Super Bowl!!

CRASHER

... sorry been pretty sick all weekend (all I will say is it's a stomach thing and I have wayyy too close and personal a relationship with the toilet all weekend :P).... but this game is the big one... and the last of the football... until September :evilcry: :evilcry:

So here's my short version....

I like the Saints... alot... I think the pressure is big on Indy... and no Freeney is a killer loss... the Saints have better balance on offense and two x-factor guys in Reggie Bush and Darren Sharper who can change the game for them... I think the whole pressure of the legacy and Manning climbing the hill to become an all-time great is too much (and make no bones about it... Manning dominates today and NO ONE can say anything bad about him anymore.... but I don't think he's gonna do it)... should be a helluva game though... and the weather will be good... enjoy the game and the commericals!!

I'm rooting for the Saints tonight, I think they'll be able to pull it off. What kinda sucks is I have to pay close attention to the commercials for my AP English Language class tomorrow for a discussion...I really don't think its possible to break down "Too Light/Too Heavy" into an academic discussion, but we're gonna try, damn it! :lol:

I'm rooting for the Saints tonight, I think they'll be able to pull it off. What kinda sucks is I have to pay close attention to the commercials for my AP English Language class tomorrow for a discussion...I really don't think its possible to break down "Too Light/Too Heavy" into an academic discussion, but we're gonna try, damn it! :lol:

I had a similar assignment last year for a sports marketing class. Was fine by me, I watched the commercials and ate and talked during the game (can't stand either the Steelers or the Cardinals).

Official prediction:

30-24 Colts.

Holy avatar change batman.

Lets geaux saints.

Yeah really. I don't think I've witnessed CRASHER ever change his avatar. I'm so used to looking at Bill Clement's press-pass, or whatever that was.

Anyway, congrats to the Saints, New Orleans deserved a championship.

Edited by nmigliore

With numbers like that, I kinda figured Brees would be MVP, but if they could give it to a coaching staff, Payton would have won it hands down. A masterfully (if not gutsy) coached game. Caldwell's staff didn't adjust after the second half, and that end of half play selection (run, run, run, punt) was atrocious. This was a fun game to watch, as the first team to make a bone-crushing mistake would lose, and it turned out to be the Colts.

But I agree that, in a week, we'll forget the actual game. Only real Holy Cow moment in the game was the Porter interception. But when two teams play about as mistake free as a team can (even the pick was really a better play by Porter to jump the route than it was a mistake) then the Superbowl won't be all that memorable.

One of the best Super Bowls I've seen. A lot of Super Bowls (especially in the last decade or so) have had drama in the last couple minutes, but this one was back and forth all night long. Great game. And instead of the last-minute, game-winning drive, we had the defense step up two times in a row against one of the game's finest quarterbacks. Just outstanding.

Also outstanding: the Snickers commercial with Betty White, the Letterman commercial, and the Doritos commercial with the little kid smacking the guy trying to date his mom.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod

The only thing that will spur conversations about this game is how once again Peyton Manning had a chance to cement himself

amongst the true great and legendary qb's in NFL history and instead of rising and delivered he gets picked for six and his

reputation for being soft and NOT the guy who can get it done comes to the forefront.....that's something to discuss...

The funniest part I was in the middle of saying to mccabe how manning has more pressure on him now then Brady did against the

giants and *wham* intercepted!!!

Here's something that I find interesting. When it comes to late Super Bowl drives with the game on the line over the last three years, Brady and Peyton both failed while Eli and Roethlisberger succeeded. But Brady and Peyton were both in the playoffs this year while Eli and Roethlisberger weren't.

People are quick to canonize certain quarterbacks but it's important to keep things in perspective. As was mentioned before, Brady came up short two Super Bowls ago. Montana's famous drive against the Bengals never woulda happened if Lewis Billups held on to the interception in the end zone Cool Joe practically handed him on the game-tying drive. If Peyton had similar luck, maybe he's holding his second Lombardi trophy right now.

IMO the real story isn't whether or not Peyton came up short. It's the flaw in the Colts' philosophy of tanking. Tanking the last two games of the regular season only should have been considered a success if the team won the Super Bowl. They didn't. And they tanked the last drive of the first half expecting to get the ball at the start of the second. They didn't. The Colts, more than anything else, proved that you can't ever relax in the NFL. You can't take a single game ... hell, you can't take a single play off. The season is too short, the playoffs are too unforgiving and each play's importance is too magnified. You've gotta go balls to the wall the whole time. And quite frankly, I'm really happy to see that their philosophy failed.

Mind you I'm a very casual football fan, but I really thought yesterdays game was an exciting one. Like DiG said, it was back and forth the whole way and the good guys won in the end, so it was all good for me.

Also, the commercials ranged from decent to ultra-lame with a few standouts. My favs included:

1) The Google commerical with the "lifecycle of a relationship via Google searches" angle.

2) The screaming chickens

3) The Doritos commercials with the kid slapping the guy as well as the two guys in the gym.

4) The commercials with the guys shooping with his girlfriend...I think it was for FloTV.

