Do you think there is any truth that

LucifersDog

the team plays better in front of Hedberg rather than Marty? Marty seems to be playing well but the team isn't performing while he is in goal his record for the past 5 games is 0-4-1 Hedberg who has been warming the pine board comes in and the team plays maybe the only full 60 minute game very well. Just interested in your thoughts.

Perhaps in a small enough sample size, sure. The team really wants to win one for moose once in a while.

But that novelty, assuming it exists, would probably wear off pretty quickly if he started every other game or something

I don't buy it. I don't think the Devs are playing better in front of Hedberg to win him some games. It just how things are breaking for Hedberg, and Brodeur losing his ability to carry the team and becoming more of a serviceable goalie now rather than a gamebreaker.

I think it's more coincidence than anything else. Like DD56 said, not so long ago they'd gone 7-1-1 in front of Marty.

o come onnnn.. you cant honestly believe that the Devils just didn't want to play yesterday. we had several shots ring off the post. we had to kill like 7 penalties to the islanders 2.. and its not like we were very outmatched in any of the stat categories that game. MAYBE you can suggest something like this if we were completely blow out, but that is not at all the case.

if you guys are suggesting that this team cant play for the biggest legacy of this franchise you are out of your minds. what a dumb suggestion, i am sorry

Tried to take a quick look at the numbers. Mind you, this was quick and didn't take into account shootout gimmes or anything like that.

Hedberg:

20 starts

65 goals-for in those starts

3.25 goals-for/game

Brodeur:

45 starts

115 goals-for in those starts

2.56 goals-for/game

I hate to throw gas on what I would have originally guessed is a made-up fire, but the numbers seem to back it up.

Or Moose got to start against the Capitals on Friday night. A team in such locker room disarray that the 1962 Mets in their present form could beat.

Devils only have 1 back-to-back and 3 in 4 this season. I see the afternoon Islanders game being more of a product of that than anything else.

I hate to throw gas on what I would have originally guessed is a made-up fire, but the numbers seem to back it up.

You have to look at the goal scoring stats in losses.. as that's where the grievance of this thread lies. Who cares if we win a 2-1 game, so long as we win. ;)

I think people seem to have a short-term memory when it comes to Brodeur's stats this season, based on the last 2 games where we got shutout and Marty only allowed 1 goal.

Marty's got 22 wins, and 20 losses this season. His GAA in losses is 3.34

..I know the MB30 ra-ra unit has been screaming foul since the Ranger\Islander games, that we left Marty out to dry (and they're 100% right to complain about those games) but I feel there's a bit too much focus on 2 games out of 20. Based on Brodeur's GAA in losses, the offense doesn't just have to score 2 or 3 to win.. they need to score 4 or 5.

I was at the game in January against the Bruins, and heard fans complain first hand; that the "offense lost the game for us.. we only scored 1 goal.. gotta score more." :blahblah:

..the game was 6-1. Even if we scored 5, it wouldn't have been enough.

Edited by Beezer34
  • Like 2

So when the Devils went 23-8-3 with Marty starting a majority of the games, they weren't playing for him then?

And yeah the Caps were the 'only' team we played during this six-game stretch that didn't compete at all, that has nothing to do with who's in net.

Edited by NJDevs4978

personally i think brodeur has to work a lot harder now and was spoiled a bit in the beginning. the '94 team had 3 hall of fame defenders (fetisov, stevens, niedermayer)

i remember last year one of the analysts on the nhl network said that its not brodeur's fault, it's the defense in front of him. he said if you put brodeur in detroit, he would have better stats

The only difference that i see is that sometimes... Actually lets make this EVERYTIMES the puck goes behind the net, even if theres 2 defenders near about to pick it up Marty is going to leave his net to go at least "touch" the puck... Even if its just slowing it down or stop it eventho it was about to stop.. He absolutely has to play it eventhough its absolutly useless and probaby fvcking around with what our dman had in mind in first place...

I dont mind when theres no one around and that hes actually making a pass or something..hes the best at it... But when hes doing it just for the sake of doing it its pissing me off

You have to look at the goal scoring stats in losses.. as that's where the grievance of this thread lies. Who cares if we win a 2-1 game, so long as we win. ;)

For the sake of continuing to play devil's advocate ...

Herberg:

9 losses

19 goals-for in those losses

2.11 goals-for per game

Brodeur:

20 losses

28 goals-for in those losses

1.40 goals-for per game

I think people seem to have a short-term memory when it comes to Brodeur's stats this season, based on the last 2 games where we got shutout and Marty only allowed 1 goal.

Marty's got 22 wins, and 20 losses this season. His GAA in losses is 3.34

..I know the MB30 ra-ra unit has been screaming foul since the Ranger\Islander games, that we left Marty out to dry (and they're 100% right to complain about those games) but I feel there's a bit too much focus on 2 games out of 20. Based on Brodeur's GAA in losses, the offense doesn't just have to score 2 or 3 to win.. they need to score 4 or 5.

To be fair, Hedberg's GAA in losses is 3.28.