Bernier's dive

skullsmasher

This is just plain embarrassing. The thing that has separated us from teams like Pittsburgh and Philadelphia is that we have always played the game with class. Up until this point I cant remember too many dives from devils players which I am happy about but this one was a doozy. This is exactly what Carcillo did against us in 2010. CARCILLO. There is no need for this in the sport, if I wanted to see something like this I could have went back and watched the 4/5 matchup from round 1. I appreciate the effort Bernier has put forth so far, and am extremely pleased with th overall performance of our fourth line but if he is going to do crap like that then I want him gone.

• Like 1

This is just plain embarrassing. The thing that has separated us from teams like Pittsburgh and Philadelphia is that we have always played the game with class. Up until this point I cant remember too many dives from devils players which I am happy about but this one was a doozy. This is exactly what Carcillo did against us in 2010. CARCILLO. There is no need for this in the sport, if I wanted to see something like this I could have went back and watched the 4/5 matchup from round 1. I appreciate the effort Bernier has put forth so far, and am extremely pleased with th overall performance of our fourth line but if he is going to do crap like that then I want him gone.

Only problem with your thesis is that he got hit in the helmet/visor with the stick and it was clear as day on one of the replays.

• Like 1

I think it was an instinct reaction. He got hit in the helmet and thought the stick touched his face. Maybe he played a little when he went to the bench and started touching his face, but maybe it was because the ref had already called the penalty and it would've been bad to just skate to the bench and sit as if nothing happened after his initial reaction.

• Like 1

Seems like not too many here actually play hockey or have been in a similar situation.

When a stick comes up that close to your face, that's an instinct reaction. He reflexes like he was hit but afterwards he doesn't fall to the ice in agony and try to sell it. He doesn't dive. Instead, he goes to the bench to get checked out. You can even see him checking his hand; checking to see what the damage was. What is the problem with this call? A reaction to a stick to the face is only justified if there's blood spewing all over the ice?

Edited by SegaDevil
  • Like 1

Seems like not too many here actually play hockey or have been in a similar situation.

When a stick comes up that close to your face, that's an instinct reaction. He reflexes like he was hit but afterwards he doesn't fall to the ice in agony and try to sell it. He doesn't dive. Instead, he goes to the bench to get checked out. You can even see him checking his hand; checking to see what the damage was. What is the problem with this call? A reaction to a stick to the face is only justified if there's blood spewing all over the ice?

This, pretty much. If a stick clips you in the visor, you'll throw your head back in fear or out of instinct.

• Like 1

Only problem with your thesis is that he got hit in the helmet/visor with the stick and it was clear as day on one of the replays.

I didn't see him get touched 'at all' on the NBC replays, and I rewatched the entire game, didn't even look like it hit his visor. I can't blame Pierre and Olcyzk for getting indignant but Pierre does have some nerve saying Zajac getting slashed and it not getting called was hockey karma. How about Elias nearly getting taken out by Staal with no call, or Prust's acting job when Harrold touched him? Where was their indignance when the Rangers were pulling **** left and right earlier this series?

Either way you just don't do stuff like that, the refs will stick it to you down the road. We got it up the butt for weeks after Sykora pulled his little stunt early in the season. I'd love for someone to post a replay showing Bernier was hit, cause then I'll buy the hypothesis in this thread...that looked bad though.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I think it was an instinct reaction. He got hit in the helmet and thought the stick touched his face. Maybe he played a little when he went to the bench and started touching his face, but maybe it was because the ref had already called the penalty and it would've been bad to just skate to the bench and sit as if nothing happened after his initial reaction.

I agree with this summary.....

I don't think he was doing it just to sell the penalty, the stick was centimeters from nailing him in the face.

Bernier flopped and it wasn't pretty. Funny there hasn't been a thread about Clarkson leaving. He flops at least once per game.

Clarkson doesn't flop, he has two left skates and falls constantly. He falls when there's nobody within ten feet of him. And he'll never draw a penalty call because of it.

LOL at this whole idea. I can't recall this player doing anything like this before. . There was definitely contact, a reflex, and then a slight sell job at the bench.

