Scheider back-to-back

TomsRiverDevil

If that were true, Moose would be the backup and Marty would have started Saturday

Yeah, Lou took a bit of a risk sticking with Marty and Moose in '13, but with the way both performed in '11-'12, you could understand why he did it. 

We'll probably never know, but it'd be interesting to know if Lou trades for Schneider had Marty and Moose both played to about their overall '11-'12 levels in '13.  Would Lou have tried to squeeze one last year out of both?

Yeah, Lou took a bit of a risk sticking with Marty and Moose in '13, but with the way both performed in '11-'12, you could understand why he did it.

We'll probably never know, but it'd be interesting to know if Lou trades for Schneider had Marty and Moose both played to about their overall '11-'12 levels in '13. Would Lou have tried to squeeze one last year out of both?

My thought is that Lou knew he needed a goalie other than moose. He said that they have watched Cory for a long time, so I'm sure they had their eyes on a couple of guys around the league. When he saw Vancouver was desperate to end their controversy, he stepped in.

But I do think if an opportunity didn't present itself, we'd be stuck with Marty and moose.

Yeah, Lou took a bit of a risk sticking with Marty and Moose in '13, but with the way both performed in '11-'12, you could understand why he did it. 

We'll probably never know, but it'd be interesting to know if Lou trades for Schneider had Marty and Moose both played to about their overall '11-'12 levels in '13.  Would Lou have tried to squeeze one last year out of both?

Lou has said in interviews that they have been trying to get Schneider for a few years.

On another note, people are giving to Brodeur for no reason. He has yet to say one controversial thing, but people are acting like this is a major issue. The only issue will be Brodeur figuring out how to get accustomed to this role which is going to be very difficult from a physical and mental perspective. Not to go all John Madden (the NFL announcer), but here's a guy who has played 70+ games most of his entire career relegated to back up duty for the first time in his career. It's a tough transition. And as bad as Brodeur has been playing, playing 25-30 games is probably not a great situation for the team either for the above reasons. But getting Cory 55+ games outweights the slight benefits of having Brodeur getting more comfortable by playing a few for games.

Anyway, if some people expect Brodeur to just say, "I am really really bad right now, and Schneider is so much better than me, so he should be our starter"....well sorry it won't happen. And it doesn't need to happen. He already said today that Cory has been playing very very well, so he deserves to play. That's all he needs to say. Like all great ones that hang on a little too long, they know it is time to go. It happens when a guy who could never outrun you, tackle you, outrebound you, strike you out, score on you, blow by you etc does, and it starts happening regularly.  A few athletes even retire mid-season when they realize. Marty is probably getting there, or will get there soon enough. He will know, but he doesn't need to go to the media and say, "I suck. I shouldn't have come back." He's also not going to voluntarily quit and try and stop competing to be a starter. All what he needs to do is understand that they have a damn good goalie right now, who might be giving them a better chance to win. And from everything I have read, he has so far.

Edited by devilsrule33

I'm sure he doesn't like it, but at the same time, I think he realizes it is what it is.  No matter how hard he works, or how great he once was, he's losing the battle that EVERY great athlete succumbs to eventually...the battle against time and aging...unless they go out 100% on their own terms while they've still got something left (like John Elway, Mariano Rivera and a few select others). 

The Devils gave him a pretty fair shot to be a co-#1, given his age and his play last year.  The other guy is simply playing better, and by a significant margin.  I think if he looks at it logically, he can't expect the Devils to keep giving him chances at everyone else's expense.  Hopefully he's not angry with anyone (even himself).   

well said.....we as Devils fans have had the honor to call the best goalie to ever put on the pads as our own.I was here when Marty came up and I'm still here as his playing time becomes less.I'm sure in his heart he knows Cory is and should be the number 1 starter now. I for one would much rather Marty go out at the end of this season rather then watch him play poorly.

Lou has said in interviews that they have been trying to get Schneider for a few years.

On another note, people are giving to Brodeur for no reason. He has yet to say one controversial thing, but people are acting like this is a major issue. The only issue will be Brodeur figuring out how to get accustomed to this role which is going to be very difficult from a physical and mental perspective. Not to go all John Madden (the NFL announcer), but here's a guy who has played 70+ games most of his entire career relegated to back up duty for the first time in his career. It's a tough transition. And as bad as Brodeur has been playing, playing 25-30 games is probably not a great situation for the team either for the above reasons. But getting Cory 55+ games outweights the slight benefits of having Brodeur getting more comfortable by playing a few for games.

Anyway, if some people expect Brodeur to just say, "I am really really bad right now, and Schneider is so much better than me, so he should be our starter"....well sorry it won't happen. And it doesn't need to happen. He already said today that Cory has been playing very very well, so he deserves to play. That's all he needs to say. Like all great ones that hang on a little too long, they know it is time to go. It happens when a guy who could never outrun you, tackle you, outrebound you, strike you out, score on you, blow by you etc does, and it starts happening regularly.  A few athletes even retire mid-season when they realize. Marty is probably getting there, or will get there soon enough. He will know, but he doesn't need to go to the media and say, "I suck. I shouldn't have come back." He's also not going to voluntarily quit and try and stop competing to be a starter. All what he needs to do is understand that they have a damn good goalie right now, who might be giving them a better chance to win. And from everything I have read, he has so far.

this is said pretty perfectly.. fans need to give it a rest being on brodeurs ass its a little bit much and not needed.

this is said pretty perfectly.. fans need to give it a rest being on brodeurs ass its a little bit much and not needed.

