Who would take back Clarkson (at a discounted rate)?

Neb00rs

And lets not forget, his 30 in 2011-12 were 3rd on the team behind Kovalchuk (37) and Parise (31). His 15 in 2012-13 made him number one on the team. 

Seeing as we don't have another 30 goal scorer, I see no basis for not taking him back IF they ate some of the contract as proposed. 

Dropping a one-time 30 goal scorer onto a team doesn't just add 30 goals to the team's total. We all see that with Ryder this year.

Dropping a one-time 30 goal scorer onto a team doesn't just add 30 goals to the team's total. We all see that with Ryder this year.

This. If his game filled a void on this team, year, take him. It doesn't. He's probably better than Ruutu, but not as much as we think, and they're not that much different. If they were paid similar amounts (Clarkie a little more, but not much) and we could get rid of Ruutu, maybe Clarkson would come in handy. As it is, though, it would be a move to make a move, or a sentimental ex-Devil signing, just like all the moves we've flamed Lou for in the past.

He scored almost all those 15 goals in the first half half of a half season, then disappeared.  By your logic then he is really a 60 goal scorer.  At most I would expect him to score 10-15 goals a season and we have plenty of guys who do that.  We need consistent 30+ goal scorers.

Lol. I don't consider Clarkson a 30 goal scorer (15-20) but this is one of the most ridiculous posts of the year. It makes absolutely no sense.

To get Clarkson back, the Leafs would have to pick up half the salary and NJ would have to trade them Clowe, picking up 40% of his salary, and this deal would have to happen after July 1 so that Clarkson's yearly bonus is paid out already by the Leafs.  That's the only way I consider it.

To get Clarkson back, the Leafs would have to pick up half the salary and NJ would have to trade them Clowe, picking up 40% of his salary, and this deal would have to happen after July 1 so that Clarkson's yearly bonus is paid out already by the Leafs.  That's the only way I consider it.

There you go, I'd do that.

face it we're stuck with clowe. and his horrid contract

At this point, I'd rather just have Clowe. He's slow, but a better skater, he can pass (on purpose, not on missed wraparounds) and he doesn't spend all game staring at the officials. He's also put of several 50 point seasons.

In a full 82 game season, he'd be on pace for 44 points this year, while Clarkson would be looking at around 17, and Clowe plays on an offensively inferior team. It looks like we already got the best of Clarkson.

How so?  Others seem to comprehend it fine.

Because you take the sample as is. You don't look for distribution throughout the sample. 30 goals scored in 82 games, all scored in the first 41 is the EXACT same thing as 30 goals scored throughout the season. That's the most basic rule of statistics. By your (non) logic Clarkson would not score 60 goals, he would score 30 goals in the first half of the season again. Which of course, also makes no sense statistically. 

Because you take the sample as is. You don't look for distribution throughout the sample. 30 goals scored in 82 games, all scored in the first 41 is the EXACT same thing as 30 goals scored throughout the season. That's the most basic rule of statistics. By your (non) logic Clarkson would not score 60 goals, he would score 30 goals in the first half of the season again. Which of course, also makes no sense statistically. 

And you would see I was being sarcastic and doing what you are trying to do to me to the original poster who was insisting that Clarkson is a 30-goal scorer.

But I still love you.

And you would see I was being sarcastic and doing what you are trying to do to me to the original poster who was insisting that Clarkson is a 30-goal scorer.

But I still love you.

Love you too Dman but I do understand what you meant.

I don't mean to say that you were serious about him being a 60 goal scorer, but that your assertion that HIS logic means Clarky would score 60, is illogical.

Love you too Dman but I do understand what you meant.

I don't mean to say that you were serious about him being a 60 goal scorer, but that your assertion that HIS logic means Clarky would score 60, is illogical.

In fact, if you were to adopt that theory, anyone who scores opening night is an 82 goal scorer, and if he drops in two, he is smashing all kinds of records. 

In fact, if you were to adopt that theory, anyone who scores opening night is an 82 goal scorer, and if he drops in two, he is smashing all kinds of records. 

Wrong. That's too small of a sample size. This is getting ridiculous, there's no argument here.

You mean, 15 goal scorer.

That 30 goal season was the definition of a fluke, to expect him to do it again is just wishful thinking.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Ah yes, but as not only a Devils but a NYJets fan, I am by definition a wishful thinker! How could I not be?

Wrong. That's too small of a sample size. This is getting ridiculous, there's no argument here.

As near as I can figure you guys are talking past each other. IOW, you're saying roughly the same things different ways.