Flyers sign Weber to offer sheet

ghdi

If they match Weber's contract, I'll take any bets that Nashville will have more points than NJ next year.

What do you want to wager there? Cause that aint happenin. koolaid.gif

Someone said it earlier....many people have said the Devils are fine without Parise, but the Predators are done without Suter. Too funny. :doh1: Parise has a much bigger effect on a team than Suter.

Since the lockout, the Devils have put up 101, 107, 99, 106, 103, 81 and 102 points. They made the playoffs 6 of those 7 seasons.

Since the lockout, the Preds have put up 106, 110, 91, 88, 100, 99 and 104 points. They made the playoffs 6 of those 7 seasons.

If they match Weber's contract, I'll take any bets that Nashville will have more points than NJ next year.

In. Nashville was already horrible territorially last year. They were bailed out by their power play, luck, and Rinne. I wouldn't count on it continuing.

IMO its more valuable to lock up a strong d-man than a strong goalie...

From what it sounds like, they tried to re-sign Suter throughout the season but he made it clear he was testing the market. I think Poile made a huge mistake last year with Weber by lowballing the **** out of him during arbitration. I know you're trying to get the best outcome, but 4 mill for Shea is just insulting. Probably left a bad taste in his mouth. I guess not bad enough if he signed an offer sheet that could potentially have him play the rest of his career in Nashville....

wow... In the first 4 seasons, 13 million of the 14 million per season comes from signing bonuses

I read in an article that, if player salaries are rolled back again like they were coming out of the last lockout, bonus money is not subject to the roll-back and, therefore, this money is essentially "guaranteed" no matter what happens with the new CBA.

I wonder if Philly knows Shea Weber doesn't play goalie.

Bryz isn't as good as his contract, but he's an above average goalie and he plays better when he's got some confidence in his defense.

With thoughts like that, I can see why you jumped ship this off-season to the Sharks (just joking). I guess the Devils are rebuilding too with Parise gone? If the Preds match, how can you call losing Suter rebuilding? When did the Predators ever rebuild the first time, anyway?

Ouch I guess I asked for that.

I think Weber is worth more to the Predators than Parise to the Devils. That entire team is built around Weber, Suter and Rinne. If Rinne is truly an exceptional goaltender than they may be able to turn the ship around quickly, but look at their roster. Their best Dman right now is Hal Gill. Their forwards are OK to meh, and they are losing a lot of scoring talent in Kostitsyn and Radulov. Devils still have Kovy, Elias, Zajac and an exceptional Defense. Obviously neither roster is done, but if the Predators lose Weber, Suter, and Radulov I don't see how they can recover and make the playoffs next season based on what's available to them as FA, and their frugal ways.

Ouch I guess I asked for that.

I think Weber is worth more to the Predators than Parise to the Devils. That entire team is built around Weber, Suter and Rinne. If Rinne is truly an exceptional goaltender than they may be able to turn the ship around quickly, but look at their roster. Their best Dman right now is Hal Gill. Their forwards are OK to meh, and they are losing a lot of scoring talent in Kostitsyn and Radulov. Devils still have Kovy, Elias, Zajac and an exceptional Defense. Obviously neither roster is done, but if the Predators lose Weber, Suter, and Radulov I don't see how they can recover and make the playoffs next season based on what's available to them as FA, and their frugal ways.

I am talking about Suter leaving, not Weber too. My issue was the comments about Weber not wanting to be part of a rebuild so he went to the Flyers. If he stays with the Preds, it isn't a rebuild. So, I think his agent is really insulting the entire organization.

I am talking about Suter leaving, not Weber too. My issue was the comments about Weber not wanting to be part of a rebuild so he went to the Flyers. If he stays with the Preds, it isn't a rebuild. So, I think his agent is really insulting the entire organization.

And that's his goal, because it's clear Weber would prefer not to play there, and it's the agent's job to make that as obvious as possible.

And that's his goal, because it's clear Weber would prefer not to play there, and it's the agent's job to make that as obvious as possible.

