Devils extend radio deal with WFAN

RowdyFan42

http://devils.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=681236

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/devils_and_wfan_announce_multi-year_extension_of_radio_partnership/

TG's blog entry:

The Devils and WFAN Sports Radio 66 AM and 101.9 FM announced today the extension of their multi-year partnership, in which the CBS RADIO all-sports station will continue to broadcast the team’s regular and post-season games.

The joint announcement was made by Devils’ President/General Manager Lou Lamoriello and CBS RADIO New York Senior Vice President and Market Manager, Don Bouloukos.

Each broadcast will continue to include 15 minute pre-game and post-game shows surrounding every game.

The 2013-14 season will be the ninth straight year WFAN will serve as the Devils’ radio broadcast home. Matt Loughlin will enter his eighth season as the team’s play-by-play announcer, while Sherry Ross is in her seventh straight year as color commentator, after rejoining the organization in 2007-08.

This. A guy with a Devils tattoo should never be doing Rangers play-by-play.

I have to give him credit for being professional about it. If I didn't know better, I'd have no idea he was a Devils fan. Total pro.

I agree about LaGreca. They really need to get rid of Matt and Sherri. Listening to them is nothing short of torture. The one thing I miss about my satellite radio before I cancelled subscription was the ability to listen to the opposing teams broadcasting team.

I feel like Matt and Sherri are the John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman of hockey. Nothing gets worse than John and Suzyn when it comes to announcing but Matt and especially Sherri really try to give them a run for it. I hate that my 2 favorite sports teams have the worst radio announcers in the business.

I agree about LaGreca. They really need to get rid of Matt and Sherri. Listening to them is nothing short of torture. The one thing I miss about my satellite radio before I cancelled subscription was the ability to listen to the opposing teams broadcasting team.

Guess I'm in the minority in that I don't mind Sherry. Matt's good enough I guess.

At this point, if you're not Jon Sterling, I'm ok with you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeah Loughlin was fine as the pre and post-game TV host, but he sucks balls as a play-by-play guy. The sad thing is he's actually improved from when he first started and he's still terrible. 'HE SHOOTS (5 seconds of having no idea what just happened while Loughlin struggles to get the word 'and' out of his mouth) aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand a save by Brodeur'. I mean its just awful. I don't really mind Sherri, but Matt Loughlin is not a TV play-by-play guy, forget radio. He couldn't paint a word picture if his life depended on it.

Edited by MadDog2020

Btw, my twitter exchange with LaGreca from earlier this year.

@Serenitynow418: @DonLagreca will you ever do play-by-play for the #NJDevils? Or could you tell me, but have to kill me?

@DonLagreca: @Serenitynow418 would love to some day.

The worst part about Matt is that he hardly ever announces the fvcking score. I can be in my car listening on a lets say 10-15 mom ride and he won't say the score once unless a commercial is about to start. Every other radio play by play guy says it at least once every couple of minutes

Loughlin is absolutely atrocious at everything. He's horrible at describing the action, has no idea how to build suspense, doesn't describe what zone the puck is, does not have an appealing voice

"Now the Devils, move on in....send the puck in. Now back to...sends it to Zajac who drops...and now a shot right on and a shotandagoal!"

That's a typical Loughlin call.

Loughlin is absolutely atrocious at everything. He's horrible at describing the action, has no idea how to build suspense, doesn't describe what zone the puck is, does not have an appealing voice

"Now the Devils, move on in....send the puck in. Now back to...sends it to Zajac who drops...and now a shot right on and a shotandagoal!"

Rofl, this is spot on.

LaGreca is the man. He's such a big Devils fan and pretty much doesn't care about hiding it despite doing Rangers games. I know when Doc retired from being our PBP guy I tweeted Don saying that fans wanted him to be our new guy and he said he felt honored that we all thought of him

I like Matt. I think he's decent and I spent a lot of time listening to him in college when TCNJ only got regular MSG (so the Devils were basically never on it)

Count me in the minority too. I don't mind Sherry. When she's not talking about cats or horses her twitter feed is pretty hilarious. Her digs at the Rangers are awesome. At least we know she loves the Devils and New Jersey, unlike some other homer color commentators that just suck up to whatever team they're with, like Joe Micheletti.

Laughlin is the worst ever. It's a shame. I've met him and he's a really nice guy but just so in over his head. He's had two good goal calls in his career, Pando's game winner in that comeback on Kovy's first game and Henrique's game 6 winner.

I really dont listen to the games on radio much, but i overlook Matts shortcomings since he's such a nice guy the times I met him. And he has improved over the years, for whatever thats saying. The gm 6 clincher Henrique call is probably his finest moment.

Count me in the minority too. I don't mind Sherry. When she's not talking about cats or horses her twitter feed is pretty hilarious. Her digs at the Rangers are awesome. At least we know she loves the Devils and New Jersey, unlike some other homer color commentators that just suck up to whatever team they're with, like Joe Micheletti.

Laughlin is the worst ever. It's a shame. I've met him and he's a really nice guy but just so in over his head. He's had two good goal calls in his career, Pando's game winner in that comeback on Kovy's first game and Henrique's game 6 winner.

Sherry is awful. She provides no insight to the game at all and sometimes cannot shut up.

She is like a radio version of Chico but she doesn't get called out nearly as much. Honestly I think it is because she is a woman.

"Now the Devils, move on in....send the puck in. Now back to...sends it to Zajac who drops...and now a shot right on and a shotandagoal!"

This is hilariously accurate, so spot on. Drives me insane.

Sherry is awful. She provides no insight to the game at all and sometimes cannot shut up.

She is like a radio version of Chico but she doesn't get called out nearly as much. Honestly I think it is because she is a woman.

Agreed. Plus I never understood the point of having a color commentator who isn't a former NHL player.

They really are the sterling and waldman of hockey. Matt is so bad that sometimes you cant even tell someone scores unless you hear the horn in the background. He has no enthusiasm in his voice and when he does it sounds fake.

No one is worse than Sterling. As long as a PBP guy can give the basic information without being too irritating, it's all I need.

Sterling's canned calls are so gut curdling that I change the station when the team I'M ROOTING FOR wins the game or hits a home run. He actually ruins the experience of what ought to be an enjoyable moment.

No one is worse than Sterling. As long as a PBP guy can give the basic information without being too irritating, it's all I need. Sterling's canned calls are so gut curdling that I change the station when the team I'M ROOTING FOR wins the game or hits a home run. He actually ruins the experience of what ought to be an enjoyable moment. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My brother has an app on his phone that allows him to switch between radio feeds for teams. Whenever we get stuck with a Yankees game on the radio, we always switch over to the oppositions feed.

My brother has an app on his phone that allows him to switch between radio feeds for teams. Whenever we get stuck with a Yankees game on the radio, we always switch over to the oppositions feed.

Reminds me of a question someone asked Francessa, if he knew whether there was a way to tell whether more Yankees fans would listen to the Mets radio broadcast during the subway series in order not to have to listen to Sterling.

It's funny, you can tell that Francessa knows Sterling is terrible, but he has to tow the company line. He just says Sterling "isn't for everyone" and "all I can tell you is that the Yankees management loves him".

Edited by Daniel