Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

You know they're blowing it in the bottom of the inning ;-)

to be serious though. I don't like risking things with Marcum. We're counting on him, and he just came back from injury...and now pressed into duty in this abortion of a baseball game. I just don't like the idea of throwing him off sched like this.

Edited by '7'

We could've lost with Ike pitching too

But yes this team is predictable. And every month since the 2007 collapse...mostly twice a month, we get games like this. No other teams loses games like this as often as we do. And change of personnel makes no difference. None at all, this still goes on

I say it's your fault.

what? This is just the universe doing it's thing. It's pre ordained we lose this game. There is no "prediction".

That EASILY topped that disastrous 2nd game of the DH in Colorado from two weeks ago. I think that's the toughest loss I've seen in years. YEARS.

there have been worse. Remember Church in LA? Or those 3-4 games a year in Turner field. There have been so many from 08 and 09 that they've since faded in memory.

we'll have 7-9 more of these. Just like we do every year.

what? This is just the universe doing it's thing. It's pre ordained we lose this game. There is no "prediction".

But then that would mean that the universe preordained that I follow this team all my life include tonight, and be set up to watch this sort of thing happen for the 100th time!  How is that just!?

there have been worse. Remember Church in LA? Or those 3-4 games a year in Turner field. There have been so many from 08 and 09 that they've since faded in memory.

Well hey don't forget it's been awhile since that happened; it doesn't seem like it, but 2008 was 5 years ago. I actually didn't stay up for that Church game anyway but everyone still brings it up, so it must've been really brutal watching it. The last game of 2007/2008 sucked worse than this too due to the playoffs of course. But if we're just talking regular mid-season game over the last few years, it's tough to find one worse, at least from what I can remember right now. Edited by nmigliore

Well hey don't forget it's been awhile since that happened; it doesn't seem like it, but 2008 was 5 years ago. I actually didn't stay up for that Church game anyway but everyone still brings it up, so it must've been really brutal watching it.

Castillo dropped pop-up was pretty bad. Could argue that one was worse, but again that was quite awhile ago. I'm more or less thinking the last 3 years or so.

I remember a Ryan Howard HR last year at Citi when we were like 1 strike away...the walkoffs we lost to the Yankees. To me those hurt more because they were to true rivals on a bigger stage.

I wish there was some sort of "brutal loss" tracker that measured what team lost the most games in this fashion.

Also I remember a horrid one to the Nats last year similar to this. Where we took the lead in extras and blew it. Think it was on some defensive miscue

Edited by '7'

But then that would mean that the universe preordained that I follow this team all my life include tonight, and be set up to watch this sort of thing happen for the 100th time!  How is that just!?

it's not. You're born under a bad sign and meant to suffer! We're the new cubs. embrace it

still don't understand why Harvey threw 121 pitches tonight. What a joke

Edited by '7'

Also I remember a horrid one to the Nats last year similar to this. Where we took the lead in extras and blew it. Think it was on some defensive miscue

Elvin Ramirez disaster. Yeah I remember that, it sucked. I don't know, I still feel like this one tops everything in recent memory (2011 until now, essentially). But then again, it JUST happened, so my opinion is probably skewed.

If I went back to 2007-2009 though, no doubt there are plenty that top this. There were plenty mid-season ones in 2008 alone that topped this undoubtedly.

Edited by nmigliore

Guess I should be glad I missed this one.

121 pitches for Harvey in 5.1 innings...guess he got possessed by Al Leiter last night. 

Looks like this season could come apart in a hurry...I'm wondering since it's probable that Collins won't be back here next season, if the Mets are really scuffling through the end of May (figure 10+ games under .500), would the Mets just say screw it and can Collins?  I have no idea who they'd replace him with...it would probably be an interim-type.   

Sounds like pitching in the PCL is doing EXACTLY what we all feared it would...it's fvcking with Zack Wheeler's head, for a variety of reasons:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/harper-vegas-air-leaving-mets-wheeler-high-dry-article-1.1330857

Guess I should be glad I missed this one.

121 pitches for Harvey in 5.1 innings...guess he got possessed by Al Leiter last night. 

Looks like this season could come apart in a hurry...I'm wondering since it's probable that Collins won't be back here next season, if the Mets are really scuffling through the end of May (figure 10+ games under .500), would the Mets just say screw it and can Collins?  I have no idea who they'd replace him with...it would probably be an interim-type.

Probably someone like Bob Geren. If the team continues this slide, I don't think Terry makes it past June. The team had a horrible swoon last August where he could've been canned and nobody would have batted an eye.

Again I try not to get caught up in the managers and most of their decisions but last night was really bad with the intentional walk of Solano after Familia got ahead of him 1-2. It was painfully obvious the Marlins would send Olivo up next, not the pitcher. It didn't blow up on him but it very easily could've, especially with a pitcher who doesn't have good control.

Goes back to what we all knew about Collins before...he was going to be a stopgap guy, unless the team overachieved wildly under his watch.  And yeah, I agree about managers, I don't really notice them unless they come off as completely clueless or just flat-out of touch with everything that's going on (Art Howe and Jeff Torborg come to mind)...but those guys did have success with other teams, so it's all about being in the right place, right time, having the right players, etc...Joe Torre was called "Clueless Joe" before he became the Yankee manager.

But I don't think the Mets hired Collins thinking they found their long-term solution there...I think it was more of "right now this job is not one too many people are going to want, we don't have a whole lot of attractive choices, let's get someone in here to play the manager role until we're in the position to find someone better."  No matter how much we all knew that 2013 was going to be a punt year, it can't get to the point where the Mets are looking and playing like a 60-65 win team (they're on pace for 67 right now, for whatever that's worth)...I guess if Collins is gone at the end of the year anyway, and the guy who will serve out the remainder of the year is extremely unlikely to be the manager next season, what do the Mets really have to lose?  Not to mention that Citi has the potential to be a morgue unless Harvey's starting, at this rate. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

A bit off topic, but the Angels managed to top the Mets in the brutal loss category last night: they had Angels had a 7-2 lead heading to the 8th and gave up 4 in the 8th and 1 in the 9th to blow the lead. Got the lead back in the 15th, gave it back in the bottom half of the inning, which was set up by Pujols muffing a catch from Howie Kendrick, the 2B. Then in the 19th (!!), Brandon Moss hit a 2-run homer to win it for the A's.