Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,478 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:28 AM

Just wanted to quote this for emphasis.

Waive one or both of Janssen/Boulton this offseason por favor

Janssen is UFA and probably won't be back. Boulton will probably be here because you need someone who can drop the gloves so guys like Clarkson and Kovy don't have to.

Edited by Devil Dan 56, 20 April 2012 - 10:28 AM.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#222 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,887 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

Janssen is UFA and probably won't be back. Boulton will probably be here because you need someone who can drop the gloves so guys like Clarkson and Kovy don't have to.

Yeah, you need a guy who can stage a fight at just the right time in the first period.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#223 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,478 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

Yeah, you need a guy who can stage a fight at just the right time in the first period.

I know they aren't used in the playoffs, but a few Philly or Ranger games without a decent heavyweight will get ugly. Once again, it's a part of momentum and emotion in a game, so there's no spreadsheet for it.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#224 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:10 AM

so there's no spreadsheet for it.

:rofl:
I love Tri's posts and value them, but that's pretty funny
Posted Image

#225 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,478 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

:rofl:
I love Tri's posts and value them, but that's pretty funny

I should point out that I value and respect Tri's stuff, too. There's a lot of work involved in what he does. However, I just feel that there's an additional emotional part to sports that can't be statistically followed.

#226 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone else think of the Lawnmower Man every time they see Kris Versteeg's scraggly golden locks?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#227 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,886 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

Dammit! I was thinking about getting one but thought it was just going to be the Skrlac, Driver, Marshall and Daneyko group.

My friend got Chris McAlpine.

I got Richard fvckin' Matvichuk.

Yeahhh I totally wasted $20 last night. Hah.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#228 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,648 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

I know they aren't used in the playoffs, but a few Philly or Ranger games without a decent heavyweight will get ugly. Once again, it's a part of momentum and emotion in a game, so there's no spreadsheet for it.

Having a heavyweight who literally can't play hockey does more harm than good in the end, as we got reminded time and again this year.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#229 gata

gata

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

I was at the game last night . It was amazing, and electrifying. The crowd was going nuts, we definitely came back to prove a point. We are a force to be reckoned with.
Marty B. turned back time and played like the true pro he is.
We've hit a very interesting point in this series. I hope our boys show face on Saturday.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#230 Steven M.

Steven M.

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

Posted Image

He annoys me.

100601larry-david2.jpg

#231 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,470 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:25 PM

I should point out that I value and respect Tri's stuff, too. There's a lot of work involved in what he does. However, I just feel that there's an additional emotional part to sports that can't be statistically followed.

In fairness, it's not really "Tri's" stuff...it's stuff other people with a LOT of time on their hands have come up with, that he posts links to and/or expands upon, but I give him credit for making people aware of different ways to evaluate players...what he posts makes for good thought. The stuff he's helped to make fans on this site aware of isn't the kind of stuff you'll find just anywhere, especially on ESPN-type sites. I find myself wishing I could hear a little more of Tri the hockey fan and less of Tri Nye the Hockey Science Guy at times, but then he probably wouldn't be Triumph.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 20 April 2012 - 12:32 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#232 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone else think of the Lawnmower Man every time they see Kris Versteeg's scraggly golden locks?

Not bad, but I get Yahoo Serious vibes from him...

Posted Image
"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#233 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,470 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

Not bad, but I get Yahoo Serious vibes from him...

OMG, forgot about this movie. I don't think I was ever able to sit through it.
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#234 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,873 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:58 PM

How great was that win last night?!!! I think it was something we ALL needed to see happen., especially coming off of the previous two games.

Of course, it's not like the Devs dominated each period. But still, for the most part, their heads were in it the whole game. It was the 60-minute effort some of us were looking for.

A truly solid effort!

#235 Steven M.

Steven M.

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

I can't stop rewatching this.

100601larry-david2.jpg

#236 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,478 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

In fairness, it's not really "Tri's" stuff...it's stuff other people with a LOT of time on their hands have come up with, that he posts links to and/or expands upon, but I give him credit for making people aware of different ways to evaluate players...what he posts makes for good thought. The stuff he's helped to make fans on this site aware of isn't the kind of stuff you'll find just anywhere, especially on ESPN-type sites. I find myself wishing I could hear a little more of Tri the hockey fan and less of Tri Nye the Hockey Science Guy at times, but then he probably wouldn't be Triumph.

Yeah, agreed. I just didn't want to come off like I was dismissing it. I just feel there's a place for that and that there's also a place in sport when people just have to go with their gut. Emotion, psychology, etc, that stuff all plays in as well.

#237 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,736 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

Tri Nye the Hockey Science Guy

LOL I hated that bill nye the science guy

#238 Anhkheg

Anhkheg

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

From a panthers website under the observation part (http://www.litterbox...game-four-recap)

• Chico Resch is really hard to listen to for an entire broadcast. That is all.

#239 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,156 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

On a double side note does anyone know if SammyK mowed his lawn yet this series?

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#240 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,470 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

Yeah, agreed. I just didn't want to come off like I was dismissing it. I just feel there's a place for that and that there's also a place in sport when people just have to go with their gut. Emotion, psychology, etc, that stuff all plays in as well.

Yeah, agree completely...I try to stay somewhere in the middle, between the emotion/gut and the science. I'll never be the type who acts like every game is a winnable entity, so I don't lose my mind over every loss...and out of all of the losses I've seen that are supposed to "backbreakers", few of them really turn out to be as such. But I get plenty pissed over some of them...Game 3 was a rough one for sure.

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users