Preds sign Volchenkov for 1 year/ $1mill

hoekster316

Wow great deal for them. They're in a rough division but volchenkov will be worth every penny of that deal and more. He's still a very good pker.

I'm surprised there wasn't a better deal to be had. Hopefully Volch has a chance to show off to some western teams and get a nicer contract next year.

Wow great deal for them. They're in a rough division but volchenkov will be worth every penny of that deal and more. He's still a very good pker.

I'm surprised there wasn't a better deal to be had. Hopefully Volch has a chance to show off to some western teams and get a nicer contract next year.

I'm surprised too. You'd think the Islanders would've scooped him up as soon as we bought him out. But I guess that's expecting the Islanders to not be the Islanders.

• Like 1

nobody offered more than 1 year other than khl.

surprised the isles didn't match that offer - pretty sure he'd have taken that instead.

I think when some slower defenseman get bought out, it sends the wrong message to many GMs (obviously a former star forward is different) . This is a show me contract, but if anyone watched Volch, he can still play. Volchenkov wasn't bought because he couldn't play. The Devils wanted some cap space for a forward and had a logjam on defense.

GMs clearly aren't so sure. They see some healthy scratches, etc and they probably have no clue on him. Anyway the difference on Orpik's deal and the slightly younger Volchenkov is laughable.

Edited by devilsrule33

Volchenkov wasn't on Team Russia, Orpik was on Team USA.  Orpik also has been playing more minutes.  But yeah there isn't much evidence that Orpik is better.  Just sucks to be born in the wrong country, that's all.

As for Volchenkov, I'll be hoping he does well in Nashville, it seems like a good fit.

Edited by Triumph

Volchenkov wasn't on Team Russia, Orpik was on Team USA.  Orpik also has been playing more minutes.  But yeah there isn't much evidence that Orpik is better.  Just sucks to be born in the wrong country, that's all.

Absolutely love that Shero and Bylsma being a champion for their own guy making team USA has overrated this guy so much. Thank goodness Andy Greene wasn't on Team USA.

I thought Volchenkov is the one defenseman that blurred the country lines. Everyone knows he plays like a rough and touch big North American defenseman.

It's going to be sad when the Devils sign Bryce Salvador for more money next season.

Edited by devilsrule33

Volchenkov wasn't on Team Russia, Orpik was on Team USA. Orpik also has been playing more minutes. But yeah there isn't much evidence that Orpik is better. Just sucks to be born in the wrong country, that's all.

As for Volchenkov, I'll be hoping he does well in Nashville, it seems like a good fit.

Pretty sure Laviolette had some input in this signing as well.

Absolutely love that Shero and Bylsma being a champion for their own guy making team USA has overrated this guy so much. Thank goodness Andy Greene wasn't on Team USA.

I thought Volchenkov is the one defenseman that blurred the country lines. Everyone knows he plays like a rough and touch big North American defenseman.

It's going to be sad when the Devils sign Bryce Salvador for more money next season.

Dude, what are you on?  The Salvador comment is laughable, false, and due to his body wearing down, he'll be lucky to finish this year out remaining healthy.  The guy has talked about how he can't skate anymore due to his foot and groin injuries.  As for the bolded, I'm sure Andy Greene would beg to differ.  Your negativity is far outweighing logic at this point.  

If Andy Greene or Keith Yandle were on the US Olympic team at Sochi, things could have been different.  

Nashville gets a serviceable bottom pairing guy who is good on the PK,  good move by Poile.

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 1

Dude, what are you on?  The Salvador comment is laughable, false, and due to his body wearing down, he'll be lucky to finish this year out remaining healthy.  The guy has talked about how he can't skate anymore due to his foot and groin injuries.  As for the bolded, I'm sure Andy Greene would beg to differ.  Your negativity is far outweighing logic at this point.  

If Andy Greene or Keith Yandle were on the US Olympic team at Sochi, things could have been different.  

Nashville gets a serviceable bottom pairing guy who is good on the PK,  good move by Poile.

What am I on? You need to take a few plays off with that response. Tri was saying how Orpik being on Team USA (a place he had no business being), probably bumped up his contract. I'm responding by saying that thankfully Andy Greene didn't make team USA because the secret would be out (and right now he is one of the best kept secrets in the NHL), and he'd cost the Devils a lot more, either from Greene's agent trying to get more out of the Devils or from him telling Andy to test free agency because he's an Olympian and Olympians get paid.

What negativity are you possibly talking about with regards to Greene?

Not sure what's so laughable about the Salvador comment. Lou loves him. Pete loves him. He's the Devils captain. If he wants to come back, I don't think it be at a salary that's over $2.2 million less than this season.  If Lou was comfortable giving him his contract after 2012, (a very bad contract), I don't think it's laughable to say he might want him back at $1.5 or so.

Edited by devilsrule33

I think when some slower defenseman get bought out, it sends the wrong message to many GMs (obviously a former star forward is different) . This is a show me contract, but if anyone watched Volch, he can still play. Volchenkov wasn't bought because he couldn't play. The Devils wanted some cap space for a forward and had a logjam on defense.

GMs clearly aren't so sure. They see some healthy scratches, etc and they probably have no clue on him. Anyway the difference on Orpik's deal and the slightly younger Volchenkov is laughable.

I also think some teams are wary of devils players with the whole "is he a product of the system" stigma. Although we've had defensemen leave to other teams and be quite good too.

I don't think dr33 is hoping Salvador will be back, rather he thinks Lou will offer hi. Another loyalty contract next offseason, and I donut think that is too crazy to expect as long as he does stay healthy.

Also, I think you misread the Greene part. If orpik can cash in for $5 mil a year since he was on team USA, that means Greene could have hypothetically used a team USA nod as a chip when he negotiates a deal and gotten upwards of 7 mil. We all know Greene is better than orpik and probably right on par with Martin, but I want him back here on a team friendly deal if at all possible.

Not sure what's so laughable about the Salvador comment. Lou loves him. Pete loves him. He's the Devils captain. If he wants to come back, I don't think it be at a salary that's over $2.2 million less than this season.  If Lou was comfortable giving him his contract after 2012, (a very bad contract), I don't think it's laughable to say he might want him back at $1.5 or so.

For risk of derailing the thread, I kind of wonder how much the Salvador's deal was connected with the attempt to retain Parise, since they are evidently friends.  Whatever the case, I'm cautiously optimistic that whether Salvador gets a new deal after this year will depend on how well the younger defenseman perform.  As it stands now, Salvador has proven to be adequate on the PK, and we don't yet know whether Merrill or Larsson will be able to take over that role.  If it comes down to a Zidlicky type situation where Sal is on a one year deal basis going forward, it shouldn't be the end of the world. 

I'm not positive how buyouts work. Could Lou have signed him to basically this same deal? Any devils fan would take him for that cap hit

no, the compliance buyout meant he could not re-sign with the devils.

Edit: and I also think the nhl would have something to say if a team tried to work around this by say, buying out a player, have him sign with another team at a lower hit and then trade for him afterwards. We know how they are with that pesky "spirit of the cba" thing.

Edited by dmann422