The Kovy Conundrum

Z-Man

Honestly I haven't noticed a difference in him playing RW than he was playing LW from last year. For others to suggest that him playing RW as an excuse for him not playing well is absurd.

Shooting lane are way different! Kovalchuk use those shooting lane when they are offwing! kovalchuk is always on his backhand when he cuts to the center when he plays RW. (that why he pass instead of cutting in the middle) From Lw he is in forehand and he can releas his rocket... Kovalchuk score 80% of his goal like that. Look at his last goals... he was coming from the left... on 6 goals this year 5 comes from left side ( only one vs florida from the right side)

If they stay together parise should play RW because he dont use any of this shooting lane... parisé score from the crease.. He is a great player but not a sniper...

Kovalchuk key as a scorer his to score on rush situation and being offwing give him the shooting lane he deserve and need to be succesful!

Shooting lane are way different! Kovalchuk use those shooting lane when they are offwing! kovalchuk is always on his backhand when he cuts to the center when he plays RW. (that why he pass instead of cutting in the middle) From Lw he is in forehand and he can releas his rocket... Kovalchuk score 80% of his goal like that. Look at his last goals... he was coming from the left... on 6 goals this year 5 comes from left side ( only one vs florida from the right side)

If they stay together parise should play RW because he dont use any of this shooting lane... parisé score from the crease.. He is a great player but not a sniper...

Kovalchuk key as a scorer his to score on rush situation and being offwing give him the shooting lane he deserve and need to be succesful!

So if he scores 80% of his goals because he is on the left wing, if he was moved to RW from the minute he stepped into the NHL he would have only scored 75 goals in 722 games up until this point? And this is with all the talent this world-class hockey player has?

In defending him, you are not giving him enough credit.

Not a whole lot.

Are you suggesting that it was easier for Zach to come out of a position he did well at for 4 years and then try a new one and run with it was harder than Kovy playing 10+ games at a new position that is not as drastic of a change? center to winger and vice versa is much different than winger to winger.

Except Zach sucked as a C in the first half of his first NHL season, then picked it up after he got moved to LW. And he was invisible as a C this year when we moved him there for a few games. There IS a difference in playing a position in college and playing it in the pros.

So if he scores 80% of his goals because he is on the left wing, if he was moved to RW from the minute he stepped into the NHL he would have only scored 75 goals in 722 games up until this point? And this is with all the talent this world-class hockey player has?

In defending him, you are not giving him enough credit.

He is an elite player but he is more effective on the left side.... I didn't say he is a poor RW but for his benefit and for the team he would be use more correctly at LW...

If you dont believe in what i say just wait until he find his LW spot.. (you will see more shot and goals)

Someone already post a video of his goals from Left side

He is an elite player but he is more effective on the left side.... I didn't say he is a poor RW but for his benefit and for the team he would be use more correctly at LW...

If you dont believe in what i say just wait until he find his LW spot.. (you will see more shot and goals)

Someone already post a video of his goals from Left side

Would he be better on a different line and on the LW instead of with Parise and on the RW? I do think so.

What I do not understand is why all the Kovy defenders are not just saying that he is going through a rough patch now? Every player has them and honestly that is an explanation I can accept. But to just blame everything else under the sun (wrong line, wrong position, coach is "using him wrong", etc.) is just plain silly.

Would he be better on a different line and on the LW instead of with Parise and on the RW? I do think so.

What I do not understand is why all the Kovy defenders are not just saying that he is going through a rough patch now? Every player has them and honestly that is an explanation I can accept. But to just blame everything else under the sun (wrong line, wrong position, coach is "using him wrong", etc.) is just plain silly.

Yes he would be better at Lw even if parise is not on his line.

