Paging Manta!

ThreeCups

C'mon Manta, come back, seriously. You're still a Devils fan at the end of the day. That's all that matters.

• Like 1

Maybe he's happy and doesn't need to rant.

Don't get me wrong -- YOU ALL can rant about his not posting. But we can also choose to take his silence as continued affirmation things are on the right track.

I think, were I Manta, I'd keep quiet until the team made it past the first round... maybe even second -- in fact I think I'd keep mum until the playoffs were through. I'd be far more joyful eating crow at a Cup celebration than right before a first round ousting.

If you all force him out and the Devils lose -- it's all on you guys! You ruined the juju forcing a guy to admit defeat before he even had been!!

Maybe he's happy and doesn't need to rant.

Don't get me wrong -- YOU ALL can rant about his not posting. But we can also choose to take his silence as continued affirmation things are on the right track.

I think, were I Manta, I'd keep quiet until the team made it past the first round... maybe even second -- in fact I think I'd keep mum until the playoffs were through. I'd be far more joyful eating crow at a Cup celebration than right before a first round ousting.

If you all force him out and the Devils lose -- it's all on you guys! You ruined the juju forcing a guy to admit defeat before he even had been!!

Except you know he'll come back if we do flame out in the first round and Zach walks as a FA.

That's his prerogative. He put his money on Devils checking out first round at best and Zach leaving the team as a UFA.

True, he also embellished with loads of unsubstantiated negativity and darkest/least productive interpretation not based even remotely upon reality. :noclue:

I think it's the most obvious conclusion - one and done and Zach walking - but for COMPLETELY different reasons, which I feel are far closer to reality than manta's "all because of Kovalchuk" reasoning. AND I can hope for better outcomes - I can see the very real possibility of far better outcomes in fact.

Manta's posts serve to get the collective goat -- and since he's just one guy, very little satisfaction is to be had should he say "I was completely wrong" He never will. Even if he acknowledges his predicted outcome was mistaken it will be due to coincidence, outside failure, or someone's EXTREME moral superiority, instead of careful and balanced planning on the part of the organization.

Edited by Pepperkorn

In defense of Manta:

PK is right in that, while many of us wondered aloud whether signing Kovy was the right move, Manta did go overboard with the negativity.

Having said that, just like Year 1 of Kovy's contract didn't make the deal a complete disaster, Year 2 doesn't make it an overwhelming success either. We won't know for several years whether or not signing him for 15 years was the right move, and as we're seeing, other factors that have nothing to do with Kovy (such as the franchise's messy finances) could have a much more profound effect on the on-ice product that Kovy ever could, sadly enough.

It would be nice to see Kovy have a solid impact in the playoffs, even if the team doesn't do much as a whole.

• Like 1

In defense of Manta:

PK is right in that, while many of us wondered aloud whether signing Kovy was the right move, Manta did go overboard with the negativity.

Having said that, just like Year 1 of Kovy's contract didn't make the deal a complete disaster, Year 2 doesn't make it an overwhelming success either. We won't know for several years whether or not signing him for 15 years was the right move, and as we're seeing, other factors that have nothing to do with Kovy (such as the franchise's messy finances) could have a much more profound effect on the on-ice product that Kovy ever could, sadly enough.

It would be nice to see Kovy have a solid impact in the playoffs, even if the team doesn't do much as a whole.

I don't think it's a good deal either, but the idea that it would ruin the franchise for years to come was of course, preposterous. The notion that there are players who 'can't win', especially very good players like Kovalchuk, just isn't true.

I don't think it's a good deal either, but the idea that it would ruin the franchise for years to come was of course, preposterous. The notion that there are players who 'can't win', especially very good players like Kovalchuk, just isn't true.

I didn't think he could or would alter his game to fit in with the Devils, but for the most part, he has. I'll happily dine on crow for that one.

To make a terrible analogy, the Alexei Yashin deal was a horrendous trade, one of the worst of all-time; he was then signed to one of the worst contracts of all time.

But the Islanders haven't made the playoffs without Yashin since 1994.

Edited by Triumph

I didn't think he could or would alter his game to fit in with the Devils, but for the most part, he has. I'll happily dine on crow for that one.

Now I had total faith that he would do his very best to learn and play Devils hockey. He clearly understood something had to be done and was willing to put his complete trust in the Devils. You can't fake that. It was obvious to me that he had a CLEAR hockey objective should the Devils win the bidding war.

He had no objective or path with LA but the money can really easily outweigh a sense of purpose, so I understood why the Devils felt they had to do what they did. And I thought it was a stupid plan :evil: Then again I'm the kind that would never shell out one red cent for a Stevens signing and I adore him above all stars of sport, screen and stage.

Edited by Pepperkorn

To make a terrible analogy, the Alexei Yashin deal was a horrendous trade, one of the worst of all-time; he was then signed to one of the worst contracts of all time.

But the Islanders haven't made the playoffs without Yashin since 1994.

Yeah -- this analogy is begging for a strawman debate :evil: Thank goodness Manta isn't here to pull us off topic.

I miss his Odin be Praised days - that Manta was awesome. :saddevil:

please please please can we not turn this into a "Kovy Contract debate" thread?

As far as Manta goes, no one here should be saying anything. FIrst off, so many posters here were down on this team AND said horrible things about Kovy. As someone who fiercely debated Manta many times, I have to say: at least rather than stay safe like others, he boldly stated what he thought. It is NOT fair to say he was negative - the team just wasn't doing what he believed was right and he was giving his honest prediction on what would happen.