Food at The Rock

thefiestygoat

I hate to do this but I feel its my civic duty as a patron/customer of Brick City Grill. So here it goes...

My GF bought me tickets to Sunday's Devils Kings game and I was amped because I hadn't gone yet this year and I usually go 4-5 times a year if I can.

Well, last season we went to BCG right before a Rangers Devils game with my dad and 2 buddies and sat at the back bar and had a few beers and wings...everyone loved the place and thought it was really cool. I don't really remember anything negative about our experience other than the place being SOOOOO PACKED.

So, my GF asked where I wanted to eat before hand and I said BCG of course. We looked at the menu online and we were excited. (I read on here right before I left about the 'event day menu' but didn't understand the utter disgrace I was about to get myself into)...

So we get there at about 3 o clock and we are seated right away...we sit down and look at the menu...the menu is about 1/3 or 1/4 of what we looked at online before we left the house. It took the waiter (young guido looking gentleman) about 15 minutes to even come and take our drink order. It took him another 15 to come back with our beers at which time he was about to run away before taking our food order but I insisted he take it and take it quickly. Side note, as we are sitting there for a half hour staring at our WILDLY OVERPRICED menus, I am starting to get anxiety about just how high these prices actually were and how limited the menu was. I am not hurting for cash, however, it was my GFs treat and I really really felt bad about the prices.

So we ordered our food. I ordered some 15 dollar cheeseburger with avocado on it (who the hell wants a burger with avocado on it) and my girl orders the greek salad with NO CHICKEN (shes a vegetarian)...GREAT.

So the food comes and this is what we get: greek salad WITH chicken, big overcooked burger with OLD roll...we have to track down guido waiter to get the chicken taken off (I wasn't that worried about it but she was not going to eat anything near or around the chicken) and finally he took the salad back and brought us a "new(er)" one sans chicken. We never got any ketchup on our table. So I was bumming off a couple lumberjack looking clowns next to me who were not happy to be sharing. I had to track down the guido waiter again when our beers ran out and we just wanted water.

Overall, the food gets a 3/10, the prices get a 1/10, the service gets a 0/10 (would give less than 0 if I could) and the atmosphere is decent...but overall, I WILL NEVER GO BACK...in fact, I will see to it that I spread the word and NO ONE I KNOW ever goes back to this place. It was horrible. The food IN THE ARENA is cheaper and better tasting and at least the service might be more accomodating and friendly.

***I am not one to complain. I worked in restaurants for years and I know what its like to be a waiter, but come on...for a 15-16 dollar hamburger and an 18 dollar salad (SIDE NOTE: HE CHARGED US FOR THE CHICKEN ANYWAY because of the game day menu, like are you kidding me? I asked but wasn't going to argue with him in front of my girlfriend)...this place is a DISGRACE.

DO NOT GO TO BRICK CITY GRILL ON GAMEDAYS. Save your money and your time. Food sucks. Service sucks.

I know what it's like to be a waiter too (currently). At least you handled it well, I've had guests make scenes in front of my other tables, which just ruins the mood until all of the tables that witnessed it leave. It definitely shouldn't take 15 minutes for him to greet you OR to get your drinks. I think the longest I've ever gone before greeting a table is 3 or 4 minutes. I appreciate on behalf of all servers that you were patient, though. I personally wish I could go 15 minutes on a busy night before greeting a table and not get verbally abused, but the chances of that are low.

I know what it's like to be a waiter too (currently). At least you handled it well, I've had guests make scenes in front of my other tables, which just ruins the mood until all of the tables that witnessed it leave. It definitely shouldn't take 15 minutes for him to greet you OR to get your drinks. I think the longest I've ever gone before greeting a table is 3 or 4 minutes. I appreciate on behalf of all servers that you were patient, though. I personally wish I could go 15 minutes on a busy night before greeting a table and not get verbally abused, but the chances of that are low.

I happen to like Brick City and never noticed a difference in their menu and there is nothing you can do about the prices. However, I do agree that the service is really bad. I've been there 2 or 3 times this season and good luck having your server visit your table more than 2 times in an hour. One time our waitress never came back at all and we had to go find her to get our check and leave.

I think the problem is that there are only 40+ Devils games a year so that can't be fully staffed for only 40 nights otherwise they will be overstaffed for the other 320+ nights when there is no event. I'm not sure what would solve the problem but the service there is not good.

Edited by rpaq88

I went to BCB&G on Sunday too with my parents and girlfriend. It was our third choice. First we tried MMM Bello's (just outside Newark Penn), and it was closed. Then we tried Scully's ... also closed. After all the walking we figured the safest bet to actually be open was BCB&G.