5) The Dodge Charger commercial with all the "guy manifestos"...I will close the lid, I will watch your girlie vampire shows with you, etc, etc.

Oh, and I thought the Who was barely decent. Muscially, they still have it but Roger Daltry's voice is gone and he was a half beat late for a good portion of the show. No halftime show will ever trump Prince from a few years ago...now that was awesome!

Here's something that I find interesting. When it comes to late Super Bowl drives with the game on the line over the last three years, Brady and Peyton both failed while Eli and Roethlisberger succeeded. But Brady and Peyton were both in the playoffs this year while Eli and Roethlisberger weren't.

People are quick to canonize certain quarterbacks but it's important to keep things in perspective. As was mentioned before, Brady came up short two Super Bowls ago. Montana's famous drive against the Bengals never woulda happened if Lewis Billups held on to the interception in the end zone Cool Joe practically handed him on the game-tying drive. If Peyton had similar luck, maybe he's holding his second Lombardi trophy right now.

IMO the real story isn't whether or not Peyton came up short. It's the flaw in the Colts' philosophy of tanking. Tanking the last two games of the regular season only should have been considered a success if the team won the Super Bowl. They didn't. And they tanked the last drive of the first half expecting to get the ball at the start of the second. They didn't. The Colts, more than anything else, proved that you can't ever relax in the NFL. You can't take a single game ... hell, you can't take a single play off. The season is too short, the playoffs are too unforgiving and each play's importance is too magnified. You've gotta go balls to the wall the whole time. And quite frankly, I'm really happy to see that their philosophy failed.

Brady didn't come up short. He scored a go-ahead TD to moss with under 3 minutes left, which was answered by an amazing drive by Eli. Brady was given less than 30 seconds to tie the game and on the first play got sacked hard for a loss of ten. The Giants blitzed right up the middle unblocked and no QB in the world would have had a chance to get out of the way. At that point the game was over. Even without the sack, asking any QB to drive the field in under 30 seconds is a little ridiculous.

Manning failed, Brady didn't.

Edited by devilsrule33

Manning is a playoff choke artist. 9-9 is average at best considering some of the teams he's played for havent been all that bad. He has 1 superbowl against big bad Rex Grossman WOW. In a big game in the playoffs I'd take Brady, Big Ben, Brees, or even Eli before Manning. He's the greatest regular season QB of all time and an absolute choke in the playoffs.

As for ESPN piling on Reggie Wayne all morning what could the guy really have done? Manning focused on him from the snap and it just made jumping the route ridiculously easy. I hate how everyone is so afraid to criticize his holy masterfulness peyton manning just because of what he does during the regular season.

And as for Tony Dungy and his predictions.... well... all I can do is sit back smile and laugh.

Saints for one night haha I loved ya.

Brady didn't come up short. He scored a go-ahead TD to moss with under 3 minutes left, which was answered by an amazing drive by Eli. Brady was given less than 30 seconds to tie the game and on the first play got sacked hard for a loss of ten. The Giants blitzed right up the middle unblocked and no QB in the world would have had a chance to get out of the way. At that point the game was over. Even without the sack, asking any QB to drive the field in under 30 seconds is a little ridiculous.

Manning failed, Brady didn't.

Maybe saying he failed is a stretch. But he wasn't facing the impossible task you paint it to be. Consider:

- In Brady's first Super Bowl, he had 1:30 and no timeouts to get the team within field goal range. He did it.

- In Brady's second Super Bowl, he had 1:04 and all three timeouts to get the team within field goal range. He did it.

- In Brady's fourth Super Bowl, he had :29 and all three timeouts to get the team within field goal range. He lost ten yards.

Highly improbable? You better believe it. But it wasn't outside the realm of possibility.

And as for Reggie Wayne, did he look like Todd Pinkston on that last pass or what?

Manning is a playoff choke artist. 9-9 is average at best considering some of the teams he's played for havent been all that bad. He has 1 superbowl against big bad Rex Grossman WOW. In a big game in the playoffs I'd take Brady, Big Ben, Brees, or even Eli before Manning. He's the greatest regular season QB of all time and an absolute choke in the playoffs.

As for ESPN piling on Reggie Wayne all morning what could the guy really have done? Manning focused on him from the snap and it just made jumping the route ridiculously easy. I hate how everyone is so afraid to criticize his holy masterfulness peyton manning just because of what he does during the regular season.

And as for Tony Dungy and his predictions.... well... all I can do is sit back smile and laugh.

+1 to the bolded...unless Wayne has radar in his helmet, he had NO CHANCE of doing much about that. No one had a shot at Porter that play.

Maybe saying he failed is a stretch. But he wasn't facing the impossible task you paint it to be. Consider:

- In Brady's first Super Bowl, he had 1:30 and no timeouts to get the team within field goal range. He did it.

- In Brady's second Super Bowl, he had 1:04 and all three timeouts to get the team within field goal range. He did it.

- In Brady's fourth Super Bowl, he had :29 and all three timeouts to get the team within field goal range. He lost ten yards.

Highly improbable? You better believe it. But it wasn't outside the realm of possibility.

And as for Reggie Wayne, did he look like Todd Pinkston on that last pass or what?

