Gomez Has Arrived

William D'Aquila

Honestly, I think the whole situation has just snowballed and he's lost control.  He's clearly been in scramble mode since Parise, Kovy and Clarkson left.  Clowe was about as reactionary a signing as I can remember (you'd think Lou would've learned from his mistakes after Niedermayer), and his reward-type contracts to old, slow veterans have finally caught up to him.

One bad decision after another, and poor asset management (shoutout to SD - I'm with you here) has kind of left Lou without many options going forward.  

How bout that, eh?  Additionally, this new Bettman NHL has created many systemic problems; squeezing-out 30-somethings, increased injuries/more IRs, less legends, more young'ins, career ending whatever, etc. Not only this Devil season going to be painful, but next year's still carries huge liabilities and costs with many shot and old/slow players.

Right now, these 35+, repetitive injuries, and long term expensive player contracts, are killing franchises and the fan base, especially Lou's Devils. For years now, I've been scratching my head wondering, "What were you thinking Lou? The league is getting faster and faster, the rules keep change to open up the ice and increas speed. Your previous fast and talented Devil players proved this change was the way to go, yet Lou not only doesn't adapt, but takes it down a few notches with a slower team and gameplan." Heck let's not fool ourselves, even if a tight checking defensive gameplan were to work, it's not with the bunch that are currently chasing the opponents around the rink which consistently seem to be one or two steps behind.

I won't even get into the talent loss/acquisition portion of the Devils front office... we all know it's been a complete disaster for many reasons/variables and management mistakes of yesterday, today and appears for be the near future.

'Suck for Luck'... in the 2015 draft is the first step

But first line??? Really??? We're less than one year removed from Jagr gushing about how much he enjoyed playing with Jacob Josefson,  but magically a 2-month unpopular PTO gets signed at a time like this and grabs the first line?

Lol your talking as if deboer has an history of making decisions that makes sense or somting haha

I'd rather see a shot of youth on this team, but a center who can pass the puck as well as he does was a breathe of fresh air, his skating is better than most of the old men on thsi team, so I guess that is a positive as well.

Let s hope it lasts more than a few games, and maybe his passing eventually leads to some goals...