We were there really early (around 2:00ish). So early, in fact, that the doors were accidentally locked (even though there were a few patrons already inside). We sat at the bar where the younger of the two bartenders brought us menus. She screwed up my girl's drink order (brought her an Amstel Light instead of a Heineken Light) then she seemed utterly confused to the notion of taking food orders. She took our appetizer order and before we could order our lunch she says, "Let me put these (the appetizers) in before I forget." She never took our lunch order. The apps came and went and about 10 minutes after the plates were cleared the other bartender finally took our lunch order. In all fairness, they usually don't serve food at the bar (we were an exception because of how early we were) so the younger bartender probably wasn't used to dealing with food orders. But still ...

The food itself wasn't bad. My folks were both happy with their A-1 burgers and my girl was happy with her chicken ranch wrap. My ribeye sandwich was good too, although it had less meat on it than a Subway sandwich.

There are a ton of better options around The Rock than Brick City. But it is what it is.

I can't help but wonder what is going to happen once the Arena opens their bar at street level and how that effects everything. I am even more interested in what will happen to Ray Levy's building (the first bulding on Edison when walking from Mullberry) and the plans that are in play for the former bank/foot locker building.

I have a gift card.

All kidding aside, I would suggest after the game rather than before. I feel like if you're not in a rush BCBG is a much better experience. I happen to like it after games...a decent amount of time after the game and on off peak nights. I tend to migrate to my favorite places like Killkennys if I have to eat before games because its good food, no game day prices and well it's my version of "CHEERS".

95 this sort of ties to my theory on having a Around the Rock section for just Newark stuff. You have the revitalization thread (which is still one of the most informative Newark threads next to the one that exist on Wirednewyork) and a bunch about food or the arena situation. It's just my theory but there is always going to be a desire from fans to find out about the area or look for suggestions.

• 3 years later...

Arena food continues to push the culinary limits

Saturday, November 2, 2013

BY KARA YORIO

STAFF WRITER

The Record

Mustard or ketchup, maybe some relish. For decades those were the only choices for sports fans wanting a hot dog while at a game. It was a simpler time.

Prudential Center is now serving up five possibilities, along with its traditional Nathan's dog: a BLT hot dog (bacon-wrapped hot dog in a potato bun with shredded lettuce, plum tomatoes and chipotle mayo), an Italian hot dog (sautéed peppers and onions, potatoes, sun-dried tomato and basil aioli, on pizza bread), the Villa dog (Nathan's hot dog wrapped in pizza bread) and two choices for a Korean hot dog (one with a chicken topping, another with beef).

At the Prudential Center this season, Devils fans will find many new menu items to tempt them away from the hot dog or chicken fingers and fries. The new fare, such as the Korean kiosk, are meant to provide quality choices, not just a higher quantity of them.

"You're not going to fake it in this market," said Pru Center executive chef Niko Marinos.

http://www.northjersey.com/food_dining/230311481_Arena_food_continues_to_push_the_culinary_limits.html#sthash.GR2krPpV.dpuf

I love that Kara Yorio got relegated to writing articles about food kiosks. It brings me great joy every time they run one of her "features".

Honestly just curious but what is up with Kara yario hate? I really don't know her work and just recently see people in various places hating on her. Looks like she deserves it but just curious about reason lol

Honestly just curious but what is up with Kara yario hate? I really don't know her work and just recently see people in various places hating on her. Looks like she deserves it but just curious about reason lol

She used to be a beat writer for the Asbury Park Press (???, I think that was the paper).   They closed up the beat and now she works for the Record reviewing food kiosks and such.

I don't remember why she annoyed me but she annoyed me.

The loaded Nachos over at Mucho Nacho are really good. Messy as hell to eat though. I can never eat nachos there without getting some on my jersey. Haha. The Italian hot dogs and pastrami sandwiches are tasty as well. Steep as hell price wise though

I miss the Newark peanut stand that was there a few seasons ago. A giant bag of plain, honey roasted or chocolate covered peanuts for five bucks.

Edited by TheMazz

The loaded Nachos over at Mucho Nacho are really good. Messy as hell to eat though. I can never eat nachos there without getting some on my jersey. Haha. The Italian hot dogs and pastrami sandwiches are tasty as well. Steep as hell price wise though

I miss the Newark peanut stand that was there a few seasons ago. A giant bag of plain, honey roasted or chocolate covered peanuts for five bucks.

That's why I stay away from Nachos at sporting events.  I only eat messy food at places I can have a table.  If I get there early enough, I can eat at the counters upstairs.

That's why I stay away from Nachos at sporting events.  I only eat messy food at places I can have a table.  If I get there early enough, I can eat at the counters upstairs.

The ones with the mini TV screens? You lucky SOB the ushers won't let me do that and I get there at like 5:30

Edited by TheMazz

• 2 weeks later...

At the game on Friday, I had the Korean hot dog with BBQ beef. Although it was expensive ($7 and change), I gotta say it was delicious. I almost went back to try the Korean hot dog with spicy chicken, but my kid couldn't finish his chicken fingers with fries so I helped him with that instead.