Brady had just finished off an incredible drive with under 3 minutes left. If Eli and Tyree don't connect for the craziest play in SB history, Brady is just given the title of greatest of all-time.

He had no chance of getting the Pats into field goal range after the sack. And remember that in the first two games, the Patriots were tied. Defenses are going to play it much safer without the lead. The defense let down Brady in that game. Firstly, Samuel should have picked off Eli on that drive, and secondly, Manning should never have escaped after being tied up on the Tyree catch.

As for this game, looks like I am in the minority here. I thought it was pretty boring. Both teams don't have great defenses and made sure to take away anything deep all game, which led to a lot of short passes underneath and long drives. If Manning scored on that final drive, we were set up for a classic finish.

Yea but lets not forget that the Giants D was pretty good.

Plus, Brady made his heroic game winning drive what 2 minutes prior.... Manning just made his at a better time lol

Edited by njdevils783

Also, the commercials ranged from decent to ultra-lame with a few standouts. My favs included:

1) The Google commerical with the "lifecycle of a relationship via Google searches" angle.

By far the best commercial of an otherwise weak crop. For me it went from "Wow, Google has to advertise? Everyone uses Google, why bother?" to "Wow, that was REALLY well done."

For the more traditional Super Bowl commercials, the Betty White/Abe Vigoda Snickers one wasn't bad, and the Letterman/Leno one was pretty good just because of the shock of seeing both of them in the same commercial, plus the timeliness of the whole Leno/Conan thing. Most of the other commercials were either really bad or just not memorable.

I'm not really trying to hate on Brady here. More than anything, I'm more arguing against things I've heard from other people and on the radio than against anything anyone here has said. It's this notion that Peyton falls short of the pedestal Montana and Brady occupy because of this one game. I think they're all right around the same level. I think there are certain things that should take Brady and Montana down a peg and there are things that Peyton isn't given enough credit for.

Brady and Montana had better defenses than anything Peyton has had. Brady and Montana had Belichick and Walsh, football coaches commonly referred to as "geniuses." Peyton does everything pretty much on his own, reading defenses and calling plays at the line of scrimmage. Montana had a team around him so good that it could only exist in the pre-salary cap era, including the greatest wide receiver to ever play the game. Brady had illegally obtained footage of opposition practices. Peyton had ... um ... Marvin Harrison. The Niners won after Montana left (having a Hall Of Fame QB waiting in the wings sure helped) and the Pats won with what's-his-name at QB last year. Without Peyton, the Colts are a nothing team still playing in the RCA Dome.

Sorry to let this get sidetracked into a breakdown of Brady's Super Bowls ... that wasn't my intention. Just trying to say that this one game shouldn't take any shine off of Peyton's career thus far, and shouldn't keep people from thinking he belongs in the same company as Brady and Montana.

I'm not really trying to hate on Brady here. More than anything, I'm more arguing against things I've heard from other people and on the radio than against anything anyone here has said. It's this notion that Peyton falls short of the pedestal Montana and Brady occupy because of this one game. I think they're all right around the same level. I think there are certain things that should take Brady and Montana down a peg and there are things that Peyton isn't given enough credit for.

Brady and Montana had better defenses than anything Peyton has had. Brady and Montana had Belichick and Walsh, football coaches commonly referred to as "geniuses." Peyton does everything pretty much on his own, reading defenses and calling plays at the line of scrimmage. Montana had a team around him so good that it could only exist in the pre-salary cap era, including the greatest wide receiver to ever play the game. Brady had illegally obtained footage of opposition practices. Peyton had ... um ... Marvin Harrison. The Niners won after Montana left (having a Hall Of Fame QB waiting in the wings sure helped) and the Pats won with what's-his-name at QB last year. Without Peyton, the Colts are a nothing team still playing in the RCA Dome.

Sorry to let this get sidetracked into a breakdown of Brady's Super Bowls ... that wasn't my intention. Just trying to say that this one game shouldn't take any shine off of Peyton's career thus far, and shouldn't keep people from thinking he belongs in the same company as Brady and Montana.

See I dont really see it as people having a problem putting him in the brady/montana group because his regular season stats are undeniably great. I think allot of people just feel that yesterday's 4th quarter keeps him from being the God that so many want to claim him to be. He's a great QB in or near the group of the all time greats, but he clearly isn't above them.

Agreed. It was a poor choice and an easy pick six. Interesting that Porter noted that he saw it coming and jumped the route. Wayne had a miserable game but come on ESPN. They are so pathetic. Think Montana doesn't tie that up? Steve Young? Peyton had a Tinman moment. And what about the odd playcalls down 14? Granted. They needed a miracle. But they had all three timeouts and took way too much time, looking completely disorganized. Not what you expect from the so-called "all-time greatest." Peyton's up there but he really took a hit last night. Especially up 10 and then getting outscored 31-7. You couldn't get those odds on Mars. Brees outplayed him and really was tremendous the whole final three quarters. I was very happy for him, Shockey and Payton, whose on-side was ballsy. Great call. Congrats to the city of New Orleans and Louisiana!