demanding an answer.

Clarkson will be a hero, he'll be visiting with Don Cherry after games, and the Leafs will be bad, and it won't matter.

I mean yeah there's more pressure in Toronto than a lot of other places, but I'll never forget when Wendel Clark got a standing ovation for hitting the post with a shot - that's how I think Toronto fans feel about their team.

Clarkson will be a hero, he'll be visiting with Don Cherry after games, and the Leafs will be bad, and it won't matter.

I mean yeah there's more pressure in Toronto than a lot of other places, but I'll never forget when Wendel Clark got a standing ovation for hitting the post with a shot - that's how I think Toronto fans feel about their team.

This may be true for the first season. Once they realize they didn't get a 30 goal per year power forward and instead got a 15 goal a year guy who can't skate or use his teammates, it won't be pretty. 

Think of his last 30-something games this season. That won't fly when the honeymoon is over.

Clarkson is NOT Wendel Clark...if the Leaf faithful think that's what they've got in Clarkson, they're going to be sorely disappointed.  The only thing Clarkson has on Clark is a better ability to stay healthy.  Clark missed a lot of games, but when he did play, he was a hell of a player...there's a reason he went #1 overall in his draft class.  For Clarkson's sake, I hope the fans will let him be David Clarkson.   

And one other thing about Wendel Clark...was it me or did that poor guy seem to be 35 years old from the age of 23 on?  Seemed like that guy was never young!

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Anyone think it kind of speaks volumes to our player development/scouting programs that two years in a row we had the number one free agent, and two years in a row we willingly let them walk? In a good way I mean, I don't think there's a team in the NHL that identifies talent better than Lou and Conte

• Like 2

Pretty sure almost everyone on this board feels the same way. Good Devil, but just got overpaid

A lot more positive things coming in after I wrote that. But wasn't so nice in the pages before. Happy the tone is different than with past players leaving. 

And one other thing about Wendel Clark...was it me or did that poor guy seem to be 35 years old from the age of 23 on?  Seemed like that guy was never young!

Wow, this is so true. Wendel Clark retired at 33, just a few years older than David is now. I can't remember ever watching Wendel and thinking he was younger than 35-36. I'm blown away. 

Edited by devilsrule33

I have been scouring the Leafs boards the last couple days and as far as I can see, no one expects Clarkson to score 30 goals or even 25. One may argue that board members are more esoterically minded than most fans but nonetheless they do represent a good-sized sample of Maple Leaf fandom. They are an educated (if primitive :P ) fanbase - most of the Leaf fans are extremely discontented with this signing. They are cursing and yelling and are generally upset that David Clarkson got as much money as Lupul. Those who are in favor of Clarkson (I'd say %20-%30) are arguing what you'd expect, that Clarkson bring more to his game than goals, that he is a rare type of player who will do anything for the team and brings a strong presence to the ice.

Now with that said, I certainly don't think it's going to be a shock to anyone when Clarkson scores 15 goals and he will be given a pass in the statistical categories. I think he will be given some leeway for awhile because of his personality and like-ability but as soon as the Maple Leafs suck it will be hell for Clarkson. With certainty I would say that when (if) Toronto is 15 points out of the playoffs the fans will not forget that he has a giant contract. I think his hometown status will give him a pass for about 3 games and then the cutesy, sentimental crap will dissolve. And if Toronto sucks AND Kessel leaves, Clarkie won't be able to find a hole big enough to hide in, whether he scores 3 or 30 goals.

If Toronto wins then all will be golden. That's the crux of it - it's all about scapegoating - it's not about the fans not knowing what kind of player Clarkson is or whether he actually plays well or not. Sometimes we forget that we Devils fans don't know everything that others don't- Toronto fans know they overpaid and they will rain down hell if the team tanks. 

Clarkson tried to make up with effort with what he lacked in talent. This led to his faults as well as his attractiveness. All those offsides on breakaways, missed passes to open teammate s, he tried hard to make up with the predictable wraparound shots. I'll miss him, a bit.

Clarkson tried to make up with effort with what he lacked in talent. This led to his faults as well as his attractiveness. All those offsides on breakaways, missed passes to open teammate s, he tried hard to make up with the predictable wraparound shots. I'll miss him, a bit.

I like this. I hope they just love him for being him. I'd actually really respect the leads more if they kind of embraced the hockey of it all. It's not for me, but I sure can appreciate the thought.

Bad contract, but I wish Clarkie the best. He did a lot of great things for us over the years. Hopefully he doesn't fvck up too badly in Toronto.

Wow, this is so true. Wendel Clark retired at 33, just a few years older than David is now. I can't remember ever watching Wendel and thinking he was younger than 35-36. I'm blown away. 

Part of it was that he always had a mustache, and lost a good bit of his hair pretty early...he usually had some stubble going along with the 'stache, so that all helped to make him look a good bit older than he really was.  But his game was just so physical...every night, or so it seemed, his body was either taking or dishing out a serious pounding...and he was always battling injuries...I think all of that just combined to age him faster.  He played a game that was bigger than his body was too...he was only 5' 11" and 200 lbs, but didn't back down from anyone.  By the time he reached his late 20s, you felt like you were watching a guy who was in his late 30s and who'd been playing in the NHL for 15 years.  His game really took a toll on his body...I wonder how he feels now.   

Check out this clip...it's one of Clark's best-known moments...hard to believe that Clark was only 26 years old when you see him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TacPPXaNI9A

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976