3 Best/3 Worst Games of your NJ Devils Fandom?

CMONPETEYD

I was ecstatic when they brought back the old horn for one of the retro games. I think (not sure) they used it early in the playoffs in 2012. Can anyone verify that? Not sure why it sticks in my head.

They did have it for Game 3 against the Panthers, then shelved it after that fiasco. So if you got there seven minutes late you missed it :P

If we are going by attended games:

WORST

1) Game 7 2009 vs Carolina, for previously stated reasons. I still remember laughing as I walked out of the building because I just couldn't believe it.

2) Game 1 of the 2012 finals. I was just happy to be there, and during the game, it became apparent that the Devils had already played their Stanley Cup series against the Rangers. It wasn't a gut wrenching feeling to me or anything, just kind of a sad realization that the Kings were hungry and our miracle run was going to over if the Devils didn't have that same fire soon.

3) Game 5 2010 vs Philly. Blech. Shutout 3-0 in an elimination game. One of the most cowardly Devils teams I've seen. They had no heart that series. I left in the second period when it was pretty apparent the they had accepted the loss.

Dishonorable mention: Devils - Panthers 1995-96 season. I'd been to a bunch of games in the Garden with my Uncle, but this was my first game in the Devil's home. I was 14 and beyond excited. And they played terribly, losing 4-1 and being unable to solve the goaltending Rubik's Cube known as Mark f'n Fitzpatrick. Blech.

BEST

1) Game 6 ECF 2012: Henrique, it's over! Beautiful. The atmosphere was amazing. Devils blew a 2 goal lead like the MSG crew's 1994 script said they would, and then they just would not allow that 3rd one. The best part was after that game, going into the streets and there just being 1000's of Devils fans coming out of the arena and bars to celebrate together. Just an awesome night.

2) Game 6 Rd 1, 2012: Zajac scores and the Rock playoff curse is over. When that  game hit overtime, you could feel the funk in that arena. It was like we were all just waiting for the breakdown and 2-on-1 goal against or open net where we hit a crossbar and then lose. We were waiting for that let down, and Zajac forcing game 7 was HUGE.

3) St Patrick's Day game, Marty breaks the wins record, Elias gets the Devils point record. The crowd was loud and chanting all night. What a fun game. I was so happy to experience that!

Honorable mention: 

- Game 4 2012 vs Flyers, Ponikarovsky in OT

- Game 5 in 1999 Row 5 seats and Stevens scored the winner

- Marty's return from injury. Sat in the last row of 209, and it was an absolute blast

- The first retro game, hearing all the chants for old players and smacking the Pens around.

- vs Tampa in 96 or 97. Down 3-1 going into the 3rd, Marty pulled for Dunham, Devils score 5 goals including a hattrick be either Rolston or MacLean. It was the first time I saw them win in NJ.

- Kovy's first game with the comeback late in the 3rd

- I forget when, but Devils beat the Lightning during Marty's injury, and Weekes had really been struggling. They won in a shootout and you could see the relief from him.

- I forget when, but Devils beat the Lightning during Marty's injury, and Weekes had really been struggling. They won in a shootout and you could see the relief from him.

Epic game! Lol, completely forgot about that one, they actually won in OT if I remember correctly.

Edited by Zubie#8

One of the worst regular season games I attended was the second game of the season in 2010-2011. Took the trip allllllll the way down to DC to see the boys get embarrassed 7-2 and a bunch of redneck Cap fans randomly try to fight me although I said absolutely nothing for the whole game. They were one of the worst fan bases I ever encountered and I will never go back to that dump. If you want to see a bandwagon fan base who knows nothing about the sport and are trashy like Flyer fans then I suggest you try the upper level at the Verizon Center.

Edited by Zubie#8

Best: Tough to put them in order so here they without any order:

552 game. Great game, great to see history. I had a VIP pass to the "Platinum Lounge" I believe someone else on here told me is what it's called. Either way, got to meet Parise, Langs, a few other guys, got Rupp to sign my 2003 team picture, got to bs with Langs about that hook+dive call they made. He agreed with my sentiments, was it a hook or a dive? bs lol.

Marty's first goal in 97 against the Canadiens in the 1st round

Hard to pick a 3rd one, but it might be tied between Game 6 of the EQF last year, was also my birthday, so doubly cool. Either that or the Dec. 12th Devils vs Rangers game we won 8-5 after looking real bad and being down 4 goals I think it was. It was great to win that one, lol.

Worst: This is easier and I have a clear order for them:

1. Game 7 2009 EQF. No need to say more.

2. Game 5 2000 SCF. This was my first SCF game I'd ever been to, they had a chance to win, I was crushed. Probably has more to do with me being 10 at the time, than actually losing the game.

3. Game 2 2008 EQF. That icing call, ugh. I knew it was the kiss of death for the series. On top of that, Parise getting his teeth knocked out with a cross check to the face, resulting in only a 4min double minor. I think they even called it a high stick when it was clear that it was a stick parallel to the ice cross check to the damn face. It was like everything that could go wrong, did. That sucked.

Is it clear that I got more angry as the list went on? lol.

