New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

Why would the NHL say no? They can't say yes to Hossa and no to that.

I don't think the drop from $6.5 million to $1.5 million in 2 years is allowed, but other than that it's what I'd expect his next contract to look like. It's no more egregious than the other retirement contracts that have been accepted. He does have a higher top salary than the other contracts, so the difference from high to low is greater, but it's still consistent with the salaries of players at that age. Nobody expects Kovalchuk to be superman when he's 40 years old, so he'd be paid like any of the other guys who last until they're 40.

The NHL "investigating" those other contracts could be an issue. They need to hurry up with those investigations, because the Devils need to know what is allowed.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't this contract just a way to have the NHL lowball #17 from the start? If it passed then great, but if not Lou knows the option for Kovy would be limited by the time this plays out, therefore driving down the cost in the end?

This maneuvering has also aided in creating indecision by teams interested in Kaberle, which I feel Lou is still maneuvering to get. I know it is crazy, but that man is genoius.

The NHL still can't reject it. They can accept it and then "investigate" it later.

Agreed, besides the fact that the League is now looking into the other contracts it's just window dressing.

It's just to prevent anyone else from thinking about doing this.

The NHL still can't reject it. They can accept it and then "investigate" it later.

not only does that contract violate rules laid out in the CBA, it is a very clear violation of what mr. bloch laid out earlier this week. such a contract would not only not pass muster with the league, it would not pass the smell test of an arbitrator, and would cost us ilya kovalchuk.

Wasn't this contract just a way to have the NHL lowball #17 from the start? If it passed then great, but if not Lou knows the option for Kovy would be limited by the time this plays out, therefore driving down the cost in the end?

This maneuvering has also aided in creating indecision by teams interested in Kaberle, which I feel Lou is still maneuvering to get. I know it is crazy, but that man is genoius.

what teams are interested in kaberle?

not only does that contract violate rules laid out in the CBA, it is a very clear violation of what mr. bloch laid out earlier this week. such a contract would not only not pass muster with the league, it would not pass the smell test of an arbitrator, and would cost us ilya kovalchuk.

How do you know that the NHL just wanted to see this contract fall in line with other contracts. How do you know it wouldn't pass an arbitrator, it's a completely different situation. You don't know that.

My, how moronic a build up.

Definitely a WTF moment. The guy builds up anticipation and talks about how excited he is to have signed with a team, but he can't announce which team until they make cap room for him. And then it ends up being the same team he's been playing with all along.

Definitely a WTF moment. The guy builds up anticipation and talks about how excited he is to have signed with a team, but he can't announce which team until they make cap room for him. And then it ends up being the same team he's been playing with all along.

attention-whore.jpg

it doesn't work that way. they're not going to review the deal for you beforehand. if you make some kind of small error, they may kick it back to you and tell you what to do (like in the Erat denial)... but in this case, you're not going to get to float 10 "goofy" contracts to them to see which work.

An article that came out yesterday or the day before said that the Canucks did just that with the Luongo deal. Apparently the NHL gave Vancouver the option of knocking 2 years off and probably avoiding an investigation in the process.

that's ridiculous. of course they can reject it.

the NHL's in a tenuous position here. I don't think, like max said, that the Devils are going to get to float 10 contracts until one works, but I do think they'll be in constant contact with the league. No one involved wants to go through this process again.

Isnt' it annoying how no one writes? They just lurk around - even people who can and will write at some point in the day -- but, I dont know -- they exercise self control and do other things and let everyone else do all the work.

bastards.

But but...lurking is so much easier than actually thinking out an intelligent response...

Isnt' it annoying how no one writes? They just lurk around - even people who can and will write at some point in the day -- but, I dont know -- they exercise self control and do other things and let everyone else do all the work.

bastards.

pepperkorn are you off your meds? :D

Edited by ice dog

the NHL's in a tenuous position here. I don't think, like max said, that the Devils are going to get to float 10 contracts until one works, but I do think they'll be in constant contact with the league. No one involved wants to go through this process again.

The devils being in constant contact with the league worries me though. I mean, obviously the contract eventually needs to get approved, but I feel like the league will nix anything with a cap hit lower than 7m. And a 7m cap sure is...inconvenient

Єklund (2.3% accurate) is like the woman from Southampton who predicted the Titanic would sink. Of course, she predicted that every ship that sailed from Southampton would sink ...

You know what they say, a broken watch is still right twice a day ;)

It's time to sh!t or get off the pot for Lou.

Only 1 month til camp opens. If you are going to sign Kovy, get it done. Because then you need to clear cap space and add a few small pieces.

If you can't sign him, go get a puck moving dman like Kaberle. You certainly have the pieces to do it.

CMON LOU