GDT: Devils @ fishsticks 3/29/14 @ 7pm

lazer

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First let's get this out of the way: None of ya'll could score on 30 attempts. 500? Maybe if they are consecutive.

Next, I can understand the disappointment of fans this season. I personally am not disappointed because I have not been mentally shooting for the playoffs for 10 games now. But I think where a lot of you are coming from is that the team has been given all of the chances to get back in it possible and they just won't do it. They don't even get moderately closer; just been hanging on the end of the thread for awhile now. We go through all the energy of getting the OOT scores set and then the Devils fvck up. It would be much easier to be 10 points out right now. 

I think the one thing that a lot of the posters on here need to come to accept by now is that this is not such a great team we have; not so skilled, not so fast, and quite old. 

Schneider has allowed exactly 1 goal in 11 starts this season. Devils have lost 5 of them.

The Devils have been bad with this in general. Both Marty and Cory have lost 2 games each in regulation when only allowing 1 goal. Marty has allowed exactly 1 goal in 9 starts this season and the Devils have lost 3 of them.

(Overall: 8 losses in 20 starts = .400)

I compared these numbers to goalies on all teams with similar records (within 3 points of NJ):

Ottawa:

Craig Anderson has allowed exactly 1 goal in 4 starts this season. The Sens won all 4 of those games.

Robin Lehner has allowed exactly 1 goal in 4 starts this season. The Sens lost 2 of those games. 0 in regulation.

(Overall: 2 losses in 8 starts = .250)

Vancouver:

Eddie Lack has allowed exactly 1 goal in 8 starts this season. The Canucks lost 5 of those games. 4 in regulation.

Roberto Luongo (only including pre-Florida trade) has allowed exactly 1 goal in 3 starts this season. The Canucks won all 3 games.

(Overall: 5 losses in 11 starts = .455)

Carolina:

Anton Khudobin has allowed exactly 1 goal in 6 starts this season. The Hurricanes have won all 6 of these games.

Cam Ward has allowed exactly 1 goal in 3 starts this season. The Hurricanes lost 1 of those games. 0 in regulation.

Justin Peters has allowed exactly 1 goal in 5 starts this season. The Hurricanes lost 1 of those games and it was in regulation.

(Overall: 2 losses in 14 starts = .143)

Nashville:

Carter Hutton has allowed exactly 1 goal in 7 starts this season. The Preds won all 7 of those games.

Pekka Rinne has allowed exactly 1 goal in 4 starts this season. The Preds lost 3 of those games. 2 in regulation.

Marek Mazanec has allowed exactly 1 goal in 1 start this season. That Preds lost that game. It was not in regulation.

(Overall: 4 losses in 12 starts = .333)

Winnipeg:

Ondrej Pavelec has allowed exactly 1 goal in 6 starts this season. The Jets lost 1 of those games in regulation.

Al Montoya has allowed exactly 1 goal in 4 starts this season. The Jets won all 4 games.

(Overall: 1 loss in 10 starts = .100)

Toronto:

Jonathan Bernier has allowed exactly 1 goal in 7 starts this season. The Leafs lost 2 of those games. 0 in regulation.

James Reimer has allowed exactly 1 goal in 4 starts this season. The Leafs won all 4 of these games.

(Overall: 2 losses in 11 starts =  .182)

Washington:

Braden Holtby has allowed exactly 1 goal in 4 starts this season. The Caps lost 1 of those games. 0 in regulation.

Philip Grubauer has allowed exactly 1 goal in 4 starts this season. The Caps lost 3 of those games (poor kid). 0 in regulation.

Michael Neuvirth (only including pre-Buffalo trade) has allowed exactly 1 goal in 1 start this season. The Caps lost that game in regulation.

Jaroslav Halak (only including post-Wash trade) has allowed exactly 1 goal in 1 start this season. The Caps lost that game, not in regulation.

(Overall: 6 losses in 10 starts = .600)

Conclusion: Of all 7 of these teams only 2 of them, Vancouver and Washington, have done worse in 1 GA games than the Devils. However, the Devils have had about double the 1 GA games than both of those teams (actually than all the teams in comparison - just to show you how good the Devils D has been this year). That said, Eddie Lack has had it worse than anyone, getting 4 regulation losses and 1 OT loss in 8 single-goal allowed games. Rinne has also had it pretty bad, followed by Grubauer. 

Bonus: I also checked out Buffalo's numbers just for fun because they are the worst team in the league (by far) and the only team to have scored less than the Devils (also by far).

Buffalo:

Ryan Miller (only including pre-STL trade) has allowed exactly 1 goal in 7 starts this season. Buffalo lost 1 of those games, and in regulation.

Jhonas Enroth has allowed exactly 1 goal in 4 starts this season. Buffalo lost 2 of those games. 0 in regulation.

Matt Hackett has allowed exactly 1 goal in 1 start this season. Buffalo won that game.