The things i blame is the wrong position for the reason that i gave previously... (those shooting lane for a sniper)

That all the effort is there and all that... But Lw he is not the same player

ESPN Pierre LeBrun

Rwoodwell000: Why at times does Ilya Kovalchuk look like one of the top players in the world and at other times like he doesn't even belong in the AHL? Just in the Minnesota game he fans on a shot from the point Heatley goes and buries it and then he just trips over the blue line and Minnesota scores again for two unassisted goals in about 5 minutes. Finally later in that game he works his magic in the offensive zone fires a shot and scores. I do not get it, it’s sickening. Any thoughts about this?

My take: He has always been a total enigma to me. I know from talking to people who know him well that he’s misunderstood. He truly cares about winning. But to have his kind of talent and have only six goals in 20 games this season (plus a minus-11 rating) is truly mind-boggling. From day one, his signing in New Jersey never truly fit. His linemates often look like they’re forcing passes to him. He should have taken less money and gone to Los Angeles in the summer of 2010. I think he would have found better chemistry with Anze Kopitar, much like he had with Marc Savard in Atlanta.

Indeed. And coincidentally both of Kovys "rough patches" (first half of last season and this one) have been occurring at the same time he's been forced to play on RW. Completely randomly and coincidentally of course.

Indeed. And coincidentally both of Kovys "rough patches" (first half of last season and this one) have been occurring at the same time he's been forced to play on RW. Completely randomly and coincidentally of course.

Kovalchuk did his worst play at LW last year - after Zach went down, he was playing LW exclusively and poorly - and he is playing really well at RW now. Stop looking at plus minus and watch the games.

yo not for nothing, our offense the last few games has been all Parise-Henrique- and Kovy.

and im sorry, but even before the last few games where they've scored, that line was hustling. In the game against the Islanders it seemed that thats the only line that cared

Kovalchuk did his worst play at LW last year - after Zach went down, he was playing LW exclusively and poorly - and he is playing really well at RW now. Stop looking at plus minus and watch the games.

And that's how you know the board's truly gone loopy, when the resident stats guy is telling others to stop looking at stats. :dizzy:

And that's how you know the board's truly gone loopy, when the resident stats guy is telling others to stop looking at stats. :dizzy:

:giggle:

Kovalchuk and Parise contract threads are what hold my interest the most at NJDevs.com. It's the most interesting thing about this team this year so far. That and the team's financial woes.

Edited by Jerrydevil

1) Kovy's extremely talented, but flawed. We knew that when we brought him in. He's playing hard and doing a lot right. We have to hope he keeps improving. He is better than when we got here, even with the mistakes. He's doing a decent job on the best PK in the league!

2) He hasn't played BADLY since shifting to RW. That line's been the best on the team by far, in fact, and he's a big part of it. That said, his shot is less effective from the left. He'll put up better stats on that side.

3) This team was flawed, then it lost Zajac. The lines aren't going to be anywhere near perfect without him. With him, Kovy can go back to LW and our top 9 looks very good. Til then, guys are battling, sometimes out of position. It's not fair to expect ANYONE to be perfect right now, no matter how much money he's making.

the thing with Kovy is that he's the most talented player in the team... arguably top 10 in the league talent wise...

he can score goals not a lot of people can score... he's stronger and bigger than the average player... and has one of the best wrister and one of the best one timer in the league

whats killing him is his risky decisions... its a mental mistake, he just need to simplify his game and it should be alright... and he seems willing to do wtv it takes to become a better player so there's hope

it can be done

the thing with Kovy is that he's the most talented player in the team... arguably top 10 in the league talent wise...

he can score goals not a lot of people can score... he's stronger and bigger than the average player... and has one of the best wrister and one of the best one timer in the league

whats killing him is his risky decisions... its a mental mistake, he just need to simplify his game and it should be alright... and he seems willing to do wtv it takes to become a better player so there's hope

it can be done

it can be done....with a coach he looks up to like Jaques Lemaire, I dont think he has nearly as much respect for Debo

it can be done....with a coach he looks up to like Jaques Lemaire, I dont think he has nearly as much respect for Debo

What makes you think that? He's double shifted, played on every line, and played RW without complaining. He hasn't been perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I see no evidence that his problems come from lack of respect for the coaches.