Devils' Kovalchuk will test market

overtime98

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you're a complete idiot (which Kovalchuk is not, and even if he were, his agent is not), you know that the New York referred to in New York Islanders is not the New York referred to in New York Rangers. No one's getting conned into going there because they see the glitz and glamor associated with NYC.

It's not glitz/glamor so much as a place where hockey isn't a complete backwater, like Atlanta. And if someone can convince him that the Islanders will be a good team, the media attention, to the extent that's important, will be there.

i know you won't be relieved of this absurd notion, and that it's impossible to prove a negative, but: the islanders will not sign ilya kovalchuk. yes, the islanders have NY attached to the name, but what about when they have KC or LV or WPG attached to the name?

My assumption of course is that an Islanders move is a remote possibility, which, for all of the talk, I think it is.

It's not glitz/glamor so much as a place where hockey isn't a complete backwater, like Atlanta. And if someone can convince him that the Islanders will be a good team, the media attention, to the extent that's important, will be there.

There is absolutely no chance in hell that Kovalchuk will sign on to playing 41 games a year at Nassau Coliseum for as long as it takes for the Lighthouse to get resolved. And honestly, with the Rangers being the franchise that they are and the Devils always being competitive, the Islanders hockey sort of is "complete backwater."

Avalanche now rumored to want Kovalchuk... lots of cap space, would fit perfect.

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_15236384

Kovalchuk, an immensely talented Russian winger, is expected to be out there on free-agent day, and the Avs have salary cap room the size of Montana.

Let's hope the Avs have really thought this through, because they probably won't have this kind of salary cap room for a while — about $25 million right now, with only a few players of their own left to sign. And there probably won't be a player of Kovalchuk's talent on the open market again anytime soon.

The Avs believe their young players and incoming prospects are good enough to build around and will keep getting better.

They might be right, but couldn't Kovalchuk — still only 27 — be a nice building block too? And, let's face it, it wouldn't hurt to build more season-ticket buzz with a big-name signing — although the Avs are experiencing a strong summer with season-ticket sales right now.

I think the Avs will be making a mistake if they don't try to get him. I'm down with the whole build-from-within thing and can appreciate the risks involved in giving him a huge contract. But I don't care, I wouldn't be able to contain myself if he was on the open market and I had the dough to get him.

This is a fun thread! I don't know why I enjoy reading it :evil:

To me, it is a fun read because people still think Kovy will sign here. I still give it a less than 5% chance of that happening. Not a big deal if he doesn't, just gives us more money to fix other problems like a center and that huge friggin vortex known as our defense.

We have to be careful with singing a center - considering we have two ready to come up with in a year or two that aren't going to play below the 3rd line center position. Best case scenrario is Zajac, Henrique then Josefson. That's going to be quite the adjustment, so I wonder how LL plans to handle that. I still think a guy like Belanger would be a good stopgap and a good center to have in general.

We have to be careful with singing a center - considering we have two ready to come up with in a year or two that aren't going to play below the 3rd line center position. Best case scenrario is Zajac, Henrique then Josefson. That's going to be quite the adjustment, so I wonder how LL plans to handle that. I still think a guy like Belanger would be a good stopgap and a good center to have in general.

I can see Zajac on the ZZ Pops line, and Josefson on the 3rd line. I just do not see Henrique making the team next year, but he def has a shot the year after. Therefore, we just need a 2nd line center and then we can round it out with Pelley on the 4th line.

I can see Zajac on the ZZ Pops line, and Josefson on the 3rd line. I just do not see Henrique making the team next year, but he def has a shot the year after. Therefore, we just need a 2nd line center and then we can round it out with Pelley on the 4th line.

"just" a second line center??

This team's needed one for how long???

And I'm going to be sick to my stomach if Langen-ginna is still on this team come opening night :P

And I'm going to be sick to my stomach if Langen-ginna is still on this team come opening night :P

I heard Langenbrunner was rumored to player/coach the Devils next season. :P lol

lol yeah you are right, we have needed one forever now. But if we do not sign Kovy, we now have some extra FU money to maybe sway someone over to the Devils. That is, if they want to play for us.

I heard Langenbrunner was rumored to player/coach the Devils next season. :P lol

Well the next time you speak to the big cry baby himself tell him to STFU until his balls drop again and he remembers where they are!!!

I'm not sure we need a bonafide number two center. I'm worried about the third center position. I'd rather have Belanger who can play third line center or moved up to the second line center when needed in tight spots, and see what the kids can do for the 2nd line center position.