People aren't really on his ass though.  I think the general feeling is sadness as Marty has finally found something in his NHL career that he can't overcome and beat.  I think most fans (though there's definitely exceptions) don't want to see too more much of him not because they're against him, but because they hate seeing him look bad. 

Where dr33 is right is that some people seem to expecting him to bitch and moan about this to the press, and are almost basing their reaction to Marty off something that's hasn't yet happened.  Just speculation on my part, but I'm guessing behind the scenes Marty probably thinks he deserves more starts...and that's fine.  I wouldn't expect him to just be 100% passive about losing a job he held for two decades.  But he's not doing it publicly, and hasn't said anything remotely controversial.  He's handled this as well as could be expected.

People aren't really on his ass though.  I think the general feeling is sadness as Marty has finally found something in his NHL career that he can't overcome and beat.  I think most fans (though there's definitely exceptions) don't want to see too more much of him not because they're against him, but because they hate seeing him look bad. 

Where dr33 is right is that some people seem to expecting him to bitch and moan about this to the press, and are almost basing their reaction to Marty off something that's hasn't yet happened.  Just speculation on my part, but I'm guessing behind the scenes Marty probably thinks he deserves more starts...and that's fine.  I wouldn't expect him to just be 100% passive about losing a job he held for two decades.  But he's not doing it publicly, and hasn't said anything remotely controversial.  He's handled this as well as could be expected.

i can speak for myself and say i don't want to see much more of him because he looks to be one of, if not the worst goalie in the NHL and the Devils have not only a better option, but one who might very well be a top 10 goalie in the league (if not higher).

he has handled just about as well as i could expect. i get on him because i want to see the team win and he's been solely responsible for some losses (including last year). on the one hand, i want him to sound like all his critics right now and say "i have been terrible and it's cory's net and i have to show when i get my chance that i deserve to get some games too." but that's just not realistic.

in the past, there really hasn't been a real alternative to him. now, there clearly is.

i can speak for myself and say i don't want to see much more of him because he looks to be one of, if not the worst goalie in the NHL and the Devils have not only a better option, but one who might very well be a top 10 goalie in the league (if not higher).

he has handled just about as well as i could expect. i get on him because i want to see the team win and he's been solely responsible for some losses (including last year). on the one hand, i want him to sound like all his critics right now and say "i have been terrible and it's cory's net and i have to show when i get my chance that i deserve to get some games too." but that's just not realistic.

in the past, there really hasn't been a real alternative to him. now, there clearly is.

Yeah, no way Marty is going to say that, and no way would I expect him to.  I think he likely firmly believes he has something left, and will get a chance sometime this season to prove it.  I think he's probably wrong, but I'd rather he believe that than feel like he's washed up.  At least it's not self-defeating.

Marty was actually playing pretty well through his first 15 games last season (.914 save%), but it got ugly in a hurry after that (.882 over his last 14 GP).  Hedberg was beyond dreadful after his first three starts...he had an .864 save% from his fourth game on (covering 16 appearances).  It's actually amazing how bad the Devils' goaltending was overall, and how it actually got WORSE as the season continued.  Those numbers would've been pretty bad in the 80s.  But yeah, when Marty started to falter in his second half, the only alternative the Devils had to go to was an even worse Hedberg.  And before that, it was pretty rare that the Devils really needed a viable alternative.  Brodeur even admitted (in his book) that the only time he ever felt pushed with the Devils was when Dunham was playing for them. 

IDK about anyone else, but every time I see the name of this thread, I think of Scheider back to back as well:

roy-scheider-jaws-1975-photo-GC.jpg

11045629_ori.jpg

Shark had no chance!

I was going to make a similar comment yesterday...you've got the screen caps though.

And in more Jaws news...Robert Shaw (Quint) and Richard Dreyfuss (Hooper) didn't get along on the set...Dreyfuss basically stated that Shaw was a 'terrible bully', who had run-ins with just about EVERYONE (cast and crew), but Dreyfuss was #1 on Shaw's sh!t list.  Shaw was also drunk during the filming of Quint's infamous Indianapolis monologue (which is probably why he had the date wrong)...he was so inebriated, in fact, that he had no memory of shooting the scene.

And Spielberg hated the original score of Jaws when he first heard it.  He thought it was cartoony and silly, and thought John Williams was joking when he presented it to him.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Marty is the reason this team will NOT win a big trophy.  He runs the "back office" and people are worried about his feelings.

Funny as I think Marty is getting cockier with age...

You were saying?

And in more Jaws news...Robert Shaw (Quint) and Richard Dreyfuss (Hooper) didn't get along on the set...Dreyfuss basically stated that Shaw was a 'terrible bully', who had run-ins with just about EVERYONE (cast and crew), but Dreyfuss was #1 on Shaw's sh!t list.  Shaw was also drunk during the filming of Quint's infamous Indianapolis monologue (which is probably why he had the date wrong)...he was so inebriated, in fact, that he had no memory of shooting the scene.

And Spielberg hated the original score of Jaws when he first heard it.  He thought it was cartoony and silly, and thought John Williams was joking when he presented it to him.

LOL, yeah. I heard that he was drunk the entire time and that he was a jerk when drunk. Still a great scene though. Terrible story about the Indianapolis too, they just left them there to die, only being rescued when a plane had spotted them by accident. Then the Captain of the ship killed himself due to the guilt and the whole you didn't zig-zag thing.

You were saying?

Mitico12 is one guy.  Re-read my post...I stated there are exceptions.  '7' would be another...he's been pretty hard on Marty too.  But I think in general, people aren't all over him.