Flyers sign Weber to offer sheet

ghdi

Breaking: Shea Weber agrees to offer sheet with Philadelphia. 14 years, upwards of $100 mil. Preds have 7 days to match. Wow!!

— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger)

July 19, 2012

Huge. Biggest move this offseason IMO.

I really hope Nashville matches, but at the same time the Flyers losing 4 first round picks is okay, but Id hate to face this guy all year.

@DarrenDreger

I may have made an error on compensatory picks. Depending on aav, it could be 2 firsts, 2nd and a 3rd round pick if Preds don't match.

Edited by ghdi

Wow, Nashville's defense might be devastated. I hope he stays, would be a needed replacement for pronger, assuming hes done.

Nashville will match this offer based on everything Poile has been saying. This was a risky play by Weber if he wanted out of Nashville. I don't even think the Flyers inflated Weber's value with this contract like Lowe did with Vanek and Penner years back.

This only turns sour for Nashville if Weber badly wants out.

Wow, Nashville's defense might be devastated. I hope he stays, it would be a needed replacement for pronger, assuming hes done, and make the flyers better

Nashville's got some depth on D, but there's no replacing Suter, and Weber is an even bigger loss.

Maybe we can poach Rinne from em in a year or two when they're completely in the toilet lol

As someone brought up on twitter, only way Nashville can't match is if this deal is insanely front loaded in the first few years. Otherwise, this is a no brainer.

True. I'm surprised Weber went this route, especially if he wants out of Nashville. They have money to spend now that Suter walked and, unless there is some sort of a poison pill in the contract (huge signing bonus/up front payments), there is nothing to stop them from locking him up long term. In essence, Weber signed away his ability to control his own fate next season.

As someone brought up on twitter, only way Nashville can't match is if this deal is insanely front loaded in the first few years. Otherwise, this is a no brainer.

I don't know about this. Dreger said that the Preds have been working on trade offers for him recently. They're at least going to get compensation here. If Weber wants out which he seemingly does now, I don't think Nashville matches.

I'd say its at best 50/50 they match.

I don't know about this. Dreger said that the Preds have been working on trade offers for him recently. They're at least going to get compensation here. If Weber wants out which he seemingly does now, I don't think Nashville matches.

I'd say its at best 50/50 they match.

I don't see much value with four 1st round draft picks that will be somewhere around 25-30 each year. They could match him and get a lot more value than that, probably from the Flyers themselves.

Edited by devilsrule33

Weber doesn't have the stones(like Scotty Stevens) to lead his team to success so he wants to be a passenger on another team. He probably also wants a bit more glitz and glamour.

Weber is one of, if not the, only defenseman in the game right now worth doing this for. Can't downplay Weber here. He is that good.

Stevens didn't want to be here at first. It took him a while to become the player he did here.

I don't see much value with four 1st round draft picks that will probably somewhere around 25-30 each year. They could sign him and get a lot more value than that, probably from the Flyers themselves.

They can't move him for a year if they match. If Weber is intent on leaving, it wont be good to do that. I think it would be smart to match it just based on that, but I really can't see them doing that unless he's just trying to force Nashville into the long term contract.

Wow this would suck for us. I am not a fan of these long expensive contracts either. I feel like NSH would rather take the picks.

I hate these long contracts as well, but I had actually predicted a few months back that we would see these sort of deals taper off as they were financially too dangerous. Ooopsie. I guess I can shelve those "I am Nostradamus" business cards I ordered. Then again, I probably could've predicted that I'd be wrong.....

More Dreger

@DarrenDreger

Its going to be fascinating to see financial terms of Weber's offer sheet. Hearing in one calendar year, he could make $26 mil.

Hmmm screams cap circumvention just based on that quote, but probably means the signing bonus or something. This will be really interesting to see how it plays out.

Weber is definitely an elite defenseman, but his addition isn't going to bolt Philly to the forefront of the Eastern Conference. They've still got goalie issues and a not so stellar d corps.

What's with all the bonuses?

It's complete BS!

Pull the plug and turn off the lights and say no to this nonsense.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

I'm trying to go back to bed. More info coming in. Philly, NYR, Detroit and San Jose were big players in Weber trade scenarios.

If it was NY that offered this I would have really lost it. But this? This is just as bad.

Edited by TheMazz

Uhhh what the fvck!!!!

Do we know anything else regarding nashvilles stance??

Not the fvcking jerk flyers!

Dreger said that the Preds have been working on trading him recently and the Flyers got tired of waiting. If they were willing to trade him, they may not match IMO. The flipside I think is that they could match and then move him in a year, but if its contentious, I dunno.