Devils sign prospect Reid Boucher

SterioDesign

So maybe in a couple of years (2015) our line up might look like this?

Kovy-Loktionov-Boucher

Elias-Henrique-Clarkson

Matteau-Zajac-Zubs

Carter-Josefson-Bernier

Greene-Larsson

Merrill-Fayne

Slavodor-Volchenkov

Gelinas-Urbom

Scarlett-Burlon

Kinkaid

Wedgewood

Clermont

That's assuming we re-sign Clarkson, Elias, Bernier, and Zubs. Moves need to be made on defense either via trade or amnesty buyouts. Sal, Volch, and Green are all signed through 2015. Volch til 2017. Really only one more roster spot opens up on defense by 2015 plus an extra for injuries. Hopefully these kids stay patient. Or we can try to move some of the young defenders for scoring depth. Who knows how effective Zubs will be when he gets back, none the less 2 years from now. 

Edited by Jerzey Devil

So maybe in a couple of years (2015) our line up might look like this?

Kovy-Loktionov-Boucher

Elias-Henrique-Clarkson

Matteau-Zajac-Zubs

Carter-Josefson-Bernier

Greene-Larsson

Merrill-Fayne

Slavodor-Volchenkov

Gelinas-Urbom

Scarlett-Burlon

Kinkaid

Wedgewood

Clermont

That's assuming we re-sign Clarkson, Elias, Bernier, and Zubs. Moves need to be made on defense either via trade or amnesty buyouts. Sal, Volch, and Green are all signed through 2015. Volch til 2017. Really only one more roster spot opens up on defense by 2015 plus an extra for injuries. Hopefully these kids stay patient. Or we can try to move some of the young defenders for scoring depth. Who knows how effective Zubs will be when he gets back, none the less 2 years from now. 

Signed Boucher today, tomorrow he's our top RW, lol. C'mon man. It's nice to dream and what not, but you're making a lot of leaps and basically assuming Merrill is going to hit the AHL next year, dominate and jump over Urbom and Gelinas on the depth chart. Lets not talk the future, lets just enjoy the now. Planning too much is how you ruin a good relationship. lol.

Also, I cannot imagine Sal and Volch are both still here in 2015. No way that happens with the young guys we have on D in the AHL.

Edited by ATLL765

Signed Boucher today, tomorrow he's our top RW, lol. C'mon man. It's nice to dream and what not, but you're making a lot of leaps and basically assuming Merrill is going to hit the AHL next year, dominate and jump over Urbom and Gelinas on the depth chart. Lets not talk the future, lets just enjoy the now. Planning too much is how you ruin a good relationship. lol.

Also, I cannot imagine Sal and Volch are both still here in 2015. No way that happens with the young guys we have on D in the AHL.

There's no reason to think Boucher won't be on the top line by 2015. That's 2 years from now and who else do we really have unless they keep Kovy on the right?

Fair point about Merrill though. He'll probably play his last year at Michigan and play at least one year or part of it in Albany. Still a huge logjam on defense. I think Lou seriously considers buying out Volch with one of his amnesty buyouts. If he agrees to waive his NTC that would be great. Still think another move has to be made on defense though.

I also see nothing wrong with discussing the future. Hell this thread is about signing someone for our future. I guess it's more of an off season topic but nothing wrong with speculating.

There's no reason to think Boucher won't be on the top line by 2015. That's 2 years from now and who else do we really have unless they keep Kovy on the right?

Fair point about Merrill though. He'll probably play his last year at Michigan and play at least one year or part of it in Albany. Still a huge logjam on defense. I think Lou seriously considers buying out Volch with one of his amnesty buyouts. If he agrees to waive his NTC that would be great. Still think another move has to be made on defense though.

I also see nothing wrong with discussing the future. Hell this thread is about signing someone for our future. I guess it's more of an off season topic but nothing wrong with speculating.

I know you're just speculating and that's all fine and good, but to speculate that Boucher only needs 2 years to make it as a 1st line winger is wild speculation at best. I'd be happy if he was getting 12 mins a game, 4 of which on the PP, in two years.

I know you're just speculating and that's all fine and good, but to speculate that Boucher only needs 2 years to make it as a 1st line winger is wild speculation at best. I'd be happy if he was getting 12 mins a game, 4 of which on the PP, in two years.

I guess it has more to do with our lack of RW depth than anything else. Someone with the potential to score some goals should be with Kovy on the top line.

Boucher has massive bust potential..especially with NJ. If he is weak along the boards and poor defensively I doubt he fits on the wing for deboer.

Could he not fill a role like Sykora did last year?  I know Sykora ultimately got benched during the playoffs, but the guy served a useful role up till then.

Signed Boucher today, tomorrow he's our top RW, lol. C'mon man.

I agree with this, but lets not forget Napalm two years ago playing 1R, henrique last year playing 1C, and now loktinov playing 1C, even Larsson playing 1/2D. It happens.

Edit, Napalm sucked and he flourished in that role.

Edited by Vic Rattlehead18

well we've seen Palmieri on our top line who was absolute trash and we've seen Butler who couldnt keep a role in Ottawa and cleared waivers a few time on our first line too and we saw a guy stuck in the minor traded for a 5th round pick centering our top line, Lokti is 23 and has never put up numbers like Boucher and Boucher will be around his age in 2 years...

basically you never know, not saying it could  happen or it could not, but we'll see. Its not very hard to get a top role on the RW in NJ if you put back kovy on the LW we have absolutely no depth on the RW

well we've seen Palmieri on our top line who was absolute trash and we've seen Butler who couldnt keep a role in Ottawa and cleared waivers a few time on our first line too and we saw a guy stuck in the minor traded for a 5th round pick centering our top line, Lokti is 23 and has never put up numbers like Boucher and Boucher will be around his age in 2 years...

basically you never know, not saying it could  happen or it could not, but we'll see. Its not very hard to get a top role on the RW in NJ if you put back kovy on the LW we have absolutely no depth on the RW

This is all true, I'm just saying, those guys, didn't look good here either. NaPalm did for a minute, but the whole team looked great then. I'm saying that it's unlikely he becomes top RW in 2 years. Even he is top RW in 2015, we know he wouldn't be that on a team with a real RW. It's also very likely he becomes a LW when he turns pro.

I know it won't happen, and I'm guilty of it too, but I'd like for the convention to not be that whatever line Kovalchuk is on to be called the top line.  

That said, Boucher has one great junior season and one sub-par one - let's let him get a pro season before we start tossing around James Neal comparisons.  It's almost impossible that he didn't get a significant dose of luck in addition to being real good - let's see what happens when the luck runs out.

I know it won't happen, and I'm guilty of it too, but I'd like for the convention to not be that whatever line Kovalchuk is on to be called the top line.

Well when a player logs between 25 and 30 minutes of ice time a night for the foreseeable future, it's pretty reasonable to say his is the top line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well when a player logs between 25 and 30 minutes of ice time a night for the foreseeable future, it's pretty reasonable to say his is the top line. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

And how about all that ice time that Loktionov and Ponikarovsky are playing?  They're up there at the 25 or 30 minute mark, right?

That said, Boucher has one great junior season and one sub-par one - let's let him get a pro season before we start tossing around James Neal comparisons.  It's almost impossible that he didn't get a significant dose of luck in addition to being real good - let's see what happens when the luck runs out.

at least he kept it up after Galchenyuk left but to score 60-something goals probably requires some luck. The last guy to put up 60 in the OHL was Brett MacLean I think who I'm not even sure is still playing hockey after his injury scare and he never permanently made Phoenix's roster anyway

Edited by DH26