C Steve Zalewski has been added to the Devils' NHL roster

The 29th Pick

Well, I give this call up a resounding "Whatever". I don't really know much about this Zalewski guy. If I recall, we acquired him via some minor league trade a year or two ago, but I could be completely wrong on that one.

Anyways, I guess the guy deserves a shot to see if he can be any better than the losers we have on the 4th line now. He does lead Albany in scoring with 9 goals, 12 assists and 21 points in 34 games(Zharkov is 2nd in scoring there with 18 points, but has played in 10 less games than Zalewski). So with that kind of scoring he's managed down in the AHL, maybe he can actually bring something remotely resembling a scoring touch to the perpetually desolate offense on the 4th line.

I'd still like to see Zharkov get an extended shot at making the big club and be given enough ice time to show that he can or cannot stick in the NHL. I think he deserves it as much, if not more than any other player since he's been able to score at a faster pace than anyone else in Albany, he showed last year that he's definitely defensively responsible enough to not be a liability on the ice, that he has NHL quality skating abilities, works and backchecks as hard as anyone else, has good enough hockey sense to where he usually makes the right/safe play and can make accurate passes, which is something that our current iteration of the 4th line doesn't seem to do well when the pass is going any further than 10 feet in order to reach it's intended receiver...

Well, I give this call up a resounding "Whatever". I don't really know much about this Zalewski guy. If I recall, we acquired him via some minor league trade a year or two ago, but I could be completely wrong on that one.

Anyways, I guess the guy deserves a shot to see if he can be any better than the losers we have on the 4th line now. He does lead Albany in scoring with 9 goals, 12 assists and 21 points in 34 games(Zharkov is 2nd in scoring there with 18 points, but has played in 10 less games than Zalewski). So with that kind of scoring he's managed down in the AHL, maybe he can actually bring something remotely resembling a scoring touch to the perpetually desolate offense on the 4th line.

I'd still like to see Zharkov get an extended shot at making the big club and be given enough ice time to show that he can or cannot stick in the NHL. I think he deserves it as much, if not more than any other player since he's been able to score at a faster pace than anyone else in Albany, he showed last year that he's definitely defensively responsible enough to not be a liability on the ice, that he has NHL quality skating abilities, works and backchecks as hard as anyone else, has good enough hockey sense to where he usually makes the right/safe play and can make accurate passes, which is something that our current iteration of the 4th line doesn't seem to do well when the pass is going any further than 10 feet in order to reach it's intended receiver...

So what you are saying is you know absolutely nothing about Zalewski but Zharkov deserves the call up more? Doesn't matter that this might be a cup of coffee to see how the NHL club is treated compared to riding the buses in the AHL or if this is a call up where he may get a few games at center cause Travis has a set back. Not saying he has had a setback but there is a road trip coming up which JJ might not make so an extra C might be needed. Lou has seen what sharky has, Let Lou and Pete see what the new guy has.

wow, I completely missed this. Good deal.

Congratulations Zalewski. Hope you make the best of this look!

rotfl

From: Dropped off at Turnpike truck stop, Steve Zalewski joins Devils

"Steve Zalewski was on the Albany (AHL) team bus headed for Norfolk, Va., today when it pulled into a rest stop on on the New Jersey Turnpike and he was told to get off."

Now, that's the way to get a call up!

hahaha!

Edited by ohms law

I think (or hope, at least) that Zharkov will be staying in Albany until there is a less temporary spot for him with NJ. He's not the kind of guy you want picked up on waivers and I think he's waiver eligible now. So if I'm not mistaken, that may cause some trouble when sending him back down.

how much chances Vladimir need? i think - enough

Sorry, what?

I've been able to follow your other posts (and broken English doesn't generally bother me one bit... I'm monolingual, after all), but I can't quite parse this post.

Edited by ohms law

I think he's saying Zharkov has gotten enough chances so there is no need to call him up.

I'd disagree, Zharkov has proven both in the NHL and AHL he's an NHL player, to me. The Devils either disagree with that or don't feel he fits the makeup of the current 3rd or 4th line.

Now that I re-read it, I think you're right... and I kinda agree. I mean... he doesn't belong on the 4th line. Unless it's makeup is completely changed (which I wouldn't mind at all, but I also have no expectations of is occurring). I think that there are better options from the 1st through 3rd lines, as well (as long as everyone is healthy).

Seems to have had an excellent game tonight. He looks like a great faceoff guy to have around, and if you're going to dress a role player center why not have at least one good faceoff guy?

Not that I'm saying that he will, or even should necessarily, stick around, but it's easy to make some kind of case to stick with him. Especially over Zharkov.

He seems similar to Carter, I would like our center to have a little more speed to attack the puck on the forecheck and to drive the net.

I agree. He def seems a bit quicker than our other 4th liners and he seems to make better decisions with the puck than Janssen or Sestito. He did pretty well on the forecheck, so I can't complain about him. He's def an improvement so far over what he had on the 4th line previously.

Seems to have had an excellent game tonight. He looks like a great faceoff guy to have around, and if you're going to dress a role player center why not have at least one good faceoff guy?

Not that I'm saying that he will, or even should necessarily, stick around, but it's easy to make some kind of case to stick with him. Especially over Zharkov.

????? All of this...just...what?