1) Game 6 ECF 2012: Henrique, it's over! Beautiful. The atmosphere was amazing. Devils blew a 2 goal lead like the MSG crew's 1994 script said they would, and then they just would not allow that 3rd one. The best part was after that game, going into the streets and there just being 1000's of Devils fans coming out of the arena and bars to celebrate together. Just an awesome night.

Totally agree. After the game, I remember just high fiving literally everyone I walked past, and even hugged several complete strangers. It was really cool to be coming down the escalator and seeing them ripping open boxes full of EC Champs hats, with a hoard of fans clamoring to buy.

Outside, my brother and I walked around the arena just soaking up the atmosphere. It was a huge party. Never going to forget that night. In my lifetime I hope to see the Devils win a Cup at home, just to see what that atmosphere would be like.

Edited by Colin226

Totally agree. After the game, I remember just high fiving literally everyone I walked past, and even hugged several complete strangers. It was really cool to be coming down the escalator and seeing them ripping open boxes full of EC Champs hats, with a hoard of fans clamoring to buy.

Outside, my brother and I walked around the arena just soaking up the atmosphere. It was a huge party. Never going to forget that night. In my lifetime I hope to see the Devils win a Cup at home, just to see what that atmosphere would be like.

I was lucky enough to have seen them win the cup at home in 1995 and 2003.  While the atmosphere before the SCF games was better, the atmosphere and pure joy experienced after the game 6 win over the Rags in 2012 was as good, if not better, than the cup wins. 

Shortly after Henrique scored, the guy behind me gave me a bear hug and practically lifted me into his row.  Then the girls in front of us jumped into our row and gave me and my friend hugs as we were all going crazy.  It was complete mayhem, but the good kind.  The high 5's were non-stop heading out of the rink, the escalator down the cylinders was loud and crazy, Edison Place was still packed with people at least an hour after the game ended cause nobody wanted to leave and, as we walked to our car that night, random strangers were still coming up to us and giving high 5's and hugs.  Hell, you probably were one of the persons hugging me at one point.  It was just awesome, and one of the best sporting experience I will ever have in my life.

I was lucky enough to have seen them win the cup at home in 1995 and 2003.  While the atmosphere before the SCF games was better, the atmosphere and pure joy experienced after the game 6 win over the Rags in 2012 was as good, if not better, than the cup wins. 

Shortly after Henrique scored, the guy behind me gave me a bear hug and practically lifted me into his row.  Then the girls in front of us jumped into our row and gave me and my friend hugs as we were all going crazy.  It was complete mayhem, but the good kind.  The high 5's were non-stop heading out of the rink, the escalator down the cylinders was loud and crazy, Edison Place was still packed with people at least an hour after the game ended cause nobody wanted to leave and, as we walked to our car that night, random strangers were still coming up to us and giving high 5's and hugs.  Hell, you probably were one of the persons hugging me at one point.  It was just awesome, and one of the best sporting experience I will ever have in my life.

I do not think anything will top this feeling. It was incredible, you described it perfectly, we were all one that night and everyone loved each other. Hell of an experience and it gives me goosebumps every time I think about it.

Going with attended games as well (I don't feel there's a ton to debate for best in team history),

The bad:

1. 2009 rd 1, gm 7 vs Car That go-ahead goal for the canes went in, my eyes popped, jaw dropped, and then I just stayed frozen like that until minutes after the final horn.

2. 2012 scf, gm 1 So much excitement coming in, very painful going out. This is the one that I think about when the "what-if"s go through my head.

3. 10/24/2006 at Pitt I drew the ire of the Penguin fans by having the audacity to celebrate the Devils' first period goal, the 1st of the game. The Pens pretty much dominated from there on, making it hell for me.

I'll do this for games attended in person:

Worst

1. 2009 Round 1, Game 7 against the Hurricanes

2. 2012 SCF game 1 OT loss to Kings

3. 2/5/13 game in Pittsburgh (5-1 loss). Only because I paid a fortune for tix, made the long-ass drive, and saw a debacle

I like how our worst games lists are basically identical, just a different game in Pittsburgh at then end.  It's like we're connected!  :doh1:

Its very hard to pick 3 of either, as we have had both some epic wins and heartwrenching losses over the years. But alas, after giving it some thought, here are mine: 3 favorites: 1). Game 7 2003 Cup Finals- I was there to see our boys win the Stanley Cup in person. Nothing can top it. Fans of some teams have lived their whole lives and not been able to say that. It's a night I will NEVER, EVER forget. Just incredible. 2). Game 4 1995 Cup Finals- you never forget your first. What an amazing, surreal night that was. I was only 16, and thus had no income for tickets (and my folks weren't coughing up the $1,000 it was gonna cost for 2 game 4 tickets), so I watched it on TV at my friend Rob's house. After what we had been through the year before, it just made it that much sweeter. When I saw Scott Stevens lift that Cup on behalf of the New Jersey Devils for the first time, I'll never forget throwing my hands in the air in triumph, and pumping my fists over and over, as tears of joy streamed down my face. 3). Game 7 2000 Eastern Conference Finals- of all the playoff series wins that weren't the Cup Finals wins (and "HENRIQUE!!! IT'S OVER!!!" last year), this is my favorite series win and the most proud I've been of this franchise for winning a series maybe in my life. Being down 3-1 and being the first team in Conference Finals history to come back from it, Larry's tirade, winning 2 out of 3 in Philly, the Stevens hit on Lindros, the clutch winner by Patty with just over 2:00 to play... And the fact that it was the Phailures we did it to. It was one of the proudest and most satisfying wins I've had as a fan. I knew we were winning the Cup that night. I'll post my 3 worst losses in a seperate post.

