That was a coaching loss!

DEV1LDR1VER

i'm amazed that they don't practice shootouts all season. in a short season every point counts and shootouts and 4 on 4s should have been practiced every day for grabbing the extra point. we are losing too many points on this stuff.

Yeah well barely anyone showed up for the optional skate today, so, you know.

i have no problem with them not practicing everyday since the season is densely packed and they need the rest but when they do practice, they should have practiced shootouts and 4on4 overtimes. it's too late now but i guess some practice is better than none to make sure we get any close ones.

i have no problem with them not practicing everyday since the season is densely packed and they need the rest but when they do practice, they should have practiced shootouts and 4on4 overtimes. it's too late now but i guess some practice is better than none to make sure we get any close ones.

The optional skates aren't like balls to the wall. Plus it's a little disconcerting hearing Marty say last night they need to practice the shootout more. In addition Patty and Zajac's shootout attempts were god-awful.

Edited by CarpathianForest

The optional skates aren't like balls to the wall. Plus it's a little disconcerting hearing Marty say last night they need to practice the shootout more. In addition Patty and Zajac's shootout attempts were god-awful.

pattys shoot out attempt really infuriated me, it was totally pathetic it looked like he didnt know what to do and confused himself so he just drove it right up nice and slow and allowed the poke check... total crap.

They were obscenely GOOD in shoot outs last year. Losing Parise hurts, but imho shoot outs are all about luck. I'd rather not waste too much time practicing them. 4 on 4 is a different story. We take too many penalties, and never seem to control the 4 on 4 well. Even when we're generating chances and the attack is buzzing, we always seem to yield a good counter.

I'm starting to think that PDB is a great X & O coach. He knows his systems, can match up etc etc but in terms of managing personnel, who to put on the ice and what said player is best fitted to...not so sure. Some of his recent lineups just make me wonder what the hell he is thinking/seeing.

They were obscenely GOOD in shoot outs last year. Losing Parise hurts, but imho shoot outs are all about luck. I'd rather not waste too much time practicing them. 4 on 4 is a different story. We take too many penalties, and never seem to control the 4 on 4 well. Even when we're generating chances and the attack is buzzing, we always seem to yield a good counter.

Anybody who bitches about the Devils' shootout issues needs to realize how incredibly good the Devils been at them since shootouts were implemented.  56-35 all-time, and that INCLUDES this year's 2-6 record.  They've also been blessed with terrific shooting (40.7% lifetime...no other team is above 38.1%).  Going into this season, not one other NHL team was in the Devils' league, as far as shootout prowess goes, save for Pittsburgh (winning% in shootouts is now better than the Devils, but no team has won more shootouts than the Devils).

Much as it sucks, the bounces were going to start to go the other way eventually...having two aging goalies can't help much either. 

But last year, the Devils went 12-4 with a ridiculous 57.1% shooting% in shootouts, and there was still bitching on these boards when the Devils dared to lose a shootout here and there.  Apparently they should've gone 16-0. 

Easy to take the shootout proficiency for granted, but unfortunately, since no one is going to sign good shootout guys for the sake of winning shootouts, you hope that your top players happen to be good at it.  The Devils had some luck in that regard, especially since Kovy improved exponentially at it since coming here.  Looks like the luck is finally changing.   

What 76 said.  Hearing fans complain about shootout choices, both the coaches' decision on who to send out, and the players' decision to shoot, deke, etc. - the worst.  

NJ has also been one of the best 4 on 4 overtime teams.  Basically the reason NJ won divisions and wasn't fighting for playoff spots between 2005-06 and 2011-12 was their prowess at both of these things, and it's hard to attribute that to mere skill.

Anybody who bitches about the Devils' shootout issues needs to realize how incredibly good the Devils been at them since shootouts were implemented.  56-35 all-time, and that INCLUDES this year's 2-6 record.  They've also been blessed with terrific shooting (40.7% lifetime...no other team is above 38.1%).  Going into this season, not one other NHL team was in the Devils' league, as far as shootout prowess goes, save for Pittsburgh (winning% in shootouts is now better than the Devils, but no team has won more shootouts than the Devils).

Much as it sucks, the bounces were going to start to go the other way eventually...having two aging goalies can't help much either. 

But last year, the Devils went 12-4 with a ridiculous 57.1% shooting% in shootouts, and there was still bitching on these boards when the Devils dared to lose a shootout here and there.  Apparently they should've gone 16-0. 

Easy to take the shootout proficiency for granted, but unfortunately, since no one is going to sign good shootout guys for the sake of winning shootouts, you hope that your top players happen to be good at it.  The Devils had some luck in that regard, especially since Kovy improved exponentially at it since coming here.  Looks like the luck is finally changing.   

even though thats kinda true, i wouldnt blame luck. Our guys are not getting it done. Shooting wide and trying to deke and ending up on the side of the net by the time they try a shot... some SO attempts this year were pathetic.

SD:  you're misinterpreting my use of the word "luck" here.  I'm not referring to Devils' shooters being unlucky in shootouts...you are right, in that some of the moves they are trying to make have been pretty bad.  It's like I said in my post...to be good at the shootout, you need your top players to be good at it, and then hopefully a random body or two that you might not expect to be (like Viktor Kozlov was).  Last year, it was great for the Devils that Kovalchuk and Parise were so damned good (they combined for 19 goals on 30 shots...that's outrageous), but it's not like either player would've been in danger of losing his job on the ice if he WASN'T so good in shootouts.  That's where the luck factors in...no GM is going to build a team to be good at the shootout.  In Kovy's case, the Devils were doubly lucky, in that he hadn't been nearly as good at it previously as he was last season. 

Elias went 6 for 12 last season...so on 42 attempts, the top three Devils combined for 25 goals. That's 59.5%, and insanely proficient. 

To put it very simply:  the Devils up until this season were awesome in the shootout...but not by any particular design on Lou's part.  Everything just lined up right for them to be. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

who cares about the shoot outs we are winning games and then blow leads in the last 30 seconds.. unacceptable...  its like the Carolina series all over again...

People care because the Devils used to be better than everyone in getting that extra point come shootout time, which helps to cover up ills.  For the first time, they're not.  Look at it this way:  if the Devils are having their typical shootout success, they're 5-3 or 6-2 in shootouts this season, instead of 2-6.  So instead of 15-11-9, they're 18-11-6 or 19-11-5.  The record suddenly looks a whole lot better, even though it's just a silly skills competition that would make the Devils suddenly appear to be so much better than they've really been.