(Overall: 3 losses in 12 starts = .250)

Yes! You heard it first here folks! Buffalo is better at supporting their goalies' 1 goal games than we are.

Edited by Neb00rs

I'm sick of Jagr not going in these shoot outs. You have over 700 career goals, you can score on breakaways. Man the fvck up and take a chance. fvcking annoying.

He has gone for a few, he sucks at it. It doesn't matter who we use at this point.

whats the silver lining here please someone

Silver Lining is Adam Henrique, he is really developing into a great player. 25 goals for a guy that is very good defensively and is really fvcking good on the PK and essentially most all facets of the game. And it's not like his goals are fluky either or coming in the form of empty netters like Clarkson in his 30 goal year. He's really shown us he can be the parise replacement that some people thought he would be.

Right now he's our most prized possession, and even though he's not elite its not the devils way to get a guy like Ovechkin who's first in the NHL in goals and 2nd the last in +/- rating ( which is actually hilarious, given how many goals hes scored he might as well be on the ice for the vast majority of the caps goals against).

Edited by Sneax

Silver Lining is Adam Henrique, he is really developing into a great player. 25 goals for a guy that is very good defensively and is really fvcking good on the PK and essentially most all facets of the game. And it's not like his goals are fluky either or coming in the form of empty netters like Clarkson in his 30 goal year. He's really shown us he can be the parise replacement that some people thought he would be.

This is a topic for another day, but whilst it's great that Henrique is a 25-30 goal scorer when this season is done, I don't think he'll top this season in his career unless he changes his game (ie bulk shooter). Parise had 4 30+ and 1 40+ season for the Devils. Henrique won't come close to that

This is a topic for another day, but whilst it's great that Henrique is a 25-30 goal scorer when this season is done, I don't think he'll top this season in his career unless he changes his game (ie bulk shooter). Parise had 4 30+ and 1 40+ season for the Devils. Henrique won't come close to that

Pretty sure parise was getting top 6 minutes in those years.

Henrique has played mostly on the 3rd line, with our 3rd line talent.

Pretty sure parise was getting top 6 minutes in those years.

Henrique has played mostly on the 3rd line, with our 3rd line talent.

True, but they are very different players. Parise is a bulk shooter - he has 3.8 S/60 in 20 mins ice time, whilst Henrique gets 1.8 S/60 in ~17 minutes of ice time. Henrique didn't have 2 SOG/game even when he played with Kovalchuk and Parise. Not saying he did anything wrong by perhaps deferring to them - it's just how it is, he's not a guy who shoots a lot.

Henrique is having a great year, probably a career year, but he's not a player who can sustain a high shooting percentage (18.4% this year, 12-14% previous years) like a Stamkos. Next year I'd expect 20, not 30.

How are sure? He's putting up between 25-30,this year. Who's to say he won't average that or maybe even out up more (Pavelski like this). Point being, we can speculate that he will have this or that, but let's not throw away the thought of him doing this over again. 25 for next year seems about right for him. Screw Parise, we have Henrique! year

True, but they are very different players. Parise is a bulk shooter - he has 3.8 S/60 in 20 mins ice time, whilst Henrique gets 1.8 S/60 in ~17 minutes of ice time. Henrique didn't have 2 SOG/game even when he played with Kovalchuk and Parise. Not saying he did anything wrong by perhaps deferring to them - it's just how it is, he's not a guy who shoots a lot.

Henrique is having a great year, probably a career year, but he's not a player who can sustain a high shooting percentage (18.4% this year, 12-14% previous years) like a Stamkos. Next year I'd expect 20, not 30.

How are sure? He's putting up between 25-30,this year. Who's to say he won't average that or maybe even out up more (Pavelski like this). Point being, we can speculate that he will have this or that, but let's not throw away the thought of him doing this over again. 25 for next year seems about right for him. Screw Parise, we have Henrique! year

Do I have to put up a disclaimer saying "I am not from the future, I don't know this for certain!"? For fvcks sake...

I think it's unlikely that he does it, because of what I mentioned above. Furthermore, I think it's quite unlikely that he does a Pavelski, unless you plan on acquiring Joe Thornton and sticking Henrique on his wing. Because that's what happened to Pavelski. He went from being 2C to playing Jumbo's wing. Ask Jonathan Cheechoo what that can do for your goalscoring.

I think 25 will be henriques number.

Do I have to put up a disclaimer saying "I am not from the future, I don't know this for certain!"? For fvcks sake...

I think it's unlikely that he does it, because of what I mentioned above. Furthermore, I think it's quite unlikely that he does a Pavelski, unless you plan on acquiring Joe Thornton and sticking Henrique on his wing. Because that's what happened to Pavelski. He went from being 2C to playing Jumbo's wing. Ask Jonathan Cheechoo what that can do for your goalscoring.