BEER

TrentonDevils

Tried two new beers this weekend, both of which were quite good, if not great.

The first is a Scottish black porter called Midnight Sun, brewed by the Williams Bros Company, if that helps anybody. The beer was heavy as all get out but absolutely delicious. There is a new British gastropub type place by me (which really means overpriced) that I had to check out and when my friend asked for a really dark beer, that's what they pulled out. Really tasty.

midnight_sun.jpg

The second is a wheat beer that was quite amazing called Hennepin. I think it's made in upstate New York and since summer are all about wheat beers for me, this one was a really tasty one.

beer.hennepin.jpg

Of course, while this is a beer thread, my favorite drink of the weekend was a 15 yr single malt Oban but I digress :D

Also want to say that the other thing I love about beer are the beer glasses. I got a set of 4 of those fancy Sam Adams glasses and they are really great.

I also just purchased a glass that I have been looking for years for. They finally showed up on ebay and I snatched the up. You cannot get these over hear and I heard the brewery that makes them does not export these, so these have to be mailed from someone who bought one in Germany. They are from the Eichbaum brewery in Mannheim (my mother's home city). They are a smaller to mid-sized regional brewery in Germany and they only export a few of their brews over here and quite hard to find. These glasses are really cool and remember them from when I was last over them but never bought them (I should have). They are called horn-stemmed glasses and they literally look like they should tip over every time but they are really sturdy. They come in different sizes and below is an example of one.

ureich.jpg

And the beer is great too. They pump their own spring water form their property however their brews are nicknamed corpse water cause their brewery is literally right next to a graveyard. When I took a tour there they were not kidding how close it was but assured us that they use filters and barriers so their water doesn't get tainted by rotting bodies lol.

And the beer is great too. They pump their own spring water form their property however their brews are nicknamed corpse water cause their brewery is literally right next to a graveyard. When I took a tour there they were not kidding how close it was but assured us that they use filters and barriers so their water doesn't get tainted by rotting bodies lol.

Sounds like my kind of beer. :lol: Those are cool glasses, I always liked the taller glasses over the normal every day pint glasses. You always feel like your pinky should be out while drinking from one.

Sounds like my kind of beer. :lol: Those are cool glasses, I always liked the taller glasses over the normal every day pint glasses. You always feel like your pinky should be out while drinking from one.

Haha yeah these are great. I got 1 already and it is the smaller kind so while it is smaller than a pint, it is taller than the traditional pint glass. (it is in fact a 0.2L glass) I have 2 coming on the way and they are bigger. The one I got already is to drink pilsner and over there, they consider pilsners more of the champagne of beer so that is probably why this smaller glass is for pilsners.

They also have another cool glass too but this one is more pricy and I have found these a few times on ebay. They are the "boot" glasses and well they are exactly how it sounds lol.

140.jpg

Edited by DevsMan84

A friend of mine told me at Wegmans they have a thing where you can make your own six-pack for a set price and you can choose a bunch of craft beers. Anyone heard of this before?

I think I remember reading about that on Beer Advocate. I'm sure the higher priced beers are excluded from the set price. I've never been to a Wegman's that sold beer though. I heard there's a law in New Jersey that says chain grocery stores can only sell alcohol in two of their stores in the entire state. I believe in most other states you can walk into any grocery store and buy beer. I also heard there is a law in New York that forbids liquor stores from selling beer, so I guess grocery stores are the only place you can go to for beer in that state.

They sell single bottles at Joe Canal's on Rt. 1 in Iselin and at the Buy Rite on Oak Tree Road in South Plainfield, so you can make your own six pack there, but not for a set price.

I think I remember reading about that on Beer Advocate. I'm sure the higher priced beers are excluded from the set price. I've never been to a Wegman's that sold beer though. I heard there's a law in New Jersey that says chain grocery stores can only sell alcohol in two of their stores in the entire state. I believe in most other states you can walk into any grocery store and buy beer. I also heard there is a law in New York that forbids liquor stores from selling beer, so I guess grocery stores are the only place you can go to for beer in that state.

They sell single bottles at Joe Canal's on Rt. 1 in Iselin and at the Buy Rite on Oak Tree Road in South Plainfield, so you can make your own six pack there, but not for a set price.

I am not sure about that. In that case the two Wegman's I know that sell alcohol are in Bridgewater on rt 202 and in Princeton on rt 1. These two do not sell the beer in the actual store, you have to go to a store that is connected to Wegman;s on the side.

I don't know what the NJ laws are, but in NY you can sell beer in grocery stores but you can't sell wine and liquor (though I believe you can get wine that's specifically labelled as cooking wine). There's been a major push in recent years to get that law changed, but to no avail. I believe the law works the other way, too, as in you can't get beer (or anything that would be considered a "grocery item") in liquor stores. There are beverage stores (similar to the package stores you find in other states but they're not state-run) that sell beer, malt beverages (Smirnoff Ice, Mike's Hard Lemonade, etc.), and usually soda and water.