Even if he did do that, is it really as bad as trying to physically injure players with cheap shots like Staal and Prust did, never mind Rupp's nonsense? At least embelishments don't hurt anyone. And if you do it too many times you get put in the refs' black book anyway.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Looking at the initial view in slow mo looks like it may have clipped him, but the view with bernier on the left looks like it didn't touch him at all. I understand the instinctual response when something comes that close to your face, but closing your eyes and moving your head back is the extent of the instinct portion of this. He overreacted; this acting job is good enough to land him in a broadway play. Even if it did hit his visor, which I still contest it didnt, he could have kept playing considering he didn't feel anything hit his face. This is hockey, not soccer. We can try to defend him all day but this was almost as bad as Carcillo in 2010.

I didn't see him get touched 'at all' on the NBC replays, and I rewatched the entire game, didn't even look like it hit his visor. I can't blame Pierre and Olcyzk for getting indignant but Pierre does have some nerve saying Zajac getting slashed and it not getting called was hockey karma. How about Elias nearly getting taken out by Staal with no call, or Prust's acting job when Harrold touched him? Where was their indignance when the Rangers were pulling **** left and right earlier this series?

Either way you just don't do stuff like that, the refs will stick it to you down the road. We got it up the butt for weeks after Sykora pulled his little stunt early in the season. I'd love for someone to post a replay showing Bernier was hit, cause then I'll buy the hypothesis in this thread...that looked bad though.

One of the angles in that video (if it's the game footage from NBC) shows him getting hit in the head/face with the stick, obviously on his helmet/visor.

I saw it right away during the game. I have a better vantage point watching on TV than Pierre does, let's put it that way.

how about the prust slash on Zajac. He was legit trying to break his forearm.

Yeah, that was an awesome make-up non-call. Freaking stupid. And I think the Rangers scored within the 2 (minimum) minutes Prust should have been in the box.

Woeful non-call and one that better be in the reviews when they decide who works the next round.

EXACTLY.

Let's cut the guy some slack. For anyone of you who has played hockey in your lives, you will agree that at times incidents like that are "reactionary" and that when the mere sight of a stick comes close to your face you go flailing. On the flip side of it, Zajac got hacked to pieces on the insuing powerplay and nothing was called.

Let's relax guys. It sure looks like Bernier embellished. The point is we don't do it any more than the average team and certainly not as much as "some" teams. We may even do it less than the average. As Devils fans we freak out with things like this because we have a morality complex in which we believe we are classier than other teams and can't accept it when we do something slightly dishonest. The OP must not watch a lot of hockey or falls into the former category if he thought this needed to be posted now, like it's some scandal ("an utter disgrace to hockey") - this happens every game, even with us. It's something you have to do a little in today's game. The only way to get rid of it, is to let the refs review everything and that's a whole other debate. Get over it, this embellishment is not that bad.

Edited by ben00rs

Let's relax guys. It sure looks like Bernier embellished. The point is we don't do it any more than the average team and certainly not as much as "some" teams. We may even do it less than the average. As Devils fans we freak out with things like this because we have a morality complex in which we believe we are classier than other teams and can't accept it when we do something slightly dishonest. The OP must not watch a lot of hockey or falls into the former category if he thought this needed to be posted now, like it's some scandal ("an utter disgrace to hockey") - this happens every game, even with us. It's something you have to do a little in today's game. The only way to get rid of it, is to let the refs review everything and that's a whole other debate. Get over it, this embellishment is not that bad.

2nd this! not an utter disgrace considering the rangers and flyers do it on a consistant basis. and as far as Im concerned the wack to zajac's wrist CLEARLY evened it out. so its REALLY A MOOT POINT. and yes the stick made contact imo based on the HD slo-mo of my remote. so by definition its a high stick

as far as clarkson, all of the above lol. he DOES get fouled but the refs just laugh it off because he does fall every 20 seconds, is always looking for the call, and does embellish

Edited by EdgeControl

I think the one replay shows Bernier does get hit with the stick and then it clips his visor. Something with an edge, like a hockey stick, just getting you can hurt more than a big whack, in the same way a paper cut hurts more than a medium punch to the arm.

I dont like it... Im glad the devils doesnt have too much divers and thats why eventho hes scoring a lot this year that i dont like clarkson. I find that our guys stay down a lot to get penalties and i dont like it either. I guess torts was a little right about that, sad to say