How can you say that when he just set himself up to be a Pred for the rest of his career? I don't think he has much of a preference, the guy just wants to get paid before the new CBA

How can you say that when he just set himself up to be a Pred for the rest of his career? I don't think he has much of a preference, the guy just wants to get paid before the new CBA

Disagree - he obviously isn't totally against playing there, but he would clearly prefer Philadelphia - getting paid was the priority, but the contract is set up for Nashville to not match

In. Nashville was already horrible territorially last year. They were bailed out by their power play, luck, and Rinne. I wouldn't count on it continuing.

They were a good team last year based on the one stat that actually matters, wins/losses. And, what do you know, a lot of that followed from having two great players in Weber and Suter. "Bailed out by their power play"? That's about the equivalent of saying the Kings got "bailed out" by Kopitar in the playoffs. Guess what, power play goals count and help you win games. Same with the goalie.

"Luck" is just when a team performs better than the statistics predict.

ADDENDUM: If you want to truly measure "luck", you need to do a painstaking analysis of each significant event in every game. Most would be in agreement that Clarkson had a "lucky" year. We know that, not by looking at this stats, but actually watching him for the past four years, knowing what kind of player he is and what kind of skill set he has.

Edited by Daniel

They were a good team last year based on the one stat that actually matters, wins/losses. And, what do you know, a lot of that followed from having two great players in Weber and Suter. "Bailed out by their power play"? That's about the equivalent of saying the Kings got "bailed out" by Kopitar in the playoffs. Guess what, power play goals count and help you win games. Same with the goalie.

Goalies are largely unpredictable, their power play was in the bottom 3rd in shots for, and they were one of the worst teams in shots for. I go over this every year and every year people want to dispute it - it's almost impossible to beat Fenwick year after year. Eventually, the hockey gods catch up. Nashville will have to improve territorially - which may happen, but is pretty unlikely given that they lost Suter and they haven't really acquired anyone who can play in their top 6 forwards or top 4 defense. I like some of their young players, but unless they get some different players, they're going to be in hot water.

"Luck" is just when a team performs better than the statistics predict.

ADDENDUM: If you want to truly measure "luck", you need to do a painstaking analysis of each significant event in every game. Most would be in agreement that Clarkson had a "lucky" year. We know that, not by looking at this stats, but actually watching him for the past four years, knowing what kind of player he is and what kind of skill set he has.

That's totally ridiculous. Closer examination certainly helps, but determining whether a thing is 'lucky' or 'not lucky' or what element of luck it has in it isn't going to help anything. The key is devising a framework in which luck can be quantified without having to watch the games to see whether or not a thing is 'lucky'. That's why I prefer the word 'chance' - getting a breakaway usually appears like a skill play, but it often involves a breakdown by the other team - constantly getting breakaways is not generally sustainable.

Ah yeah the logic of the hypotheticals confused me. I think the Devils are better without Parise than the Preds without Suter (and Radulov) still. Devils are willing to pay more for players and have a strong Defense to trade players from if they have to. Obviously Weber in Nashville helps, but the Devils have many more assets than the Predators on their team, in terms of guys ready to play next year at a quality level. Weber is so good he might carry Nashville into the playoffs, it potentially depends on what happens re: realignment in the next CBA, I'd probably still bet on Nashville missing though. I certainly wouldn't expect them to contend for a title anytime soon, or win their division as currently designed. Under current divisions, Nashville is the 4th best team I'd say pretty clearly at this point (behind Det, STL, and Chicago). Maybe a term as loaded as "rebuilding" isn't appropriate for such a scenario, but that's basically what it is. The preds would be rebuilding around Weber and Rinne sort of like how the Canes have been rebuilding around Staal and Ward the last 3 years while pretending not to.

Regardless it seems like a lot of the people here want to believe the Predators aren't screwed because they feel they are kindred spirits with NJ, and don't want to believe NJ is screwed. NJ isn't screwed (at least according to their roster, owner's another story), although losing Parise hurts obviously. The Preds without Weber and Suter, and an ownership unwilling to spend money seem screwed to me though.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

also gotta hand it to holmgren. that guy has been putting his money where his mouth is since taking the reins in philly.

big stones on that guy.

yeah people here wont give him too much credit cause its the flyers and obviously he made some bad moves too... but when im seeing teams pulling moves like that im kind of jealous. He's very gutsy and creative.