Also, there's a loophole in the law that lets one Trader Joe's in NYC sell wine and I think there's a Wegmans somewhere in the state that also sells wine. The loophole states that a grocery store can sell wine if it's a self-contained entity, i.e., it has its own entrance/exit and its own registers. (It's probably similar to DevsMan84's description of the beer-selling Wegmans in NJ.) And you can only own one of these, so that's why only the one TJ's has wine as opposed to all six or seven that they have in the area.

I don't know what the NJ laws are, but in NY you can sell beer in grocery stores but you can't sell wine and liquor (though I believe you can get wine that's specifically labelled as cooking wine). There's been a major push in recent years to get that law changed, but to no avail. I believe the law works the other way, too, as in you can't get beer (or anything that would be considered a "grocery item") in liquor stores. There are beverage stores (similar to the package stores you find in other states but they're not state-run) that sell beer, malt beverages (Smirnoff Ice, Mike's Hard Lemonade, etc.), and usually soda and water.

Also, there's a loophole in the law that lets one Trader Joe's in NYC sell wine and I think there's a Wegmans somewhere in the state that also sells wine. The loophole states that a grocery store can sell wine if it's a self-contained entity, i.e., it has its own entrance/exit and its own registers. (It's probably similar to DevsMan84's description of the beer-selling Wegmans in NJ.) And you can only own one of these, so that's why only the one TJ's has wine as opposed to all six or seven that they have in the area.

Where do gas stations fall into this? In NJ, you cant sell liquor in gas stations but in NY/PA you can.

you can pick up the hooch at the Wegman's store and then buy it on the grocery store line. I'm making my own liqueurs with herbs and stuff and bought a 2 liter bottle of vodka and paid for it at check out with my juice boxes and granola bars -- I felt like one of those mommy drinking club ladies.

I'm going to check on their 6-pack thing on the way home I think. We just beer - I'll have to see what - so I probably won't actually buy anything... Unless I see something good!

Where do gas stations fall into this? In NJ, you cant sell liquor in gas stations but in NY/PA you can.

I don't know if I've ever seen liquor in gas stations in NY but I have seen beer. I think they fall under the same category as grocery stores.

I never noticed Shiner Bock until going to Texas for work for a couple weeks, but that's some decent stuff. Relatively easy to find too.

Then I saw their summer brew and decided to give it a try. It's a damndest thing I've ever seen. It's more soda than beer. It doesn't form a head, it just fizzes. Tastes like beer-flavored Ginger Ale. Extremely weird.

Dude where did you find Devil Dancer? None of the stores I called have it yet.

And what the hell store still has KBS?!?!

I, too, hope Baggy Spandex writes back to let us know where he got the Founders Devil Dancer and KBS.

Both I grabbed at my local beer-store. MASSIVE MASSIVE selection and everything is sold by the bottle. The KBS did have a 2 bottle limit per customer, as they're trying to be fair, and you don't ever see KBS in stores around these states. The also have bottles of Founders Cerise and Old Curmudgeon, as well as growler fills of Backwoods Bastard.

Halftime in Poughkeepsie NY if anyone was wondering. Absolutely a heaven for beer dudes. Both bottles were pretty pricey, but worth every single penny as I likely won't find them anywhere else around here. $6.49 or so for each.

95Crash, hope you liked the Union Jack. If so, I can highly recommend Double Jack. Same thing, but well, double everything lol. Awesome brew.

Edited by Baggy Spandex

Both I grabbed at my local beer-store. MASSIVE MASSIVE selection and everything is sold by the bottle. The KBS did have a 2 bottle limit per customer, as they're trying to be fair, and you don't ever see KBS in stores around these states. The also have bottles of Founders Cerise and Old Curmudgeon, as well as growler fills of Backwoods Bastard.

Halftime in Poughkeepsie NY if anyone was wondering. Absolutely a heaven for beer dudes. Both bottles were pretty pricey, but worth every single penny as I likely won't find them anywhere else around here. $6.49 or so for each.

95Crash, hope you liked the Union Jack. If so, I can highly recommend Double Jack. Same thing, but well, double everything lol. Awesome brew.

Ah I thought you were in New Jersey. I don't think anyone here got Devil Dancer yet. KBS was pretty easy to get a four pack of last year as long as you knew it was out and asked an employee to get one from the back. This year the two good beer stores by me had a one bottle limit. But both years you had to ask for it, they didn't put it on the shelves. That stuff came out like four months ago though, you're pretty lucky to have been able to pick some up this late.

Ah I thought you were in New Jersey. I don't think anyone here got Devil Dancer yet. KBS was pretty easy to get a four pack of last year as long as you knew it was out and asked an employee to get one from the back. This year the two good beer stores by me had a one bottle limit. But both years you had to ask for it, they didn't put it on the shelves. That stuff came out like four months ago though, you're pretty lucky to have been able to pick some up this late.

We get some great brews at this store. The guys running it really know a ton about beer and current brews that are trending or in high-demand. For example, they have every version of the Mikkeller Single-Hop series, all the Beer Geer stouts, Bruery Cuir, North Coast Old Stock Cellar Reserve etc... I'm good buddies with the ast. manager and he's very, very knowledgable about beer. If you guys are ever looking for anything that you can't get locally, especially during the season, shoot me an email and I'll see if they have it and if I can help.

