The Crow-Eating Thread

RowdyFan42

was cautiously optimistic, but I knew if we played the way we know how this season we could do it! I'll admit, at times it was hard to keep the faith, especially after Game 1

Truth. The first four periods of the series were rough. But from the second period of Game 2 on, it was like someone gave the Devils uppers and roofied the Flyers. A very, very welcome surprise.

I thought if we won, it would take 7, with Marty standing on his head and Bryz struggling badly. Instead, we pounded them, Bryz kept them in a couple of games, and, while Marty was brilliant at the end of the series, he had some shaky moments. These guys just keep picking each other up and elevating each other. Let's hope they can sustain it for 8 more wins.

It just shows how much pressure got taken off by that first-round win. The Devils needed to win the first round, and once they did they turned it up another level in this series.

Good point. Could be a big reason why

Also while a lot of posters argued that no NHL team plays a full 60 minutes when I argued that the Devils were struggling with it, they came out and played 4 60 minute games. Well one was OT but you get what I mean.

I was all but certain that after we squeaked by the Panthers that the Flyers would handle us, but it just shows that the Devils style just matched up better against Philly. The reason Philly beat Pittsburgh (who are a huge skill team) is because their physical play put them off their game and the Pens never recovered. Devils elevated their play and played above the garbage and played a great forecheck and scored more goals.

Next round Devils will have to elevate their play even more, Rangers or Caps. It'll be about prevented chances like this round but also about taking quality shots on the goalies. Holtby/Lundqvist are miles better than Bryzgalov/Theodore/Clemmensen and it'll take a lot to get quality shots through either team's shot-blocking. It will be a challenge, but after this round, anything is possible.

Sometimes winning that 1st round series is the hardest part. I won't say that I didn't think the Devils could win this series. We played them tough in the regular season (split the season series). I thought it wold go 7. However, I worried about Philly's playmakers and feared their team speed would overwhelm the Devils over a long 7 games. Bryz was the wildcard and if we could rattle him, Philly could be beat. I never thought we'd make it look so easy, and make it look like we were clearly the more talented and faster skating team of the 2. Well done boys...now keep it going through round 3.

Edited by Chuck the Duck

we did squeak by florida but they got a lot of breaks...their power play carried them at an unbelievable clip and we did a terrible job with leads

also i think they got under estimated as a playoff team a lot of guys stepped up for them

i think the reason everyone was so down on us this series was that pitt got so over estimated going into the playoffs that when philly beat them they took the mantle

besides we had a difficult time against the panthers all year

/threadjack

In future perhaps some folks will think twice about making fun of or berating fans who have a positive outlook. Speaking for myself, some of the posters were rude for not agreeing with the majority. I know how the game is played and what is going on. It was disheartening to see folks who know me join the masses. Remember this is a forum and everyone is entitled to their opinion regardless of how others think. I will continue to see the glass half full and always take it 1 game at a time.

/end threadjack

Sorry for the threadjack.

Speaking for myself, some of the posters were rude for not agreeing with the majority.

so you feel that since people dont agree with the majority they are in the wrong? majority rules?

Edited by hockey3893498

/threadjack

In future perhaps some folks will think twice about making fun of or berating fans who have a positive outlook. Speaking for myself, some of the posters were rude for not agreeing with the majority. I know how the game is played and what is going on. It was disheartening to see folks who know me join the masses. Remember this is a forum and everyone is entitled to their opinion regardless of how others think. I will continue to see the glass half full and always take it 1 game at a time.

/end threadjack

Sorry for the threadjack.

Good post. I commented about how I was picking the Devils to win before and how I was surprised that more Devils fans weren't. I'll admit I went a bit too far and maybe implied that they were wrong for picking against us, and I apologize for that. But it was frustrating to me to see how confident everyone else in the hockey world was that the Flyers would win, and I thought if anybody should stand up and say we had a shot, it should be Devils fans. It wasn't too bad around here, but some people definitely did make me feel like my picking the Devils was "wrong" or that I wasn't being objective and was only speaking as a fan of the team. I would be lying if I said that I thought we'd roll over the Flyers in 5, but I still feel somewhat justified in picking the Devils in 7.

I didn't berate the happy fans, but that Florida series didn't do much to inspire confidence (until back to back OT wins in 6 & 7). I'm eating crow because after seeing the way Philly stepped up in Game 1 after our awesome first period, I thought that would be the way the rest of the series went. We couldn't hang with them at all and I was starting to fear a 5 game series in the bad direction. Really happy to enjoy my crow today (grilled, not fried).

I'm extremely glad and proud they did it! :) The past few springs were far too short for the Devils and not many anticipated a change this year. I fully expected the Devils to beat the Panthers and then go out in the 2nd round. Game 1 of the Flyers series only cemented my pessimism. Boy, am I glad it all changed. :) The 2nd period of Game 2 made me believe we can beat Philly, though I was afraid we would blow it. Game 3 turned me into an optimist altogether B ) (but still a bit cautious).

It's just tremendous how far teamwork and discipline can take you. The boost you get in cofindence in your team after it wins a series you expected them to lose in five games is unbelievable.

Edited by Revan

I have nothing against the happy fans who don't flaunt themselves as superior asswipes.

Seconded, I don't think there was any berating of other fans going on. I was berating the team during the Florida series, but not the fans. Or people are confusing disagreement with 'berating'. I know I disagreed with people who thought Game 1 against the Flyers was encouraging and that we outplayed them, but I don't think I ever said someone can't be optomistic in general.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I have nothing against the happy fans who don't flaunt themselves as superior asswipes.

Yeah I'm not bothered by optimistic fans. It's just annoying when you're getting preached at and told you are "not a true fan" because you aren't blindly supportive of them. I don't care for that rhetoric, because I come here for interesting critical discussion of the Devils and the NHL. If we're all just gonna sit around and talk about how amazing the Devils are even when they aren't and don't deserve the praise what's the point of spending time here?

• Like 2