NHL expansion: Bettman reportedly pushing to put team in Seattle

thefiestygoat

All of Canada would have a simultaneous aneurysm if Las Vegas was picked over a Canadian market. It'd be hilarious.

It would be less hilarious to lose out on profit sharing money for another crappy franchise.

Seattle and Quebec City please. Move Detroit or Columbus back West and put QC in either "atlantic" or "metro" division.

It would be less hilarious to lose out on profit sharing money for another crappy franchise.

Seattle and Quebec City please. Move Detroit or Columbus back West and put QC in either "atlantic" or "metro" division.

Bettman will never move Detroit back west. Ilitch is waaaay too powerful an owner and the Red Wings are way too powerful a franchise to ever have that happen- not after how long they waited and how much they bitched about moving east. I'd welcome Columbus going back though, we suck against them and they're getting better- just the kind of team I fvcking hate.

Bettman will never move Detroit back west. Ilitch is waaaay too powerful an owner and the Red Wings are way too powerful a franchise to ever have that happen- not after how long they waited and how much they bitched about moving east. I'd welcome Columbus going back though, we suck against them and they're getting better- just the kind of team I fvcking hate.

True. Detroit moving back seems like a long shot.

I feel like Seattle & Quebec City are the most likely choices, with Las Vegas and Kansas City being just behind. But if they do that, they're going to have to completely re-think the league's alignment. No way any eastern time zone teams move to the western conference.

Can't help but wonder if they'd look to a AL/NL, AFC/NFC type setup. I get that both of those have historical connotations, but the league is so east-heavy (and would be moreso if you add Quebec back into the mix) that it might be a choice to at least look at.

I don't know, something about Canadian expansion just doesn't seem likely to me. I think bettman will try anything he can to get a second US city, so I wouldn't put money on Quebec City. That being said it think the jets success so far might have opened some eyes in the e nhl offices.

I don't think las vegas will ever house a major sports franchise, so I'd rule them out.

Edited by dmann422

It would be financially safer to move a team to Seattle - you take a struggling $$$ team and move it to a lucrative market. However, as far as non-financial matters go, the NHL could really use an expansion team to add 20 roster spots to the league. There's more than enough NHL quality players to put together another team. I also don't feel comfortable with there being two more teams in the East than the West. I can deal with one because of the proximity advantage, but not two. Seattle is perfect but I can only hear these rumors for so many years....get it done already!

Is this a joke?

Edited by Neb00rs

Quebec and Seattle are the most logical choices, and certainly the two hockey-less markets that would be best suited for the NHL. Seeing as how they have stadium/ownership pretty much figured out on top of it, it seems pretty simple to me. Las Vegas, Kansas City, Houston, and Toronto would all be terrible. I think this league takes itself a little more seriously than that.

http://seati.ms/1crF9N7

More discussions, including expansion fee.

Question, are there set rules as to the draft pick an expansion team gets in its first year, or is it on a case by case basis?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the team is entered into a lottery no matter what. I'm not sure how they decide what chances the new team gets. 

Quebec and Seattle are the most logical choices, and certainly the two hockey-less markets that would be best suited for the NHL. Seeing as how they have stadium/ownership pretty much figured out on top of it, it seems pretty simple to me. Las Vegas, Kansas City, Houston, and Toronto would all be terrible. I think this league takes itself a little more seriously than that.

One of the teams absolutely should be in Toronto. It'd be like Yankees/Mets. Would it not be stupid to only have one baseball team in NY? Hockey's that in Toronto and no the Sens don't count

One of the teams absolutely should be in Toronto. It'd be like Yankees/Mets. Would it not be stupid to only have one baseball team in NY? Hockey's that in Toronto and no the Sens don't count

Unless I owned the Maple Leafs, then I need hundreds of millions of dollars to let you put a second Toronto team in.

Is there any good research that suggests a second Toronto team would draw at all? Yes, it's a huge hockey market, but it sounds eerily similar to the idea that you just put a team in Northern Jersey, and all of those people that used to be Ranger fans will now root for your team.

That is a terrible comparison. Baseball matured with three teams in New York, and also came up with the two league system. There was a reason to have multiple teams in a huge city in a time of lesser mobility. You're not building a new fanbase that would be excited to have a team come into town, that building is going to be filled with excess Leafs fans every night. Do you honestly think a considerable amount of Leafs fans are going to become die-hard fans of a second Toronto team? I'm sure a lot of people would support them as a second team, but I can almost assure no considerable amount of hockey fans in that city are going to dump their allegiance to the Leafs for some bastard money-grab expansion team. Can you imagine Leafs games in that building? When they play in Ottawa it's bad enough, and the Senators actually have a fanbase. Why would you deny a deserving city a team, and not attempt to grow the sport in a new market? It's absolutely absurd. It's not like there aren't other cities right now that would fill buildings 41 times a year. If it came down to places like Houston, KC, Las Vegas, fine, give Toronto another team, but they certainly should not be next in line. Seattle, Quebec, Hamilton, Milwaukee, then we'll talk about another Toronto team.

A second Toronto team could absolutely work.

Sure, they'd fill the building, but they're not going to create a real fanbase out of it. It would be an embarrassment.

Is there any good research that suggests a second Toronto team would draw at all? Yes, it's a huge hockey market, but it sounds eerily similar to the idea that you just put a team in Northern Jersey, and all of those people that used to be Ranger fans will now root for your team.

The difference there is that there would be no separate culture to draw people to a second Toronto team like we have in this situation.

If Quebec gets a team, they're taking Bernier in the expansion draft.

Edited by thecoffeecake

It's not about working or not working; it's about why would the current Toronto team allow it? How insane a fee would they have to charge to give their permission?

Yea this is the reason you won't be seeing another team in Toronto anytime soon.  In fact I'd be surprised if another Toronto team even gets mentioned.  No new owner would want to pay that kind of fee to the Leafs.