I took these, admittedly horrible, cell pics a few years ago just to give an idea of their stock. Everything is sold as single if desired, and each aisle is broken up into 'regions' (USA, Great Britain, Belgium etc..)

IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0962.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

cd8f7f9e.jpg

Edited by Baggy Spandex

i just read about oak tree discount wines and spirits in south plainfield on beeradvocate. has anyone ever checked that place out? the reviews sound like its a little slice of beer heaven.

Yea that is one of my two go-to places, it is fantastic there. I got into craft beer buying a Stone Imperial Russian Stout and a Peche Mortel from them a little over two years ago. The guy working there told me I was jumping into the deep end with those but I bought them anyway and really enjoyed them. The Stone IRS is still one of my favorite beers. That guy was the most helpful beer guy around, I think Matt was his name. No matter what you were looking for he had a bunch of recommendations and would talk to you forever about beer. I haven't seen him in a long time so I don't think he works there anymore though.

We get some great brews at this store. The guys running it really know a ton about beer and current brews that are trending or in high-demand. For example, they have every version of the Mikkeller Single-Hop series, all the Beer Geer stouts, Bruery Cuir, North Coast Old Stock Cellar Reserve etc... I'm good buddies with the ast. manager and he's very, very knowledgable about beer. If you guys are ever looking for anything that you can't get locally, especially during the season, shoot me an email and I'll see if they have it and if I can help.

I took these, admittedly horrible, cell pics a few years ago just to give an idea of their stock. Everything is sold as single if desired, and each aisle is broken up into 'regions' (USA, Great Britain, Belgium etc..)

IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0962.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

cd8f7f9e.jpg

That place is STOCKED!

That place is STOCKED!

I can't praise it enough, Haha! And these photos only represent about 1/5th of their stock. I actually walked next door to the restaurant with my buddy, the assistant manager, and they just tapped a Green Flash West Coast IPA and Brooklyn Concoction. I remind myself every day how lucky I am to have this place locally.

He's hooked me up COUNTLESS amounts of times and I need to repay him somehow. His favorite brew is any vintage of Dechutes Mirror Mirror, but that stuff is hard as sh!t to get. I need to find at least a bottle of it for him. I mean, this is a guy that handed me a growler of Founders Double Trouble on the house.

Edited by Baggy Spandex

Joe Canals in Lawrence does this as well. Helped me find a lot of good ones, they also have nice on tap selection for growlers.

That place is STOCKED!

Dang, I am jealous!

Growlers are great problem is once you open it, you have to drink it quick (like within a few days) as they go skunky pretty quickly then.

Tonight I am going to Triumph in New Hope as they have their Raspberry Wheat on tap now. LAst year the stuff only lasted 9 days and it just went on tap on Tuesday afternoon. They are predicting that they will run out of it by about Monday. I will be getting a growler of this limited stuff. The thing that makes this one cool is that this is actually red in color. I am not talking like a red ale or lager, this is like a red/pinkish color and doesnt even look like you are drinking beer. It looks gay as hell but to hell with that.

Edit: Added a pic of it. Left is unfinished product. Right side is finished, out of the tap product.post-3795-0-39089400-1310650096_thumb.jp

Edited by DevsMan84

:unsure:

OK now I feel like a slob. IMO - you have to finish a growler in one sitting. It's flat the next day. Not like a charming cask conditioned. You can't even get a growler at the Ship Inn - they just suck INSTANTLY.

We get cute growlers and refill them on our trip upstate here in Hudson: http://www.thespottydog.com/blog/?page_id=19 We always bring our pointers in too... they're allowed! and they're spotty dogs so it's good for business :lol: AND our daughter loves it there - they have tiny but cute children's section AND --- and art store in back...klap2.gif but I've already gotten chided here for that particular fetish of mine.

Rowdy -- do you go to Mahar's in Albany? They have a little hole in the wall in Castleton now. We go there and just hang. They're trying to retire and avoid customers. Beer and cribbage -- what could be better?

Edited by Pepperkorn

Rowdy -- do you go to Mahar's in Albany? They have a little hole in the wall in Castleton now. We go there and just hang. They're trying to retire and avoid customers. Beer and cribbage -- what could be better?

I'm not a bar person to begin with, but especially not Mahar's. It sounds like you've figured it out based on the one in Castleton, but they've got quite the reputation for being beer snobs in a bad way. As in if you're not an expert, don't bother going in unless you want to be treated like dirt.

DM84, this is right up your alley. I went to Philly this weekend with a friend. Hit up a few bars. Theres one really awesome bar, Manny Browns, that has about 100 different beers.

Anyway, I ordered The Lost Coast Brewery's Tangerine Wheat beer.....fantastic beer. It was amazing. The scent was a freshly peeled tangerine and it tasted like it also. It was an awesome summer beer to crack in the 90 degrees.

photo-6-e1280887450236.jpg?w=448&h=597

My friend got a raspberry beer that I sipped and that was also great. I or he does not remember which beer that was.

Anyway, if you ever are in Philly, go to Manny Browns on South Street. Awesome food and beer selection.

http://manny-browns.com/index.php

Edited by Quinn01