Ok, on to the bad sh!t, so I'll try and keep it short so I don't throw up in my mouth before I'm done lol: 1). Game 7 2001 Cup Finals- if there was a way I could burn this entire night from my memory, I would do everything possible to make that happen. Absolutely brutal and heartwrenching in every way. 2). Game 7 1994 Eastern Conference Finals- this game probably would've been #1 until last year, but HENRIQUE IT'S OVER!!! thankfully took much of the remaining sting out of this one. Still, after it happened, I spoke a total of about 5 syllables in the ensuing 2 days. I was depressed into almost being a mute. It was a devastating defeat when it happened, so it remains on the list, although knocked down a few pegs thanks to the Cups and last year. 3). Game 6 2001 Cup Finals- This is still the only game I've ever walked out of feeling physically ill, (not even after game 7 2009, but I was probably too stunned and angry to get sick that night lol). It was all right there for us. A chance to repeat. A chance to really stamp ourselves as a dynasty. We had everything to play for. And we didn't even show up. After Gomez's goal was waved off, they quit and I STILL get pissed off about it every time I think about it. Hell, I'm getting pissed typing this, because it's making me think about this stupid game again. Brutal.

. I probably hugged you that night. Or high-fived you. Probably both lol. That night was absolutely off the charts amazing. The level of pure excitement and joy was on the level of the way it was in 2003 at game 7 for sure. When Henrique scored, it was just MADNESS in our section. Everyone was hugging everyone, high-fiving, people jumping into the rows behind them... Just madness, and it was AWESOME.

Attended games only:

Best:

1. 2003 SCF Game 7 - Nothing comes close.

2. 2012 Eastern Quarters Game 6 - So nervous. Then it goes to OT lol. 

3. October 28, 2000 - Only time I've ever been to sh!tsburgh. Was living in Seattle at the time and had to go there for a funeral. Day after the funeral and day before I leave, find out the Devils are in town. We stormed them 9-0. Madden and McKay each scored 4 goals.

Worst:

1. 2010-11 Regular season vs the Habs. - This was near the end of the season, but we were basically invaded by Habs fans. Never in my life have I encountered more disgusting or awful visiting fans. The ones nearest my group were disrespectful in every respect, but luckily we got security involved. Never had to do that before or since. 

2. April 1995 - This was the first time I got to see the Devils on the road. We had moved to FL from NJ a few years prior and this was a gift from my dad. We drove down to Tampa and the Devils quickly fell down 3-0 and we were both really tired and left at the end of the 2nd. The Devils scored 2 in the third but still lost. 

3. 2012 ECF Game 3 vs the Rangers. This was a Saturday afternoon game and I just was really mad at our play. Obviously the series went in our favor, but this was a frustrating loss. The only saving grace is that a Rags fan friend gave me her extra ticket.

Best:

1.  2012 ECF - Game 6 -  Finally get the monkey off our backs after 18 years of listening to those asshats.  Crowd was nuts that night and it was so nice to see so few Rangers fans.

2.  2000 ECF - Game 7 -  Epic final game with "The Hit."  Even better since I've lived in Philly since I moved down here for college in '93. 

3.  2000 SCF - Game 6 -  Combined with Game 5, this was some of the best hockey I've ever seen.  There was no shortage of scoring chances but this was literally the best I've ever seen Brodeur perform and Belfour wasn't far behind once he kicked the cough medicine. 

HM - 2003 Game 7 -  Nothing epic about the game but seeing the cup won in person was awesome.  Unfortunately I was on my honeymoon in St Lucia during 2003 ECF Game 7 or that might be up there as well.  Instead I had to wait for scores to come across the bottom line on ESPN all night. ALmost hit the ceiling when the 3-2 first came across.   

Worst:

1.  2001 SCF Game 6 - After guys like Mogilny and Gomez finally got off the schnide in Game 5, I was so sure we were going to win this one. This team really should have won a second straight and it's a shame because I don't think a lot of people remember how good those Devils teams in 2000-2001 really were.  I was sitting on the end of the rink where Foote's long shot beat Marty.     

2.  2009 ECQF Game 7 -  Carolina two goal comeback was just so sudden.  

3.  2008 ECQF  -  The whole series.  So many Rangers fans in our building chirping constantly.  Brodeur was embarassingly awful.  Everything about that series sucked.   

HM - 1994 ECF Game 7 -  It used to burn but at this point, I don't know if I even care anymore.  I just think to myself, "Henrique, it's over!"  and it's all better.